8 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 09:07 AM

Both of my 1050 series tractors have a whine in the transaxle.  I have adjusted the end play, but did I get it to tight or is this a normal sound when running?  Seems worse in reverse than forward. The 1053 was a running tractor when I purchased it and don't recall that noise then?  Appreciate any advise anyone wants to throw at me.  Thanks much.

• MyBolens1053 and fogler12538 have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 09:12 AM

As long as you have the proper level of gear oil and axle endplay adjusted there's nothing to worry about.

Most of these tractors wine, its the way the gears are cut and plus 40+ years of use naturally leads to some wear over time. (Some louder than others)

• Alc, MyBolens1053, fogler12538 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 09:36 AM

Seems to be a common complaint by all 1050/1053 owners. Mine does, too.

• fogler12538, Little Irish Men and chieffan have said thanks

#4 cpg OFFLINE  

cpg
  • Member No: 57994
  • 244 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 10:27 AM

I know my 1253 has transmission whine. It is common among a lot of older GT as well as my bigger tractors; I believe it is because they had straight cut gears.

• chieffan said thank you

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 11:53 AM

Thanks a lot for the great information.  I was careful to follow the directions very close, adjusted twice to be sure I was right.  The oil is new and is full to the check/fill plug on level ground so that part is OK.  Guess I will forget to listen to the whine.  Maybe if I left the hearing aid batteries out the engine noise would over come the whine?  Now all I need is some snow so I can try out the blade tractor (1354 rebuild?) or the 1053 with the thrower - or both.  Nothing like playing with ones tractors ! :wave:

• sacsr said thank you

#6 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 02:50 PM

I had an odd noise in the gearbox of my HB112 after I re-assembled it the first time.  Took it apart again & the noise went away.  Never did figure out what was causing the noise.  I figure something was out of alignment.  

http://gardentractor...is-this-normal/

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, December 23, 2014 - 02:51 PM.

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#7 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 04:19 PM

Both of my 1050 series tractors have a whine in the transaxle.   Is this a normal sound when running? 

Some whine is normal, but no whine should be heard unless tractor is moving fast.

Usually the whine is greatest in 3rd gear with full throttle.

Sometimes bearing noise is mistaken for gear whine.  ....Good bearings will not be noisy.

If the noise is present when the tractor is not moving, I would suspect a bad bearing.

Did you use 90wt gear oil?  .....If it is is a synthetic gear lube, you will want to drain it and replace it with non-synthetic (GL-1 rating) gear lube.  ....Most synthetics will attack the bronze gear and bronze bushings in your transaxle.

Edited by Bruce Dorsi, December 23, 2014 - 04:23 PM.

• Bolens 1000, TomLGT195, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#8 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 11:59 PM

Some whine is normal, but no whine should be heard unless tractor is moving fast.

Usually the whine is greatest in 3rd gear with full throttle.

Sometimes bearing noise is mistaken for gear whine.  ....Good bearings will not be noisy.

If the noise is present when the tractor is not moving, I would suspect a bad bearing.

Did you use 90wt gear oil?  .....If it is is a synthetic gear lube, you will want to drain it and replace it with non-synthetic (GL-1 rating) gear lube.  ....Most synthetics will attack the bronze gear and bronze bushings in your transaxle.

The whine is only there when moving above a fast idle.  I used 80-90 Gear Oil, a farm and home store brand.  Not marked as synthetic but will check it again in the morning.  Only synthetic I ever bought was at an auction.  Got 4 cases of Ford synthetic for $22.  All loose quarts.

#9 oliver2655 OFFLINE  

oliver2655
  • Member No: 26808
  • 37 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted January 06, 2015 - 01:57 AM

we have 4 bolens tube frame tractors. 3 of the 4 whine like that all the time. the 1 that doesnt whine i believe the transmission has been gone through and rebuilt.  very common in these tractors! you will really love the way they push snow. like everyone else has said if the oil in the tranny is fine and the noise isnt super loud then its nothing to worry about.