10 replies to this topic

#1 a4hope2011 OFFLINE  

a4hope2011

• Member No: 2187
  • 1 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted March 01, 2011 - 08:43 AM

Hi guys,

My father-in-law has a JD 332 that he has trouble starting in the winter. He uses it to plow snow, and he said they have to put an electric heating pad on the block and cover it with blankets for over an hour to get it to start. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Alex

#2 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted March 01, 2011 - 08:49 AM

Get one of those clamp on meters from Harbor Freight. Turn the ignition on so the glow plugs warm up. See what they are pulling. I bet they arent working

#3 a4hope2011 OFFLINE  

a4hope2011

• Member No: 2187
  • 1 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted March 01, 2011 - 08:56 AM

I'll tell him that tonight...thanks for the tip.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted March 01, 2011 - 09:47 AM

Surely it has a place for a block heater. By far, a block heater is the simplest & best way for cold weather starting. Check with your JD dealer.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted March 01, 2011 - 09:56 AM

Go here to see the JD factory heater kit for your 332:
John Deere - Parts Catalog

You will need the adapter kit, JD part #AM101390
And the heater kit itself, JD part #AR87167

Put this on her & in one hour or so in the COLDEST of weather, she'll fire up like it's springtime. Much easier on your engine than using glow plugs even.

Edited by olcowhand, March 01, 2011 - 10:04 AM.

#6 abu157 OFFLINE  

abu157

• Member No: 2356
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted March 17, 2011 - 08:13 AM

Diesel fuel does not burn as cleanly as gasoline does. This is due in part to diesel being composed of larger, heavier hydrocarbon chain molecules. Larger molecules contain more energy than shorter molecules (because they contain more carbon bonds to break and release heat energy) but they also have a greater chance of not combusting completely. When they don't combust completely, they can form deposits in the combustion chamber. When deposits build up in the combustion chamber, it changes the volume of the chamber and subsequently increases the minimum cetane rating of the fuel needed by the engine to maintain perfect top-dead-center combustion and maximum fuel burn at the proper time. The same effect also happens in gasoline engines, where combustion chamber deposits increase the minimum octane rating by several points early in the engine's life.

Edited by NUTNDUN, March 17, 2011 - 09:02 AM.
unrelated link removed.

#7 JägerStein OFFLINE  

JägerStein
  • Member No: 24453
  • 7 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 12:32 AM

Since its winter this should be brought up again, The cheap and easy trick for getting a cold diesel to start is a shot of WD-40 in the intake. This has worked for me for years and its way better for the engine then using starting fluid. The reason it is better is this, Starting fluid strips the oil from the cylinder walls meaning your starting dry and doing damage to your engine. WD-40 on the other hand dose the same thing with out striping the oil from the cylinder walls, It is also a lot harder to blow an engine with WD-40 then it is using starting fluid just because WD-40 is more stable then starting fluid.

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 10:46 AM

i have yet to start my Ford at temperatures under 15 degrees(thankfully we have not had any below 0 weather ). When it is that cold I will put a battery charger on to warm up the battery. If it will crank at a reasonable speed my tractor has never failed to start. Since it is dark when I leave home in the morning and dark when I get home it may sit a week between starts and making sure the battery is up to snuff is all it seems to need. I do keep it full of fuel(to avoid condensation) and keep Power Service(to avoid Gelling) in the fuel during the winter. Have not used any spray starters in many years!

Edited by JD DANNELS, January 09, 2013 - 10:51 AM.

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 11:32 AM

Cranking speed on a cold diesel is very important. Keep that battery up to full capacity and the engine warm and if you have the correct fuel in it, it should start. 

#10 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 01:55 PM

Surely it has a place for a block heater. By far, a block heater is the simplest & best way for cold weather starting. Check with your JD dealer.

Ditto, unless it's in a heated area a block heater will make one happy tractor.

P.S. I had a 332 years ago stored in a unheated space but still had a block heater and that tractor started like it was July every time. I would throw a old blanket or moving pad over the engine hood area to help hold the heat in.

#11 Curtludwig OFFLINE  

Curtludwig
  • Member No: 31749
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 01:06 PM

I don't have any specific experience with small diesels in tractors but I've been driving a diesel Mercedes year round for the last 10 years and the posters that say block heater are right on. My cars each have a 400w block heater and after 1 hour the car will start no issue year round. Next best would be a magnetic stick on type heater.

If its really really cold (-40F and below) you could go to the "Fairbanks Package" which would include a battery heater, and oil pan heater.

Oil choice will make a big difference here too. I run Mobil 1 synthetic oil in everything. The newer car gets 5w40 "Turbo Diesel Truck" the older car gets 15w50 as does my Cub Cadet 70 which consumes oil badly, the heavier oil helps with that while still flowing MUCH better than conventional oil. Put a quart of conventional 15w40 diesel oil in the freezer and see how thick it gets, like honey. Try the same with M1 and it'll still pour. That helps your cranking speed and cold starts. If it were really cold (regularly -20F or colder) I'd be using M1 0w40 which is nearly water at room temperature. I've run that in my cars before but the engine gets more noisy while using it so I've never felt real good about it. Helps with cold starts though...