36 replies to this topic

#31 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 04:31 PM

That's a great line I hope you don't mind but i'd like to make that my signature

• LilysDad said thank you

#32 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 05:09 PM

You all know I have the leg lamp :D

as for craigslist its cash only for me though I have done paypal with people I know to be reputable.

DSC01239.JPG

Did you order a bowling alley but got a lamp?

#33 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 05:22 PM

That's a great line I hope you don't mind but i'd like to make that my signature

Oh, no!  If you do that his head will get big, and its bad enough to look at the size it is now.... :poke:

:D

Ben W.

• Oldford said thank you

#34 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 06:47 PM

The same thing happened to me but on eBay, the guy sent me about $2000 for a couple hundred dollar tractor engine. He said he messed up and sent me the money for the shipping and wanted me to cash it and send him back the money. I had our bank look at it and they said not to cash it.

I turned them into eBay and that was the last I heard from any of them.

I'm sorry to hear you got nailed, even a bad time of year.

I hope things look up

#35 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 07:02 PM

Here is one for you:

A year or so ago, I was selling my old Chevy truck. Had a call from a person ~45 miles away wanting to know if I would deliver for an extra $500. Sounds to good to be true, it was. Told him to get bent.

At the time, there was a rash of craigslist robberies in the general area. Seems that once the thieves would get you number, they would look up your address, contact you, and send you on a wild goose chase. While you were gone from your home for an hour or two, they would break in.

Ended up selling the truck to a nice gentleman, who when he picked it up, I made known that even though I live in the country all the neighbors keep an eye out for each other, that someone was always around, the dog in the house was vicious and that the wife was a better shot than I.  

• Alc said thank you

#36 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 08:29 PM

Sorry to hear you got scammed like that. 

I had same scam about 12 yrs ago, received $4200 for a 500 camper. Told me to cash it, send them 2500, keep the 500 and their shipper would pick up the balance when they picked up the camper. I took it to bank, they told me it was a scam, went straight to police station down the street. That was third one they had reported that week. I then spent the next week and a half playing games with the spammer telling them I was keeping the money unless they picked it up. I did a search for the name they used, it was the same name of a lady that they did scam, she had to sell both her new camper and the one she sold to pay the bank back the money. 

We just got a scam in the mail Monday, it was a collections letter for a medical bill from some labs i had done back in August. My wife called original lab company, our account was a Zero balance. Had we not double checked and just paid it, we would've been out $140. 

• Alc and Oldford have said thanks

#37 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted December 25, 2014 - 10:52 AM

I have bought and sold on both eBay and CL for quite some time.  Have had a few scamers contact me but figured them out before we got into it to far.  Had one guy on eBay said the item was not as described and wanted a refund.  Wanted his money back into PayPal before he sent the item.  eBay back me stating the item had to be returned before a refund would be issued.  Got it back and was busted up by him trying to clean it.  (Was an old HO scale steam engine)  Had photos of when it was shipped and what he sent back.  I kept his $$ for repairs and resold them again.  This time the scamer lost his $$.  Have never had a problem on CL.  Always dealt in cash and in person.  When I got the cash he could take his merchandise.  If your careful and don't make dumb mistakes they are both great tools to buy and sell.  I AM NOT INSINUATING THAT HANKG IS DUMB OR ANYTHING ALONG THOSE LINES.  We just need to be mindful as to what we are doing.