• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted December 25, 2014 - 12:59 PM

I am soon going to go from Tracfone prepaid to AT&T so I can go unlimited. Tracfone for me half the time is as costly as an unlimited plan somewhere else anymore.  AT&T has great coverage in my area.  My daughters all use I-phone and just now I was looking at GTtalk on Kaylin's phone & it's awesome.  With my bifocals it's easy as heck to read, without even expanding the text.

Is there anything I don't know as far as technical stuff as far as GTtalk is concerned?  

Also, I want the smaller I-phone 4s, as by the time I put it in an "Otter Box", that's as large as I would want.  Kaylin's is a 4S and it's fine as far as screen size.

Any of you guys upgraded & have an AT&T I-phone 4 for sale?

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 25, 2014 - 01:32 PM

We just went to a smartphone.  In our research we came out better with Smartphone then we did with Verizon.  We get the same coverage, 3 GB of data and you can use the Iphone or android.  I prefer the android because it is an open OS where the Iphone is proprietary.  The wife and I got a good deal on the Samsung SIII from Walmart. The thing I like is you can pick what cell phone network it piggybacks off of so in your case AT&T would the best choice.

Our granddaughter has the Iphone 5 and we just discovered a Pita bug with it.  It doesn't want to stay logged onto a network (WIFI) which means you are using data from your carrier.  I'm told another issue you may want to watch with the IPhone is that the 4 you can only upgrade the OS so far so if you find an app you would like to use it may or may not work. 

I agree with you on the size thing.  Our son has the note 4 (I think) and it is like carrying around a table all day.  Our Samsung's grew quite a bit when we put them in the outterbox case.  Also if you are going to put an SSD card in your phone put it in before you put the phone in the case.  Getting that case off is a PITA.

• olcowhand said thank you

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted December 25, 2014 - 02:05 PM

Walmart's "Straight Talk" coverage area shows my entire area as zero coverage.  

#4 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,233 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted December 25, 2014 - 02:52 PM

Go android and enjoy the freedom from apple products!

Samsung Galaxy S5 is probably the finest phone on the market.

Be careful choosing to go with a 4 year old phone and being locked into a 2 year plan without upgrades during that period. I'd go at least with the 5S.

when apple decides to stop supporting updates for the 4 you won't be able to do much with it because most the apps will require the new iOS to work.
  • olcowhand, HDWildBill and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 25, 2014 - 03:05 PM

Walmart's "Straight Talk" coverage area shows my entire area as zero coverage.  

If you get reception from AT&T you should have no problem with Straight talk.  You just need to make sure the phone you buy has the AT&T chip in it.  I just checked Walmart and the Verizon Galaxy would not work in your area but the AT&T Nokie does.  If you look on the package there is a map each phone has a different color map which denotes what phone service it piggy backs off of.   You can go here and see what phones work in your area.

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 25, 2014 - 03:19 PM

Dan,

You can probably get the Galaxy S3 or S4 for a decent price now that the S5 has been out for a while. If you are going to be signing up for a new smartphone plan you may be better off buying the phone with the plan as they do discount them, sometimes often free depending on the phone but you will have a two year agreement. My phone of choice is the Nexus 5. 

#7 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,782 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted December 25, 2014 - 03:38 PM

My wife has a Samsung Mega and she uses it instead of her laptop. She said she will never get a "smaller" smartphone again.

#8 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,233 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted December 25, 2014 - 09:12 PM

Dan,
You can probably get the Galaxy S3 or S4 for a decent price now that the S5 has been out for a while. If you are going to be signing up for a new smartphone plan you may be better off buying the phone with the plan as they do discount them, sometimes often free depending on the phone but you will have a two year agreement. My phone of choice is the Nexus 5.

I got my s4 right before the 5 came out for 49.99 on special at Verizon.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted December 25, 2014 - 09:37 PM

I love my apple products... But... They are different to use. There is a learning curve, but it's usually intuitive once you find out how to use it.
Karen had an S3, I found it arduous and glitchy. It has to have been designed by a windows guy.
Her new phone is an htc desire 610. The little I've used it, I have liked what I saw. She loves it and would never go back. She finds it much easier to use than the Samsung or my nokia.

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted December 26, 2014 - 06:25 AM

With an iphone and unlimited data you should be pretty well set . Those new phones ( most brands )  can do so much , my daughter doesn't use a gps or compact camera anymore , and with all the apps you can chose from you'll be finding ones to help with all sorts of things , Good Luck with it

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted December 26, 2014 - 01:48 PM

Got an Asus padphone X mini today...on it now.
  • MH81, sacsr and EricR have said thanks

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted December 26, 2014 - 01:50 PM

It has a 7" display the phone slips into to have a notepad system.  Best of both.  Lots to learn, but I like it.  Android based.

#13 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,405 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted December 26, 2014 - 02:51 PM

Well I just picked an LG3 and a free LG G tablet with it !! Absolutely the best deal out their from Verizon . Both the phone and the tablet have rave reviews too . We'll see ? As the wife has the phone and my daughter won't let me touch MY tablet.... Gad zukes.... 99% of the time I post from my Samsung Galaxy Nexus and it still works awesome after 3 years ! My brother has an I phone S5 and hates it ? Not sure why ?

#14 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted December 26, 2014 - 05:46 PM

I am trying to pull my boots out of the muck and reach for something better . Might be within my grasp . I was told to reach as high as possible .

#15 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted December 26, 2014 - 06:17 PM

Got an Asus padphone X mini today...on it now.

Any test pics yet? Grab the Mrs......