3 replies to this topic

#1 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 07, 2010 - 11:04 PM

Anybody start their own garden plants indoors? I'm going to try it this year. It's sure a lot easier to go buy them in the store, but that's getting too expensive for a bigger sized garden. I want to build a hot bed too.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted March 08, 2010 - 06:31 AM

I usually start my Tomato plants inside. And keep them by the window.

#3 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted April 19, 2010 - 07:24 PM

The only items I grow are tomatoes because you cannot get tomatoes from the supermarket that taste like tomatoes. Back in the 70's, I used to go to the local nurseries and buy their starts but all they ever sold were hybridized determinate plants that were primarily developed for commercial growers. Years later, I discovered the "heirloom movement". These were mostly home gardeners who continued to save their own seeds from crops they grew from seeds that had been handed down from family and friends.

Most of these tomato varieties are of the indeterminate vining type that will continue to grow and produce flowers/fruit until hit by a killing frost. I have grown tomatoes that, when ripe, are red, yellow, orange, pink, green, brown, black, purple, white, bi-colour and striped. Last season I had over sixty plants in the ground consisting of more than 20 different varieties. Too bad the growing conditions were almost as abysmal as they were the year before but that's gardening for you. It's a humbling experience. Beginners think that they can find all the answers in books and on forums but Mother Nature just laughs at the newbies and shows them who's really the boss. Eventually, you come to the realization that everything that you do is miniscule in the overall scheme of things. The bulk of success is totally out of your hands and it all comes down to the amount of sunshine and heat that really matters. You can add nutrient and you can add water but you cannot buy sunshine anywhere.
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 19, 2010 - 07:43 PM