#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted December 22, 2014 - 07:09 PM

I'm looking for someone who knows their RJ's, and hoping they might be able to tell me what model and year RJ I have. I thought it was an RJ-58, but after viewing the one listed for sale by retrj6, now I'm not so sure. I'm a John Deere collector, so this Wheel Horse is out of my realm of experience.

To give a little history, I bought the tractor a couple of years ago for $25.00. The seller called me telling me he had an old John Deere garden tractor with clam shell fenders, and would like to sell it. So, I made the trip over to his place, only to find out that it is a Wheel Horse painted with John Deere green and yellow paint. I explained to the seller that it's not a John Deere, as it has Wheel Horse across the front of the grille, and that I'm really not interested in it. He asked if I would take it off of his hands, as he doesn't want it sitting around any longer. It was stored high up on a metal shelf in his warehouse, and hasn't been run for years. When he told me $25.00, I figured I'll buy it for my son, Ryan James, as he'll appreciate having a tractor with his initials. 

After getting it home, the first thing I did was contact a guy I met at a local tractor show who collected these old tractors, and explained to him what I had. I remember him asking me all kinds of questions about the front axle, the transmission, the hood/grille assembly, and the lifting parts. I basically gave him yes and no answers to each of his questions, and he told me it was a standard RJ-58, and if I wanted to sell it, he'd give me $200.00 for it, site unseen. I told him I wanted to keep it for now, and the guy's attitude seemed to get a little irritated, and appeared as though he didn't want to talk to me anymore. I thought it was a little odd for a guy to want to buy a tractor for $200.00 without seeing it first, but oh well. Especially for a standard tractor like he claimed it to be.

Anyway, back to the tractor. After viewing the RJ-58 tractor that is listed for sale, I took notice that my RJ doesn't have the arched, ratchet type lifting assembly. Mine is either all the way down or all the way up. There isn't any in-between settings. Everything else though, appears to be the same. I have the same muffler shield, the same transmission belt guard, the same solid piece hood/grille design, the straight front axle, the fenders and toolbox, the mower deck, and the same K-90 4hp Kohler motor. I was told the serial number decal would be mounted to the frame, just behind the hood flange on the left side of the tractor, and after checking, I found nothing. Again, the tractor was painted green and yellow. The tractor has since been completely taken apart, shortly after I brought it home that day, but I'm looking to restore it next Spring, so I want to be sure what I have before I get started. 

Can anybody out there help me in determining the model and year of this tractor? If you need more information, just ask away. I think I remember enough about the tractor to answer you, and if not, I'll go out in the garage to find out. 

Thanks

#2 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,806 Thanks
  • 2,218 posts

Posted December 22, 2014 - 08:40 PM

I was told mine was a 58 by the prior owner, I never checked it for sure.  In all the research I did I don't think the lift mech is correct for this tractor, it was added on later.  by the sounds of it you have a 58 but pics would be the only to really tell. 

Pete

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#3 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,867 Thanks
  • 2,789 posts

Posted December 22, 2014 - 08:51 PM

IMG_0783.JPG Troy that sounds like a 58rj because of the lift and 200.00 is way cheap if it has all its belt guards if the hood is in good shape not all dented up its worth 200.00 if the belt guard is there it can go for 150.00 maybe more very hard to find its no wonder the guy got angry when you decided to keep it. this is one I sold for 900.00 just to give you guys an idea as what to ask for yours.
  • Bruce Dorsi and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#4 JakeKuhn ONLINE  

JakeKuhn

Wheel Horse Addict

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 9298
  • 183 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted December 22, 2014 - 09:55 PM

Troy,

Sounds like a 58 or 59 going off your description. I'm always willing to help if you have questions on it, I currently have 3 58's, and my dad has 4. I am currently working on restoring a 59, just have the frame, hood, belt guard, and wheels left to paint, everything else is done. Any pictures of yours?

#5 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted December 22, 2014 - 10:40 PM

Hank,

The picture you have posted, is what mine looks like, right down to the exhaust. Off course, it's not painted up like that yet.

Jake,

No pictures. I took the tractor apart without snapping some, and believe me, I'm kicking myself every time I walk past the boxes of parts. I guess I just figured the tractor is simple enough to put back together, that I didn't need pictures.

As the time draws closer, I'm sure I calling on all of you for help! Someone once told me that I could possibly determine the year of this tractor by a code found on the transmission. Is this correct? If so, would you guys be able to tell me the year if I got the numbers or code for you? I'd also like to know where I might be able to find decals for this tractor. Once I can get the year nailed down, is there somewhere or someone out there that might possibly make a serial number decal for this tractor? If this turns out to be a 1958, what are beginning and ending serial numbers for this year, and do I just pick a number between these numbers, and hope that no one else has the same number?

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it! :thumbs:

Edited by johndeereelfman, December 22, 2014 - 10:40 PM.

#6 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,867 Thanks
  • 2,789 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 08:23 AM

Troy,  it can only be a 58 or 59 probably a 58 there were more made than in 59 if the trans has number's on top and if the last number is a nine it may be a 59 there's no difference between them at all.

#7 JakeKuhn ONLINE  

JakeKuhn

Wheel Horse Addict

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 9298
  • 183 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 08:52 AM

Troy, if your sitting on the tractor, to the right of where the shifter comes out there should be a date code. The last number on the code tells you the year, however if you have an earlier 58 there will be no code at all. Also, you can get decals from redoyourhorse.com

#8 Reagan 828 OFFLINE  

Reagan 828
  • Member No: 66116
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 09:54 PM

I would like to know year on my wheel horse and model if someone could help me please

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• VintageIronCollector said thank you

#9 VintageIronCollector ONLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,265 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 10:07 PM

I would like to know year on my wheel horse and model if someone could help me please

I believe thats a 1957 RJ35

#10 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 04:29 PM

Restoration of the Wheel Horse RJ-58 will begin today. Once I find all of the parts and pieces in the garage, I'll lay them all out and take a couple of pictures so you can see what I have. Not sure if I'll start stripping paint today, but it will be started within the next couple of days. Hopefully I won't disappoint you guys and will do it right! Never painted "Red Tractors" before so this will be a never adventure! Stay tuned and keep your fingers crossed. :thumbs:   

Edited by johndeereelfman, July 25, 2015 - 04:29 PM.

• JakeKuhn said thank you

#11 MikesRJ OFFLINE  

MikesRJ

One of the 1st 500!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 462
  • 70 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted August 18, 2015 - 08:23 PM

This website may come in handy:
http://www.mywheelho...o=show_doc&id=2