10 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,493 posts

Posted December 22, 2014 - 11:52 PM

I know very little about the 2 wheel tractors, other than the BCS I have.  I have a shot at the one pictured.  Owner said it has a B&S engine that turn over and it needs tires.  No further comment.  Thinking hard on getting it rather than try and find a plow for my 1053.  Any information you can share with me would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks much.

Attached Thumbnails

• Bolens Huski Culti.jpg

Edited by chieffan, December 22, 2014 - 11:53 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,208 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted December 22, 2014 - 11:57 PM

Its a Bolens gardener.

#3 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 06:57 AM

That's a mid run bolens gardener. Has the flat belt pulley. Nice looking tractor. I have 9 of them. There fun tractors to use. Not very difficult to handle. The steering clutches make it very nice to drive. There is no differential so one wheel cant spin out. I have a plow for the one I use the most and it plows very nicely. I think it would out plow some smaller riding garden tractors. Ill include a pictures of mine plowing. I also took it out in regular farm field soil and it plowed pretty good even there. Since the picture I added 23 8.50 12 bar tires to it and its a beast. It pulled a non running ford 2n into our barn. I have a blade for mine, And if we ever get some snow around here im gona try it out. I don't know around you but the range of price around here or at least what I have paid. $75 for parts tractors and I paid $275 for two of mine. The one is an early flat handlebar tractor. And the other is the one I use all the time in the picture im including. Oh and the second picture is my first gardener. I gave $125 for this one. And the last picture is the early flat handle bar tractor. Its a 46.

Attached Thumbnails

• post-24042-0-89566600-1409618738.jpg
  • post-24042-0-27697500-1402880862.jpg
  • post-24042-0-33367100-1409618768.jpg

• DougT, MH81, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,493 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 08:14 AM

Thank you much for the information Bob IN.  I appreciate it very much.  You have be more interested now.  I can buy the one I am looking at for $110 and only a 2 hour drive to get it. Owner thought it was a 1947 or close.  How available are parts for these machines, like the flat belts, etc.  Is that a laced belt or continuous?  I like those old flat head B&S as they don't stop pulling.  Have a old 10HP on my wood splitter and it will out work any modern 15hp motor around.  I am thinking one of these would do a lot less ground packing that a 1053 would.  Another reason I like my BCS.  I have the tiller, snow thrower, blade and 42" bar mower for it.

#5 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 03:25 PM

Thank you much for the information Bob IN.  I appreciate it very much.  You have be more interested now.  I can buy the one I am looking at for $110 and only a 2 hour drive to get it. Owner thought it was a 1947 or close.  How available are parts for these machines, like the flat belts, etc.  Is that a laced belt or continuous?  I like those old flat head B&S as they don't stop pulling.  Have a old 10HP on my wood splitter and it will out work any modern 15hp motor around.  I am thinking one of these would do a lot less ground packing that a 1053 would.  Another reason I like my BCS.  I have the tiller, snow thrower, blade and 42" bar mower for it.

Im sorry. Its not flat belt drive. It has a flat belt pulley for running belt driven attachments like a feed grinder. Parts are fairly easy to come by. The one in the picture looks complete. Has the top chain guard.

• Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,493 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 09:30 AM

Im sorry. Its not flat belt drive. It has a flat belt pulley for running belt driven attachments like a feed grinder. Parts are fairly easy to come by. The one in the picture looks complete. Has the top chain guard.

Bob, that was my misunderstanding on the flat belt part.  I didn't realize that these machines could be used for stand alone attachments like a feed grinder, etc.  Hum-m-m  Wonder how one would work on a small buzz saw ? ?   I cut a lot of firewood for the fireplace and would be handy to have a small buzz saw to cut up the 2" & less stuff for the kindling.  Thanks again for your input.   Will be back in touch with the guy after the first of the year.  Will probably bring it home if he still has it.

#7 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 02:39 PM

Bob, that was my misunderstanding on the flat belt part.  I didn't realize that these machines could be used for stand alone attachments like a feed grinder, etc.  Hum-m-m  Wonder how one would work on a small buzz saw ? ?   I cut a lot of firewood for the fireplace and would be handy to have a small buzz saw to cut up the 2" & less stuff for the kindling.  Thanks again for your input.   Will be back in touch with the guy after the first of the year.  Will probably bring it home if he still has it.

I believe it would do fine on a small buzz saw if your only gona cut up 2 or 3 inch pieces. That old briggs has a lot of lug.

• chieffan said thank you

#8 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,280 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 11:26 PM

Didn't Bolens make a log saw for these? A lot of the manufacturers did.

• Lauber1 and chieffan have said thanks

#9 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 11:52 PM

I don't remember any for the older series tractors, but they made them for sure on the Versa models. I guess I would have thought that you would have just used the flat pulley to run a free standing saw, as there were many different models of them out at that time. Probably replaced the hit/miss engine, with the tractor power.

• chieffan said thank you

#10 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted December 25, 2014 - 09:55 AM

Bolens didnt make them for the early models but the brochure I have shows one belted up to one by a different manufacture.

• Lauber1 and chieffan have said thanks

#11 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,493 posts

Posted December 25, 2014 - 10:08 AM

I wouldn't think it would be hard to build one.  Wood frame work with a pillow block set up and a 12" rip saw blade with extra set in it.  Better get the gardener bought, home and running before I start building though.  Getting the cart chasing the horse here. :thumbs: