• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 FilledTires OFFLINE  

• Member No: 48125
  • 224 Thanks
  • 192 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 01:07 PM

Hi Everyone,

I need to lift my Kohler K341 again and instead of doing it by hand, I am going to use either a lift or my FEL to lift it out and again to re-install.

My question is how should I go about attaching the engine to a lift?

Is it ok to screw in Eye Bolts into the same holes the cylinder head uses? Or should I attach them into where the starter and carb screw into?

This time I need to remove the engine to get to the Hydraulic Control Valve for replacement.

#2 1oldbuzz OFFLINE  

• Member No: 61298
  • 252 Thanks
  • 242 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 01:23 PM

I would think an eye bolt will be OK

however mine had a lift eye/bracket attached to the head

• FilledTires said thank you

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 6,360 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 01:45 PM

Some engines like Briggs mostly and have seen others have a loop or more like a bent metal bracket with a hole or maybe two in them bolted to head bolts. They are not really very heavy,but figure that is what factory used to drop them into the tractor chassis when assembling.  Maybe that is part of Specs and are ordered that way by assemblers yet don't come on replacement or new engines sold seperate? I would think you could make your own bracket and use headbolts OR, as you noted an eyebolt for temp use. If you make a bracket, you could leave it on engine all the time. Eyebolt would have to come off each time. Either way should re-torque those bolts loosened or maybe all of them when done.

I have used small lift slings, cloth and looped onto driveshaft, around the blower  housing and other items with my engine lift. These are a small loop of cloth strapping made for lifting. Sometimes you need more than one to get like three areas lifted on so as not to just tip whole thing over once in air. The straps are not as secure and you have to make sure not to lift on carbs or other soft items that might get damaged.

• Alc, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#4 tater195 OFFLINE  

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,252 Thanks
  • 891 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 01:49 PM

make sure where ever you tie on to it, it will be secure, balanced and a straight pick. The higher the attach point the better and make sure if you use eye bolts in the head, that they are threaded in good. These engines arent that heavy (compared to a SBC) but there is a chance of pulling the threads out and damaging the block. I have pulled a k582 without a hoist a few times. I dont recommend doing that too often. :(  

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 02:36 PM

An FEL might be a bad choice if there is anything near the engine for it to catch on as it comes up off the frame. If you have a chain hoist or even a floor jack can be used to lift the engine out with a little work.Heres a picture of what I did on my 314 to get the K321 out of it. It's the last post on that page. http://gardentractor... engine hoist#

• MH81, Alc, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#6 FilledTires OFFLINE  

• Member No: 48125
  • 224 Thanks
  • 192 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 02:43 PM

Thanks everyone! Great thoughts by all. 

Brian, I loved the hoist rig you made! I may try something similar.

As you said the engine isn't terribly heavy, but can be awkward positioning the engine to mount back in the tractor.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

• JDBrian said thank you

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,638 Thanks
  • 8,520 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 03:05 PM

I forget what they are called but they are webbed material sewn together in a figure 8.  I use them to attach to the engine then have chain with hooks to loop through the figure 8's and an engine hoist to lift the engine out.  As GlG said some engines have a bracket to lift the engine and when they do I use it.

• Alc, JDBrian, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#8 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 2,827 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 05:26 PM

I made one from a piece of angle iron one time. I made it long enough to reach across two head bolts. I then drilled a hole in the center of the upper side for the lift hook. I would be more comfortable lifting across two bolts rather than one with an eye bolt.

• HANKG and FilledTires have said thanks

#9 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,757 Thanks
  • 4,264 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 06:31 PM

I have lifted car engines with transmission attached with two bolts down into the intake where the carb bolts on.  A short piece of 1/4" chain with the bolts through a link on each bolt was enough to hold the complete assembly.  Those engines were a heck of a lot heavier than what your lifting.  One eye bolt threaded into the head till it is snug, 1" minimum would hold it. Just use a steady pull and no jerking.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,665 Thanks
  • 28,317 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 07:11 PM

One thing to consider, using closed loop eye bolts instead of the ones just bent into a loop.
  • JDBrian, boyscout862 and FilledTires have said thanks