• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 kscheuring OFFLINE  

kscheuring

• Member No: 4159
  • 4 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted December 22, 2014 - 07:49 PM

Hi all. I am new to the forums so I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered.  I have a 1974 110 with the K241AS 10HP engine in it.  I have replaced the points, condensor, coil, air filter, carburetor, fuel pump, and spark plug once.  I can start the engine with the choke on when it is cold, let the engine warm up for a few seconds and turn the choke off.  At that point the engine runs fine at full throttle for about 20 seconds and then the engine speed will slow down and act like it is having a hard time running before it finally quits.  My JD dealer set the points for me before the engine got into this state so I know they are set properly.  I'm running out of ideas, parts, and money so I decided to reach out and see if anyone else has had this problem.  I'm stumped.  Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated. :wallbanging:

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,695 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted December 22, 2014 - 07:54 PM

Welcome!

Sounds like a carburetor/fuel issue to me ... 20 seconds running full throttle is about right for a bowl to drain out.

Have you pulled the fuel line to see if your getting a good flow ? Also have you pulled the carb apart to clean it?

One quick test you can do is open the air filter , start the engine up once the engine starts to die give the carb a quick shot of carb cleaner and if the engine starts running fine again for a few seconds you know you have a fuel issue.

• kscheuring said thank you

#3 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted December 22, 2014 - 08:01 PM

I also think it sounds like a fuel issue.Make sure your getting good flow before fuel pump.Alot of the shut off valves have a strainer in them that might be clogged.

#4 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 664 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted December 22, 2014 - 08:12 PM

I have to agreed with the DOC on this one . That's how i figured out my fuel supply problem ,keep in running on carb cleaner and hey i be no mechanic . good luck  Now just wait there will be members that know more then me ... and them be smart ones .

#5 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

AfterShock95
  • Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted December 22, 2014 - 10:30 PM

I agree fuel problem

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,795 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 08:16 AM

Welcome to GTT. I also agree that it is probably a fuel issue. One other possible problem that causes a lack of fuel is if the gas tank cap isn't venting but that usually takes 10 to 20 minutes to happen. Check out our Manuals Section for the B&S Repairmans' Manual and refer to the troubleshooting section if the above suggestions don't solve it. Good Luck, Rick

#7 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,176 Thanks
  • 2,147 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 10:45 AM

Have you tried keeping it running by closing the choke part way? 

Has the tractor been sitting a long time between uses?

Does the tractor re-start immediately after it stalls out?

#8 kscheuring OFFLINE  

kscheuring

• 4 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 03:17 PM

I have not tried turning the choke back on when it starts to die.  Good suggestion about trying the carb cleaner to see if it will keep going.  My dealer said they flushed the tank and strainer when I had it in there but I haven't checked it since.  It hasn't been sitting a long time between uses AND the tractor will NOT start again once it stalls out.  It has to sit for awhile before it will start again.  I am out of town right now for Christmas, but I will definately try these suggestions as soon as I get home and let everyone know.   Thanks for the ideas everyone!

#9 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 04:18 PM

Does the 110 have 2 fuel pumps like some of the 116?
They had a booster pump at the bottom of the steering tower. Gaint PITA to get to and you cant buy kits

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 08:10 PM

Last engine I had with that was a partially gummed up seat.
Added some acetone to a little bit of gas (make sure you are outside and have good ventilation)
Started it and restarted it several times to make sure some of the mix is in the bowl and then got it up to speed and choked it with my hand sealed on the carb several times.

Fixed it.
  • lyall, johndeereelfman and kscheuring have said thanks

#11 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 03:33 PM

Does the 110 have 2 fuel pumps like some of the 116?
They had a booster pump at the bottom of the steering tower. Gaint PITA to get to and you cant buy kits

No it does not - gravity feed AFAIK

#12 kscheuring OFFLINE  

kscheuring

• 4 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 05:00 PM

Well, I finally got a chance today to go play with my tractor.  Everyone is right, it's a fuel problem.  Couple of problems going on that wanted to make me crazy, but I finally tracked them down.  1: When I replaced the fuel pump, the inlet and outlet were reversed from what they were on my original pump. I went back to the original and it's at least continuing to run, but it sounds like it is starving for fuel.  2: I pulled the tank and fuel flows fine from the shutoff valve, but the valve won't shutoff the gas.  Little problem there.  Last thing I did today, I had the tank loose so I could look at the fuel filter and had the fuel line just running around the side of the engine to the pump.  Have to say, I didn't expect to see the filter empty of fuel and not fill up again, but that's exactly what it did!  Looks like to me I need to replace the shutoff valve and HOPEFULLY that will get some flow going.  I'm going to replace the filter too just in case.  Thanks for all of the suggestions, they definately pointed me in the right direction.  I'll post again once I have replaced those parts and let everyone know what happened.  Happy New Year everyone!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#13 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 07:09 PM

Great to hear you are making progress!  

And to be obnoxious

:picsoritsnotyours:

:wewantpics:

#14 kscheuring OFFLINE  

kscheuring

• 4 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 07:45 PM

Trav1s, here are a few pics of my sick Deere.  Once I can get it running and out of the shed, I'll post some more.  Here is an update on my problem.  The engine is running now, but is not running smooth.  I've tried adjusting the carb but it is not helping.  I tried to upload a small video, but the system won't let me.  I sounds like it's not getting enough fuel, then getting enough, and I'm stuck in that loop.  I'm still stumped, but at least the engine is running now.

20150108_145006.jpg

20150108_145040.jpg

20150108_145056.jpg

20150108_145131.jpg

• MH81 said thank you

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 10:57 PM

Trav1s, here are a few pics of my sick Deere.  Once I can get it running and out of the shed, I'll post some more.  Here is an update on my problem.  The engine is running now, but is not running smooth.  I've tried adjusting the carb but it is not helping.  I tried to upload a small video, but the system won't let me.  I sounds like it's not getting enough fuel, then getting enough, and I'm stuck in that loop.  I'm still stumped, but at least the engine is running now.

attachicon.gif20150108_145006.jpg
attachicon.gif20150108_145040.jpg
attachicon.gif20150108_145056.jpg
attachicon.gif20150108_145131.jpg

Best way to post a video is to upload it to youtube and then provide a link in a post.
What do you have the carb set to (# of turns out?)