• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 beerpig1 OFFLINE  

beerpig1
  • Member No: 64833
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted December 20, 2014 - 11:48 AM

Hi Folks.  My 81 y/o dad asked me to to get an answer to a question.  I do not have a lot of specific information as am 300 miles away from tractor.  He has a '68 jd 110 that the starter is shot.  Is it possible to remove the starter without removing the engine from the tractor?  He is a pretty good mechanic but cannot do a lot of heavy work anymore and is wondering.  If the answer is yes, he can do it.  No means I will do it next time home.  If more information is needed to answer the question, i can get him to write down the info next time he is out to the property where the tractor is.  thanks.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted December 20, 2014 - 07:57 PM

Is there any way to get a few pics or at least the serial number?
If it is what is known as a starter-generator, it is a larger separate piece, bolted to the block with a belt to drive the engine and start it.
If it is a small unit that bolts on the side of the engine and has a method of engaging the flywheel called a bendix.

Pictures would answer a lot of our questions easier, but serial number would be a starting point for the well versed JD owners.

BTW, you said the starter is shot... Exactly what is it doing?
  • Trav1s said thank you

#3 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted December 21, 2014 - 03:10 PM

If it is a '68 then it does NOT have the starter/generator.   Can you get a serial number on the tractor just to ensure we point you both in the right direction???

Travis

• MH81 said thank you

#4 beerpig1 OFFLINE  

beerpig1
  • Member No: 64833
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted December 22, 2014 - 10:35 AM

Thanks for the info.  I will be seeing my folks over the holidays...but not at home so will take some time to get the photos and info.  I am not sure my mom is tech savvy enough to do it with her phone so looks like I will do it when back in Erie sometime this winter.  I appreciate the quick response and understand the need to provide much more detailed info.  Dad was always the shell answermen and could do everything.  Sucks getting old.  I will post the info as soon as I get it...I know he wants to be ready for summer (although does not really use the tractor all that much anymore...he needs to have it running because...he wants to have it running). 

• Trav1s said thank you

#5 michael1968 OFFLINE  

michael1968
  • Member No: 9479
  • 18 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 02:31 PM

The answer is should be yes. I have a '68 110 and haven't had to pull the engine to remove the starter. It should be mounted to the side of the block with two bolts. It's a little bit easier to get at it if you remove the tin shroud surrounding the flywheel. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: starter