• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 greenworm OFFLINE  

greenworm

• Member No: 100
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted March 07, 2010 - 03:34 PM

I'm having problems with it flooding. I've set the float to where it's level when it upside down. Any suggestions?

#2 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted March 07, 2010 - 03:36 PM

Brass float?.......Might have a hole in it and sinking.....I had one that did that.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 07, 2010 - 04:02 PM

Take the float pin out & shake the float. If there's fluid sloshing around, then float is holed.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 07, 2010 - 04:25 PM

Other then what the other guys have suggested is to take the needle out and check the seat and make sure there is no debris keeping the needle from closing on the seat to seal it of when the float reaches the full height.

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted March 07, 2010 - 06:40 PM

Welcome to the Forum, greenworm :welcometogttalk:

Good advice already given :smile1:
Good luck

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 07, 2010 - 07:12 PM

Also, likely it's a "Flo-Jet" updraft carb. The emulsion tubes can leak too at their base seat. Could be the float isn't the culprit. Is the carb center gasket weeping? That would be sign of high fuel level. If top of carb stays dry, it may be emulsion tube.

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 07, 2010 - 07:24 PM

:welcome:greenworm

#8 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted March 17, 2010 - 10:42 PM

I agree with Olcowhand. We've had several of these 2-piece flo-jets in class that leak. There is a process of "reseating" the emulsion tube found in the manual using I believe a fine valve lapping compound. I don't remember it off hand and of course I don't have a book near me at the moment. If I remember right we didn't have much luck mostly I'm guessing to lack of patience of both student and instructor.

#9 Donthepackrat OFFLINE  

Donthepackrat

• Member No: 97
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted March 23, 2010 - 11:26 AM

I hope you got your problem fixed. All advice given was great.
I have had that problem many times over the years with many carbs. 99.99% of the time it was a little garbage stuck in the float valve orifice. If it is something that showed up after you took the carb apart, it could be the adjustment of the float ear that pushes up on the little valve (addressed in other posts) and is out of adjustment. I have some numbers for manufacturer settings (measurements) to set the tab properly if that is the problem.
A new seat and float pin is inexpensive to pick up and replace. The seat must be installed properly. If the problem is a little dirt being stuck, I would make sure the fuel line is not flaking off pieces and replace it if needed. Also check for a missing or damaged screen in the fuel tank that could be allowing dirt to flow. I would recommend an inline fuel filter if you don’t already have one and be careful when installing or re-installing the filter. Sometimes a little flake of the hose or dirt will get knocked loose in the line. I like to install a fuel line shut off valve if not equipped and allow a little fuel to run through the line to purge it of debris prior to attaching the line to the carb. (allow to drain/flush into a catch pan..not the ground)
After all of that.....I am not sure how your engine is set up, but you want to make sure no fuel ran into your intake and into your cylinder when the float stuck open. This will contaminate your oil and ruin your engine. You can smell the oil and examine the level and viscosity to ensure that this has not happened. When in doubt, drain it out and start with new manufacturer recommended oil. Do the oil change only after you are sure you have your float problem fixed. My neighbor changed his oil three times before the carb was fixed. He is a medical doctor and is a little slow with engines. (He is not my Doc by the way)
I've seen a couple of engines with tight bearings and other major damage due to flooding carbs leaking fuel into the oil via the cylinder.

Good Luck...Don

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 30, 2010 - 02:21 PM