Vote for Featured Tractor of the Month!
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Just Curious to see what you think

repower customs fabrications

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: Custom Re-Powers (53 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think Re-Powers are acceptable on older machines?

1. Yes, as long as it's done tastefully and to original spec's. (32 votes [60.38%])

Percentage of vote: 60.38%

2. No, spend the time and money in rebuilding the original or finding an exact replacement. (6 votes [11.32%])

Percentage of vote: 11.32%

3. Don't really care either way, as it's not my tractor and I don't have to look at it. (7 votes [13.21%])

Percentage of vote: 13.21%

4. Yes, only if the original or an exact replacement can never be found. (8 votes [15.09%])

Percentage of vote: 15.09%

If going with a Re-Power, would you want:

1. A motor as close to exact original spec's (5 votes [9.43%])

Percentage of vote: 9.43%

2. A motor as close to original spec's as possible (41 votes [77.36%])

Percentage of vote: 77.36%

3. As big of a motor you can find or install, even if it means re-fabricating sheet metal (7 votes [13.21%])

Percentage of vote: 13.21%

When choosing the motor, what would you want?

1. Same amount of horse power as the original (17 votes [32.08%])

Percentage of vote: 32.08%

2. Maybe 2 to 4 more horse power than the original had (22 votes [41.51%])

Percentage of vote: 41.51%

3. As much horse power as I can fit under the hood, the bigger the better (14 votes [26.42%])

Percentage of vote: 26.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,761 Thanks
  • 1,183 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 08:53 AM

I didnt feel the options fit what I think on the subject.

My answers:

#1 yes, with anything I have that will fit.

#2 see #1

#3 see #1

As a few have mentioned before, anything to keep the "workers" working and to keep the rest from being parted out on Ebay or scrapped.

I am sure the diesel fans and pullers have a different answers for this too.

Not everyone is a collector/restorer and there are even different levels of that. Most of the "original" tractors arent truly original by the strictest deffinition

• MH81, Alc, GTTinkerer and 7 others have said thanks

#17 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 13,921 Thanks
  • 17,713 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 08:57 AM

For me it has to be the original engine or if one has to be replaced it has to be the exact same model and close to the exact year of the original.

When an engine gets swapped out it no longer feels like the same tractor and looses its appeal in my opinion.

• MH81, johndeereelfman, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#18 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 37,712 Thanks
  • 30,338 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 09:05 AM

If I get a tractor in original form, with all the other right parts, I stay original when I can find a correct engine.  When I get a tractor that has already been cut up & hacked on, then I just wing it & fit whatever I can find.  BUT, I also sometimes take a GT that is missing an engine, and place an engine totally off from OE into it, while also doing it in a way to where it is simple to return to the stock OE engine, etc.  Sometimes I go completely off the charts on some conversions.  That's what I enjoy.....having options.

• MH81, grnspot110, GTTinkerer and 5 others have said thanks

#19 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,706 Thanks
  • 2,596 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 10:29 AM

As for my thoughts or opinion:

As most of you know, I'm a collector and restorer, so I would want to rebuild the original motor, or like Doc said above, try to find an exact replacement of the same year, manufacturer, horse power, and spec number, especially if the rest of the tractor is in great shape overall. I too try to keep these old tractors running with original parts and pieces, so that the History of the tractor can be correct and accurate. I would rather wait 10 years in trying to find the original part, rather than settling for a reproduction part just to get by. That is what makes this hobby fun, and it gives great joy to find a part that you have been waiting so long for.

I had a situation once, where I thought I bought something kind of rare, only to find out later that it wasn't. I was at a public sale early in my collecting years, and on the auction block was a 1966 round fender, that had a HH100 Tecumseh motor and 112 hood decals. Since there were only 1,000 112's manufactured in 1966, I thought I found a gold mine. I ended up winning the tractor for a couple hundred dollars, and thinking that I practically stole the tractor since it's considered rare. Long story short, when I got home and was able to spend more time in looking over the tractor, I did some owners manual research and found out by the serial tag that the tractor was actually a 1966 110, and should have had a K-181S 8hp Kohler in it. Someone along the way repowered this tractor with the 10hp Tecumseh and installed new 112 decals. As you can imagine, it was a big disappointment, and then I realized I spent more money on the tractor than what I should have, as at that time, the 1966 110's were pretty plentiful.

In this case, who would be the blame for this mishap? I was partly at fault, as I was new to collecting at that time, and didn't know how to read the serial number tag to see if the tractor really was authentic. I didn't take the time to look the tractor over real well at the time of the auction, as I didn't want other bidders to know that I was interested in buying the tractor. And, I wasn't experienced enough to separate my emotions from my wallet, and let the thrill of owning a somewhat rare tractor get the best of me. The owner who repowered the tractor is also at fault, since it appears that the tractor was being pawned off as something that it wasn't. He could have easily made an announcement before the auctioneer started, that the tractor was repowered, and the motor and hood decals weren't original for the tractor type. 

I guess what I'm pointing out is, is this. If you have a nice original tractor that needs to be repowered, but you decide that you don't want to, or can't afford to repower the tractor with an exact replacement, then please keep some type of paperwork trail on the tractor explaining that the motor has been changed, altered, modified, replaced, or was increased in horse power, so that others will know what was done. If something should happen to you tomorrow, and your wife decides to sell off your collection, she isn't going to know what changes you made, and will be a little embarrassed when she tries to sell your tractors as complete originals, when they aren't. 

• Bolens 1000, MH81, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#20 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 10:39 AM

Long as my tractor runs and does what it should,I dont care what engine is on it.

• MH81, johndeereelfman, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#21 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 37,712 Thanks
  • 30,338 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 12:29 PM

As for my thoughts or opinion:

I guess what I'm pointing out is, is this. If you have a nice original tractor that needs to be repowered, but you decide that you don't want to, or can't afford to repower the tractor with an exact replacement, then please keep some type of paperwork trail on the tractor explaining that the motor has been changed, altered, modified, replaced, or was increased in horse power, so that others will know what was done. If something should happen to you tomorrow, and your wife decides to sell off your collection, she isn't going to know what changes you made, and will be a little embarrassed when she tries to sell your tractors as complete originals, when they aren't. 

No problem on my keeping records.  I think all work I've done on all my GT's is documented right here on GTtalk!   :D

• MH81, grnspot110, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#22 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,662 Thanks
  • 7,409 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 12:37 PM

I have one small thing I will point out.
When repowering with a later model of the same model engine due to an internal failure for instance. One thing I have seen / heard done is the shroud with the serial tag / number is switched from the original engine to the replacement engine to "keep it original".
You will never see me doing this as in my eyes it is dishonest.
  • Bolens 1000, MH81, grnspot110 and 6 others have said thanks

#23 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,761 Thanks
  • 1,183 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 01:49 PM

When repowering with a later model of the same model engine due to an internal failure for instance. One thing I have seen / heard done is the shroud with the serial tag / number is switched from the original engine to the replacement engine to "keep it original".

Is swapping the tins any worse than replacing the key switch or headlights and calling it original?

• MH81 and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 33,197 Thanks
  • 42,670 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 01:53 PM

I will have to change the tins on the Ford due to the flywheel shroud with the #'s on the 'new' engine is off a k241 instead of a K341. Guess I'm going to need a 'Replacement Engine' decal to go on there!

• MH81, grnspot110, wvbuzzmaster and 1 other said thanks

#25 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,662 Thanks
  • 7,409 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 01:58 PM

Kenny,

If I am understanding correctly, your situation is based on design concerns driving the decision rather than pulling the wool over someone's eyes, proceed. Case dismissed... You are free and clear, so have any real crimes to admit to now? :poke:
  • MH81 and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#26 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,932 Thanks
  • 5,434 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 02:03 PM

I repowered 2 Massey 12Hydras with Chinese Honda clones.

1 - After it was repowered I put the original engine back in it, I didn't like the look of the newer engine in an older tractor.

2 - This one is still in use with the new engine, replaced the 12hp flat head HH120 Tecumseh with a 13hp OHV clone that is smaller by displacement and has more power. This tractor is a grass cutter, maybe pull small trailer every now and then. It's always run full rpm. The new engine is quieter, burns less fuel and seems to like to rev. Always needs choke to start, even when hot, doesn't have strong enough charging circuit to run the lights.

Both engines cut the grass and drive the tractor the same.

IMO if you restoring or want to keep the same look than you need the original type engine.

If you just want to get it working, repair/replace a worn out/broken engine or $$$ is a factor then use what you have or can get.

• MH81, GTTinkerer, johndeereelfman and 2 others have said thanks

#27 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,474 Thanks
  • 1,557 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 03:28 PM

I can look at this in different ways.  

When I restore a tractor I want it to be as original as possible. No stone left unturned to make it factory correct in every aspect.

If I am customizing a tractor then I do whatever mods I want to incorporate into it to serve what my purpose is for the tractor.  I have no issue cutting one to make something new and different as long as there are many of them and I start with one that is not pristine.  And there are MANY IH built Cub Cadets out there.  I just think it should be done so it looks like a factory made machine when done.  Other than that I say go for it.  On my 100 I wanted a custom paint scheme and I wanted to do some other slight mods to it. It started life as a 70 and was a roller missing the engine when I got it.  I put in a K241 that came out of a Wheel Horse which I changed out the tins to the Cub Cadet type which meant changing the flywheel.  If I ever sell it I will make sure that the buyer knows what they are getting.

If it's a nice original unit then I like to keep it that way as long as possible.  My 107 is a good example of this.  I have used it for 10 years as my main tractor and have kept it in it's original work clothes all along as it was in great original shape.  This winter though it is finally getting painted mostly because I have no choice but to paint the tranny as the leaking hydrostat has peeled most of the paint on it and I refuse to paint just the tranny and have nice paint there and the rest not so nice anymore.

• grnspot110 and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#28 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,932 Thanks
  • 5,434 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 04:29 PM

Another consideration is the tractor itself.

If you have a CLOSED side tractor where the engine isn't visible and you repower it keeping the sides on the tractor will still have the original look. Replacing a Kohler single with a Vtwin is going to have a different sound for sure when running, aside from that you'd never know it's been repowered until you look under the hood.

• MH81, johndeereelfman and Trav1s have said thanks

#29 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 4,379 Thanks
  • 4,129 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 05:21 PM

Long as my tractor runs and does what it should,I dont care what engine is on it.

Me too, unless it's a trailer queen, which I love, but they're not or me, I drive my classic cars and work the hell out of my tractors!
  • MH81, GTTinkerer and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#30 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,296 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 11:02 PM

Troy , personally I switched to AGM 12 volt batteries instead of the original 6 volt flooded cell batteries in the Elec-Traks . That was the original intent 50 years - better batteries to get the job done.

I am a little different some say . But you got a specific answer to a specific question .

Merry Christmas .
  • MH81, johndeereelfman and toppop52 have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: repower, customs, fabrications