Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Just Curious to see what you think

repower customs fabrications

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: Custom Re-Powers (53 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think Re-Powers are acceptable on older machines?

1. Yes, as long as it's done tastefully and to original spec's. (32 votes [60.38%])

Percentage of vote: 60.38%

2. No, spend the time and money in rebuilding the original or finding an exact replacement. (6 votes [11.32%])

Percentage of vote: 11.32%

3. Don't really care either way, as it's not my tractor and I don't have to look at it. (7 votes [13.21%])

Percentage of vote: 13.21%

4. Yes, only if the original or an exact replacement can never be found. (8 votes [15.09%])

Percentage of vote: 15.09%

If going with a Re-Power, would you want:

1. A motor as close to exact original spec's (5 votes [9.43%])

Percentage of vote: 9.43%

2. A motor as close to original spec's as possible (41 votes [77.36%])

Percentage of vote: 77.36%

3. As big of a motor you can find or install, even if it means re-fabricating sheet metal (7 votes [13.21%])

Percentage of vote: 13.21%

When choosing the motor, what would you want?

1. Same amount of horse power as the original (17 votes [32.08%])

Percentage of vote: 32.08%

2. Maybe 2 to 4 more horse power than the original had (22 votes [41.51%])

Percentage of vote: 41.51%

3. As much horse power as I can fit under the hood, the bigger the better (14 votes [26.42%])

Percentage of vote: 26.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,669 Thanks
  • 17,196 posts

Posted December 25, 2014 - 07:18 PM

Is swapping the tins any worse than replacing the key switch or headlights and calling it original?

I would say those are two different things..... Service parts that were stocked and meant to be replaced are one thing, original body parts such as hoods, engine tins  with serial numbers are another.

Of course I'm talking about using original switches and lights, LED's are totally out of the question and would be considered not original.

• MH81 and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#32 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted December 28, 2014 - 12:07 PM

I kinda agree with DH1...   My GTs are workers... in excellent shape  for the year..  But if I would have to repower,, a more efficient motor would work for me,provided I don't have to butcher it to fit.. a simple engine swap would be fine... 

• DH1, MH81, johndeereelfman and 1 other said thanks

#33 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 11:57 PM

Boy did I have a a hard time with this one. I feel if your building a purpose built machine "like a pulling gt" have at it, as long as its not a rare one like an Oliver or something like that. I think its a shame to modify sheet metal or cut to make something fit. I have a Sears SS12 that someone hacked up pretty good putting a 16HP Tech in it. I also have a Wheel horse that someone made a pulling gt out of that  is kind of neat.  I really think as myself as a caretaker of the gt's I have and hope someone will enjoy them as much as I have when I'm done. I try to keep everything original but I want it to function as well. Clear as Mud

#34 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,601 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 07:52 AM

Here is where I stand on this discussion and it is a bit different than most

- If it is a worker then I make changes that make it more usable but make sure those are reversible on uncommon tractors (my JD 120 is filled with many of those mods)  A re-power fits under this umbrella and would be considered if the machine could be returned to original with minimal work and modification to do the swap  My 312 is getting similar treatment as I plan on using it for snow removal.

- Show tractor = restoration to match original factory specs (but sneaking in a K301 in place of a k241 is good in my book)  My '68 110 side tag (early production) will get the factory approach.  Same with the '67 110 my grandfather purchased new

- As for the Close side tractors, who cares what is under the hood - Re-power and put it to work!

#35 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 05:09 AM

I am in a similar position with my Bolens Lawn Keeper as it got a modern electric start engine on it which to my mind look wrong. I am looking for an age related B&S engine to replace it. The early LKs had B&S engines, whilst the later ones has Techumesh ones. There was also a Lauson one too which will be very hard to source in the UK. As long as it look right, that's fine with me. Fortunately my other two BOlens got the original Wisconsin engine.

#36 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 08:16 AM

Amazing the diversity of our perspectives on this.
And yet we all meet here everyday to share stories of our little prizes and what we do with them.
:thumbs:
  • olcowhand, DH1, KennyP and 6 others have said thanks

#37 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,355 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 10:05 AM

There is no right or wrong way, you own it, you build it.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#38 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 02:32 PM

Would I repower my own that I am restoring? No. If I don't have a good engine for a tractor I won't attempt a restore till I do.

Would I repower a tractor I don't care about how original it is? Sure. Some of the older tractors for daily use could use a shot of more power.

I have seen some repower that look extremely good.

This is a hot topic in the minibike world. A lot of guys are down right mean to members who put honda clone engines on vintage bikes.

There was a fellow who put a clone engine on a vintage bike but used tin work off a vintage motor. It looked nice. New twist on repowers.
  • Bolens 1000, MH81 and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#39 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 04:47 PM

Amazing the diversity of our perspectives on this.
And yet we all meet here everyday to share stories of our little prizes and what we do with them.
:thumbs:

This is why I love this forum. Very rarely does anyone actually argue. We can disagree. Agree. And love tractors and our hobby without arguing or name calling (other than good natured fun)
  • DH1, MH81, truck21 and 2 others have said thanks

#40 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,355 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 07:09 PM

I have a very nice red '67 Impala SS, looks original except for a mild lower and 8" wide chrome rally wheels. Under the hood is a corvette LT1/4l60e combo, been like that since 2001, works better in every way than the 327/powerglide combo collecting dust in my building. I wouldn't have done tht to a COPO car, or original Z/28, but it's mine and it suits me. I view my GT's exactly the same.
  • johndeereelfman and Trav1s have said thanks

#41 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 08:51 PM

As I think about this topic, I realize I have chosen to collect tractors with potentially expensive engine options.  My Gravely's use a proprietary engine, making any re-power difficult, though I realize there are some people who have either put together kits or have made information available regarding parts required to re-power a gravely.  Even those resources will disappear eventually.  My Massey's use the Tecumseh which is also difficult to rebuild at this point, however there is some slim hope the shear numbers of these engines will bring back some oversize rebuild kits.  However, with the belt drive option and relatively open mounting position, any engine that will fit in the space can feasibly be used as a re-power.  My own feeling is that any re-power should not incur sheet metal damage.  For myself, I would rather have a running tractor with a non-intrusively mounted engine than a tractor that ends up sitting unused because you don't have the correct engine.

• johndeereelfman, MFDAC and T Guiles have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: repower, customs, fabrications