#16 Rickski OFFLINE  

Rickski

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1538
  • 11 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted March 01, 2011 - 09:11 PM

Gas for mowing is a drop in a swimming pool compared to what fuel we use operating our dairy. If it gets to 4 or $5 or even more, it's gonna lay a huge hurting on us for sure. Already is fir that matter! We can usually increase crop with tillage, but the fuel is prohibitive, so we use no-till all the way.

You hit the nail on the head, but not for only dairy products, but for everything. Cost to produce go up, and it has to be absorbed somewhere. It will hit us in the pocketbook, and in a time when many haven't seen a raise in years and the same number has probably seen a cut in their income. Almost as sure as taxes and death is that prices will increase, and our ability to pay the increase will decrease.

#17 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted March 01, 2011 - 09:14 PM

Gas for mowing is a drop in a swimming pool compared to what fuel we use operating our dairy. If it gets to 4 or $5 or even more, it's gonna lay a huge hurting on us for sure. Already is fir that matter! We can usually increase crop with tillage, but the fuel is prohibitive, so we use no-till all the way.

I'm sure you already have been hit by the higher prices Daniel. You are so right about the small amount spent mowing grass compared to your field work. All the reports I see on TV talk about higher food prices because of increasing fuel costs. When fuel prices rise it cost more for the seed and fertilizer also because of transportation costs. Add that extra cost to the amount to get the farm product to the consumer and it just snowballs.

#18 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 01, 2011 - 09:20 PM

We have to pay the hauling bill for our milk to the processors buying it. This last month, we had our usual hauling charge, PLUS an additional $700.00 just in fuel surcharge added on top! Electric bill also has a fuel surcharge added...on & on.
At least when we sell beef, we take it to the nearby stockyards & the buyers pay to get it to slaughter houses. Not with milk.

#19 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted March 01, 2011 - 09:29 PM

What can we do other then pay it and go on.

#20 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• Member No: 757
  • 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted March 01, 2011 - 09:36 PM

REVOLUTION

if the people would stop allowing the government to encroach on all the little things,they would have a harder time getting away with things like this -to many people say we will just get used to it and move on,but what has to happen and more people need to say is hold the hell on -

home land security has gone way over board since 9/11 --and the american people allowed it and we have been paying for it since

#21 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 01, 2011 - 09:42 PM

So many people have nothing at all left to hold on to! I'm holding my own, but for how long I don't know. Everything is so volatile, things can go wrong in a heartbeat, and all is gone. The working class has been tightening it' grip only to protect the richer class. When our grip is lost completely, the rich will come tumbling down too. We've all heard the "trickle down" theory which supposedly helps us, but soon we'll be hearing the "tumbling down" syndrome, and it won't just be us working stiffs.

#22 Rickski OFFLINE  

Rickski

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 11 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted March 01, 2011 - 09:59 PM

I think we all have a voice. It is what our veterans have fought for all these years. Vote at the next election, and continue to voice an opinion. My first job was working a gas station. Gas was 30 cents a gallon and when it went to 50 cents a gallon, we were all upset. Prices will rise. It's supply, demand, and economics. The best we can do is conserve and show the oil companies that we are doing something and that eventually they are going to be in trouble. Conserving could be as simple as trying to combine road trips or sealing the windows better in the house. If we all do our part, things add up. Insulation has a big return on investment. Buy some and stuff it in the attic. The savings add up. My son is into HVAC and installing some sort of electronic controller on the furnace. Says I will save at least 10% on oil, so it pays for itself in one year. After that, it's money that is used to offset the price increase that will come.

We have a choice and that is to stop using fuel or buying goods. That's not what I want to do, but I am putting another 6 inches of insulation in the attic and replacing some drafty windows. I'll make sure the blades are sharp on the mower and will not take rides just because it's a nice evening. With the money I save on fuel , I can buy an American or Canadian beer, sit on the front porch and enjoy the birds in the yard.

Edited by Rickski, March 01, 2011 - 10:06 PM.

#23 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 01, 2011 - 10:06 PM

I find it funny that all the news reports blamed the realestate melt for the recession when it was just six months prior that gas hit $4gal. People on the news were qouted saying that they had to skip the mortgage payment to pay for gas to goto work.

Well we are speculated to hit $4gal again so wats going to hit the fan this time?

if the people would stop allowing the government to encroach on all the little things

As for the price of oil, it is not the government playing with prices, its the wall street futures traders playing with it. They are the ones that are scared and they are the ones driving up prices on a barrel of oil. Now what i really dont understand is why the price of propane goes up with gas.

#24 Rickski OFFLINE  

Rickski

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 11 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted March 01, 2011 - 10:19 PM

I find it funny that all the news reports blamed the realestate melt for the recession when it was just six months prior that gas hit $4gal. People on the news were qouted saying that they had to skip the mortgage payment to pay for gas to goto work.

Well we are speculated to hit $4gal again so wats going to hit the fan this time?

As for the price of oil, it is not the government playing with prices, its the wall street futures traders playing with it. They are the ones that are scared and they are the ones driving up prices on a barrel of oil. Now what i really dont understand is why the price of propane goes up with gas.

I agree, and the traders get a bonus if they hit their goals.

The price of propane goes up because it can. They have us by the "you know what". It's not the local guys but the guys they buy from.

There is something called "sole source suppliers" and they are all watching out for themselves. In the business world, it is all about the bottom line increasing profit for the company they work for. Since they are sole source, they can do what they want. The business world sux. Those that remained employed through this mess will do anything to stay employed. To stay employed, they need to increase profits for their employer. It's a vicious circle that grows with greed. Years ago, a hand shake sealed a agreement. Today, you need a 50 page lawyer prepared document.

#25 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 01, 2011 - 10:25 PM

It's all about bargain prices... Remember when gas went over $2.00 and then came back down to $1.50? Remember when gas went over $3.00 and then came back down to $2.50? Remember when gas went over $4.00 and went back down to $3.50?

$5.00 gas? .... no problem... just wait a while and it will be back down to ? . ??

I'd like to think I'm making a joke here, but I'm having a hard time laughing.

So I don't disregard the intention of the post... I'm going to mow when I have to, this Spring, then hope we have a normal summer and wait for the grass to turn brown in July & August!!

#26 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted March 01, 2011 - 10:55 PM

The speculators ->Eqypt, Lybia. OPEC regulating production. Devaluation of the dollar (If you have some spare time look up the FEDERAL RESERVE)

No one will do anything about it. The political class wants you all to drive the bus, bike, drive SMART cars while they hop on their jets and eat caviar'

#27 akretowicz OFFLINE  

akretowicz

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2090
  • 148 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted March 02, 2011 - 08:20 AM

Gas prices.jpg Here they are in my town. Getting out of control, folks. Time to drop the hammer! Not sure on who, but someone.

#28 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted March 02, 2011 - 12:01 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10995[/ATTACH] Here they are in my town. Getting out of control, folks. Time to drop the hammer! Not sure on who, but someone.

Ain't That the Truth.
I have been thinking about asking for a 3 or 4 day week and doing some work at home.

#29 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted March 02, 2011 - 04:06 PM

Not to sound like a communist or anything, but this is what Karl Marks predicted would happen because even back during the 19th century capitalism was leading to monopolies and/or collusion between large corporations who can afford to buy legislation that benefits them. What happens in the end is that there are huge disparities between the wealthy and everybody else. Then things crash.

The last time we were in such a situation, we had the crash of 1929. That led to a growing popularity of facism and communism and ultimately gave us WWII and the Cold War. The answer is not to allow huge corporations and the ultra-rich to run everything. They pretend that their own brand of completely unfettered capitalism is the epitome of democracy, but the reality is that it's inherently anti-democratic. We all, if we work for it, deserve a piece of the pie.

I got an e-mail joke that pretty much sums up the current situation last night:

A corporate CEO, a union organizer, and a small business owner were sitting at a table. In the middle of the table was a plate with 12 cookies on it. The CEO grabbed 11 cookies and jammed them all in his mouth. Then he said to the small business owner, "Better look out or that union guy will steal part of your cookie."
  • Nascar3244888 and akretowicz have said thanks

#30 mjay OFFLINE  

mjay

• Member No: 1209
  • 6 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted March 06, 2011 - 03:47 AM

Life goes on. We are paying $8.55 for a US gallon over here if my maths is right. (£1.35 per litre).

We have a big problem with fuel theft.