#1 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted December 25, 2014 - 08:26 PM

I am working on an engine for my neighbor and am at a loss, the engine was clunking really bad so I removed it and tore it apart. cant find anything obvious wrong with it.  I honestly believe it is the crank end play that is way out but cant seem to find anything out there on how to adjust the end play.

I have the engine completely disassembled now and when I put the case back together the crank fits good, turns free and only has just a little end play.  before I disassembled the engine it had at least 1/8" play in the crank.

Any thoughts or help ??

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted December 25, 2014 - 11:52 PM

I'd let that Courage clunk itself to death and then go out and buy a real engine.  Once they start knocking, every minute it runs is a blessing.  I'm not trying to be facetious, you are just spending time on a cheap engine.  I think your time is valuable. 

I'd check the valve clearances while you are there.  Kohlers will knock when the valves are not right. 

End play can be taken up in a cheap way by sealing the two engine halves together with silicone instead of a gasket. 

Ben W.

• Alc, WNYTractorTinkerer and petrj6 have said thanks

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,301 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted December 26, 2014 - 02:42 AM

Ya those engines are (for lack of a better word) complete garbage.

If it's knocking and the Connecting Rod is within Spec I would check the Counter Balance.When they let go (and they will) they completely destroy the engine.

My neighbors newer $1850 Husqvarna rider has around 60 hours on it.22hp Kohler Courage.He's had it for almost a year and Home Depot only offers 90 day Warranty so he had me look at it.The block had cracked just behind the cylinder.The aluminum is so thin on these they can Literally fly apart because of Compression.

Video of where they often crack.

• Alc and petrj6 have said thanks

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,301 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted December 26, 2014 - 02:48 AM

Put a Briggs Intek or Kohler Command or Briggs Opposed twin or Briggs V twin in it.You can find them used pretty cheap.

The Opposed Twin Briggs will outlast the mower if the oil is kept clean and the Fuel pump is working correctly.Don't run them Lean.That's about the only thing that kills them.

• Alc and superaben have said thanks

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,301 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted December 26, 2014 - 03:16 AM

$100 mower with Good engine

http://albany.craigs...4804233919.html

Pretty good deal on that one.The Red Tops are all Cast Iron sleeved.

• Alc said thank you

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,456 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted December 26, 2014 - 06:15 AM

From what you members are saying it's really pitiful that they would make an engine that has so flaws in it :(   If anything you would think each new engine design would be BETTER then the pervious . I'm guessing the only thing is the new engine is cheaper to build

#7 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted December 26, 2014 - 10:58 AM

I have the engine totally torn apart on the bench, everything looks good in there, nothing overly worn or out of tolerance, I am going to re-ring it and replace all the gaskets and seals then put it back together.  Superaben has it rite, I am going to rtv the end cover back on to take up the end play.  if it was mine I would go a different route but my neighbor wants to re-use this engine and keep the tractor as a spare.

Anyone know what the valve clearances should be ?

Pete

• superaben said thank you

#8 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted December 26, 2014 - 05:22 PM

Makes me feel blessed to have the "K" series Kohlers!

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 26, 2014 - 06:52 PM

I'm not sure what model you are working with but here is the manual on Kohler's site: http://www.kohlereng...m_20_690_01.pdf

#10 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,316 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted December 26, 2014 - 07:51 PM

Weld the dang Counterbalance in place on both sides and re-install the crankshaft with new seals and run the thing!  You know it is a ticking time bomb the way it is so a few beads of weld in there won't make things any worse!  Just my opinion since you tore the thing down this far.  It will be interesting to know how long the engine lasts after you do that!  JMO

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, December 26, 2014 - 07:52 PM.

#11 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted December 26, 2014 - 10:34 PM

I don't think I've ever adjusted valves on a Courage.  All the ones I've seen just didn't last long enough to wear the valves...  :smilewink:

Sorry.  I just have to fuss at Courage.  They really disappoint me.  I love my old Kohlers (best GT engine after Wisconsin stopped making garden tractor engines) and the quality was the best.  Now they make simply the worst of the worst cheap engines on the market produced by a major brand.

Ben W.