• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,669 Thanks
  • 28,318 posts

Posted February 28, 2011 - 11:19 PM

Finally got a chance to drop off the seat cushion at the Upholster's. He took some measurements, marked where it had shrunk & then we took the old cushion off. The pan was both better & worse than I expected. The rust was there & some pits, but there was lots of paint left too. the downside was, both corner spotwelds were broken, so the back of the seat was loose.

After I got back home, we found the bench enough to work. Putty knife in hand, Ryan got to work. After removing all the scale he could by scraping, Dad ran the wire brush on it for a while. After that, we braised the seat back together.
PICT0005 (Large).jpg

There are 2 spots of jagged rust on the edges... looking for suggestions here... I may be able to braise some metal back in. It's pretty thin tho.
PICT0007 (Large).jpg

Will post pics of repairs as they happen.

Edited by MH81, March 01, 2011 - 08:03 AM.

#2 Stoneman OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1763
  • 26 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted March 01, 2011 - 07:23 AM

Looks like you got a good start. Thanks for showing!!!

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted March 02, 2011 - 02:25 PM

Honestly, I think i'd just round off those edges with a sander or a file. They are going to be covered and no one will see them, plus it's not so much that the shape of the seat (or the performance of it) will be changed. My $.02....

#4 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted March 02, 2011 - 10:53 PM

I agree, I would try to keep the same profile shape and trim the sides evenly. Just remove enough metal so that they are the same on both sides. That way it will look correct, and you have good metal on the edge. Just rounding it off might be something that you can notice, where the re-cutting of the edge will be hard to tell if done right.