• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 09:33 PM

I found a source for the mazda ring set that is supposed to be a direct replacement for the std ring set in the Lombardini diesel. Can the rings be done in frame? By the parts diagram, the jugs will lift clear of the block after the cylinder heads are removed. But do they in reality? Trying to avoid pulling the motor to do a quick hone and rering if I can. She needs nothing else, just got ran hot and the rings lost thier temper, just like so many of these engines have done

#2 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 09:44 PM

Need to take the head and Oil pan off. Can you get the pan off while it's in the tractor?

You need the oil pan removed to get to the Connecting Rods.There's no way around that.

#3 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 09:54 PM

I will have to look, cant say I have been under it far enough to see. she is in her winter cloths right now, blade, cab ect.  Wasnt sure I could find the cheaper ring set, but I did.  Almost $300 for rings is outragious from Lombardini.  I have done snowmobile engines without pulling the rods, just slide the jug off, clamp in vise, hone it.  put new rings on piston head, put ring compressor around rings.  Tap jug down to just past lower ring, then remove the compresser and slide the jug the rest of the way down into the block.  Didnt know if this engine could be done that way with its individual jugs, could be also done that way.   Either way if I keep her, its gonna have to be rerung.   Mike

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,699 Thanks
  • 8,892 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 10:21 PM

Do you have a link to where you found the Mazda rings? A part number would also help others who are in the same boat and find this thread on a search.

#5 VintageIronCollector ONLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 10:42 PM

How much do the Mazda rings cost?

#6 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 11:30 PM

like $50 for a set to do 4 cylinders, so you got 2 sets for less than the price of one set thru Lombardini, but they are discontinued, so I dont want to give up the number as I need to order my set first.  Anybody wanna go in together and get a set with me?  Funds are real tight right now from 2 big car repair bills.  PM me if someone wants to split a set between us.  Mike

Edited by mtoney, December 24, 2014 - 11:32 PM.

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted December 25, 2014 - 08:33 AM

Hastings Manufacturing might also have rings to fit your engine.

#8 Enginerod ONLINE  

Enginerod

• Member No: 1748
  • 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted December 25, 2014 - 09:04 AM

I think the jugs come off of those like a 2 stroke so no need to pull the pan.

#9 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 05:55 PM

Yes it can be rerung without pulling the engine.  I just completed the job on my 920.  I have 2 extra sets, check the for sale area for those.  What I did was pull the jugs, mark the pistons for which direction they sat in the bores, then pulled the wrist pins to remove the piston heads.  I then could use my standard ring compresser to put the pistons back into the jugs from the bottom after honing and cleaning up the jugs.  I tapped them back down till the wrist pin holes were in the clean, then slid the jugs back down on the block, tapped the wrist pin back in place, reinstalled the snap ring for the wrist pin, then lowered the jug all the way down into the block.  I repeated the procedure for the front cylinder.  Then its just a matter of putting all the top end back together.  I got new push rod tube seals from Sandy Lake Implement.  I had my coworker on stand by with a plank of wood and a Co2 fire ext incase she ran away on initial start up.  But all was well and she settled into a nice smooth fast rpm(since you start these at full power) and idled perfectly.  I will rewarm her back up and change the oil monday as I ran out of time today.  These Sealed Power rings are NLA from Sealed Power.  Mikie

• coldone said thank you