3 replies to this topic

#1 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 05:27 PM

I have a Jacobsen 800 Chief with a stuck rear transaxle/gearcase. According to the PO, one of the gears is bad and jams the gearcase. Shifter doesn't seem to do anything. I haven't torn it apart yet to see what's up...

We don't see many Chiefs down this way and I'm not optimistic about finding a donor rear reasonably.

Someone had told me that the Deere 110 used the same gearcase internals (although in a different orientation - not sure if this is true though... Anybody know of other (more common)sources of parts for the Chief gearbox? If the internals of the deere are the same, that would be great - they are easy to get! I don't mind splitting the case and grafting the new stuff in, if my housing is ok.

Just trying to get some feel for whats ahead of me BEFORE I tear it all apart.....
  • NUTNDUN, tinbender7 and fkiooaja have said thanks

#2 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • Member No: 40
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 07:49 PM

I can't give you specific details but if your tractor is a 1966 model or newer, the gear transmission is a Peerless, and they were used in many garden tractors in the 60s and 70s including Deere, Massey and quite a few others. They all mount their own way with different linkages, but I think the internals would be basically the same.

• NUTNDUN, Tennblue59 and VintageIronCollector have said thanks

#3 acguy96 OFFLINE  

acguy96

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5431
  • 26 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 09:43 PM

When my brother got his 800, it was stuck in gear and the shifter didn't work right. It ended up being the shift mechanism was misaligned. I wish we would have known that before we pushed it on the trailer to take it home (we had to pick up a rear wheel so it would roll).

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 09:51 PM

If it is the same Peerless there are lots of parts available since they were used in so many brands like RAJ mentioned. Here is a link to the thread I had going when I worked on the Transmission parts for the Peerless from my Massey MF12G. I ended up not being able to use anything from the donor transmission and once you see the pics in that thread you will see why. I was able to put new detent springs and balls in mine so it would shift better and have more positive position holding, mainly in second gear. They really are not that bad to tear apart and some of the suggestions in that thread made it easier.

• KennyP said thank you