24 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 12:27 PM

Looking at property. Got to talk to the realtor today and he told me it is not survey. It's a 15 acre piece of property and the 2 lots are for sale but not yet divided out. Each will be 1.5 to 2 acres a piece. Is this common? No has said where the markers will be. I told the realtor we want to make an offer on the lots asap and need to know where the heck the markers are going to be.

Should I be leery? Or am I over thinking this? It is listed with a very reputable agency and I have purchased a home through them 10 years ago

I told the realtor if it isn't divide we would like to choose how it's divided. And have the owners there to discuss this.

20k for 2 acres of flat property is cheap and I really want it.

Edited by toomanytoys84, December 27, 2014 - 12:29 PM.

• hamman, oldedeeres, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 12:33 PM

I wouldn't touch it till the deed survey is done & markers placed.

• GTTinkerer, hamman, Lauber1 and 6 others have said thanks

#3 Coventry Plumber ONLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 12:53 PM

You can never be too precautionary . And also don't let on that you really want it , let them work to sell it. Hope it works out for you.
  • hamman, boyscout862, toomanytoys84 and 1 other said thanks

#4 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 01:03 PM

As has been said, caution on this and then when they are surveyed you can offer on them. There is 10 acres behind us that they want $ 9000.00 for. We really want it but there has never been a proper and legal survey on it. I won't offer on it until there is one.                            Good luck.                                       Roger

• boyscout862, TomLGT195 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#5 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 01:05 PM

yep run like heck, if it aint marked and recorded someplace for the boundaries, you would have no leg to stand on, later on in court. without a deed showing the lots all they have to sell is a 15 acre field. make sure you get a lawyer involved and protect yourself.

• boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#6 Little Irish Men ONLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 664 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 01:51 PM

If you can do the leg work go to your county court house they should help you fine the property deed .And do a title search ,the realtor should know how to do this also . A lawyer will charge to do what you can do for free. the surveyed cost  should be split 50/50

so you know were the property lines are . And when they survey they should used permanent corner marker

• superaben, oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 01:54 PM

Is this to be a sub-division? or at least more lots in future?  Was wondering why just a few acres offered from it now? Before building one would have to know perk tests for sanitary feilds if this applies and well water easy to reach. Any building codes that would require odd things to be done, like drainage and etc. even to other buyers next to you.  If in some IN counties you need nearly an actre set aside to just have septic system. they reccommend buying 5acres Min for country lots. YOu would not be allowed to have a house and system built on that 2 acres here. Check the local laws. Make sure if nearer City, you won't have to run utilities out to it and cost more also.

• oldedeeres, TomLGT195 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 02:02 PM

I bought my 4+ A. off a farm.  The realtor was the farm manager and I worked through him.  We walked the boundaries and used existing corner post on three of the 6 corners.  On the other 3 we put a flag in the ground where we agreed them to be.  Agreed on the price and the seller had to do the survey.  The survey was done using our agreed upon corners.  The piece is in an L shape, along a road where part of the road makes a 90° corner.  Had no problems what so ever though it took quite some time to get the survey all done.  This was due to a road continuing through the ground at the corner way back in the late 1890's. It was not recorded when it was closed or who got what portion of the road.  The boundary we agree on took all of the road right of way, when legally 1/2 of the road belonged to the neighbor. Owner had to buy that 30' from the neighbor before they could finish the deed.

If the bordering ground has not been surveyed, you and the realtor can agree on the boundary markers and they can do the survey using them.  If the ground has been surveyed the markers should be there already and they will be recorded.  Get your attorney involved from the start and he will take care of all that for you.  Buy it as a one piece unit and don't let them tell you how to divide it.  Just be sure it is large enough to make 2 lots for your zoning ordinances.  Again, your attorney will take care of that for you.  Good luck.

• oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#9 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 02:08 PM

20k for 2 acres of flat property is cheap and I really want it.

What if it is 1.5 acres and the county wont let you build on it?

Do your homework, you dont want to be out 20k (plus closing costs) on land you cant build on and cant sell for what you have invested

we had to pay to get ours surveyed TWICE because we bought 3 acres and the county changed their mind and said we needed 5 to build on

• boyscout862, oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#10 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 02:26 PM

What if it is 1.5 acres and the county wont let you build on it?
Do your homework, you dont want to be out 20k (plus closing costs) on land you cant build on and cant sell for what you have invested
we had to pay to get ours surveyed TWICE because we bought 3 acres and the county changed their mind and said we needed 5 to build on

Going to check into what you guys are saying. The housing developments around here don't have even a .25 acres of land with each house and they all have septic systems.

I've never heard of needing a certain amount of land to build on around here. We don't have any zoning laws or such in our little hole in the wall town.

I have 10 acres up the road about 15 minutes from the house but it's all wooded hilly and ugly for building with no water power ect near it. Got a killer deal on it. Great for a house if you want to be off grid and use solar and wind power

Edited by toomanytoys84, December 27, 2014 - 02:32 PM.

• hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#11 DennyIN OFFLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 292 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 02:56 PM

The township I live in is county and requires a minimum of 3 acres for a residential structure. As mentioned above, think of a perc test, which may dictate the septic system size, if no septic hookup is available. Finger systems in my area, according to local law, is just below the surface of the ground, so potentially you won't be able to drive anything heavier than a lawn tractor over it or may not be a good option for livestock. The theory for the below surface finger system is the liquid evaporates instead of filtering back into the ground. A perimeter drain may also be required around that finger system. If you have plans for a garden or out building, these down the road options should be accounted for up front. Good Luck!     

• oldedeeres said thank you

#12 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 05:36 PM

I would never buy unless it's surveyed first. Two reasons, you will know what your buying & it's very expensive. Make sure there are no liens on it. I know this sounds stupid but make sure they are no mineral rights held by someone in the past, it has happened. Check your local zoning to make sure what minimum lot size is required to build on.

I had 9.75 acres for 12 years. I had planned on building on half & selling the other half or so. During that time new building regulations hit & required no less than 5 acre building sites. I was also in the country outside of a little one horse town...you just never know.

• oldedeeres and Oldford have said thanks

#13 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 05:39 PM

I have been doing land surveying for many years if you need info let me know
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#14 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 05:48 PM

http://www.aplacetog...m/zoneplan.html

That's confusing enough. Going to call the number on that site. Reading that leads me to believe that there are no regulations on lot size for building. 5 acres min is a huge area for one house.

The only thing they seem concerned with is the flood plains. Which are numerous. But that property is not in that.

Edited by toomanytoys84, December 27, 2014 - 05:49 PM.

#15 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 05:55 PM

Better check the fema maps. Flood insurance is ridiculous expensive and new construction has very strict rules now