Garden Tractor Forums banner

Massey 1855 to a 4855

67K views 175 replies 39 participants last post by  ducky 
#1 ·
Well, it looks like I am back on track with our Massey 4 wheel articulate build.
I am presenting this in the diesel conversion due to that it will be powered by a Yanmar TK 3.66 diesel
I am going to try to keep this in sequence best I can. I have been playing with this for better than a year with interruptions but seem to be back on track with the time & $ssss required.
Ambition is to do an article on this project. Moderators help me here if I get off track.
Pics to come!:D

#3 ·
Ducky, we can get everything worked together then to make an article out of it once you are finished so take your time and post it however is easiest for you. Biggest suggestion is to upload the photos to the site and not use any image hosting providers as it let's us put the pics in with the article and align them.

I can't wait to see the build progress :thumbs:

#5 ·
We started by modifying the OEM 1855 frame to except the Yanmar. Then it was snowmobile engine mounts with the option of still being able to convert back to solid mounts if they could not handle the torque. Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Then it was how high to set the mounts. had to proceed to the drop box to insure the engine would not have to be moved. so we were on hold till I got the drop box design and able to use it to locate the final position of the engine. Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

In the meantime we also procured the Shafts, Bearings, and Hubs to go inside. This engine is set to run @ 1800 RPMs so we will need to set the gearing at 2-1 overdrive to supply the hydros with at least 3600 RPMs. Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

In the meantime we had a chance to do some work on the fuel system. The filter system that came with the engine was way to bulky so I dug out a filter that I had hoarded from an overstock that I got for $7.00 each x 4. this is a 10 micro filter as fuel system requires. Gas Engineering Auto part Machine Nut

Stay tuned, More to come.

Attachments

#6 ·
tractormike said:
Ducky, I will be waiting for pictures of you project. It should be quite a tractor when you get it finished. How many plow bottoms are you thinking of pulling with it?
Going to try for 6 semi mounted. Just need to come up with the iron. Have 3/12" and 4/6" so far. I think I may be able to fab the bottoms but still looking.

#11 ·
Let me clarify the model # I have choosen "4855"
Plans are to dual it so we have "4" wheel Drive with "8" tires in a "55" series tractor.
The Yanmar TK 3.66 is rated at 14 HP @ 2200 Rpms.
This engine was built to specs for Thermo king and is governed at 1800 Rpms.
Nothing impressive but just let me in to that pump.

#14 ·
Just an update
Had a day off yesterday and finalize all the innards for the drop box and got the final machine work over to my machinist.
Will have the parts back tonight and make the final assembly.
Then will need to mount it solid in the forward portion of the frame.
Also waiting on the shaft from the engine to the dropbox.

#15 ·
OK, Got the rest of the steel we needed to finish the drop box.
Here we added the side angle to mount it in the front drive unit
Motor vehicle Machine tool Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part

Then we capped off the bottom and installed a drain plug. I plan on using 80-90 to lube the chain.
Motor vehicle Machine tool Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part

Then to make the unit serviceable I fabricated a removable top cover with a Vent and fill plug.
Wood Gas Auto part Machine tool Machine

Here it is mounted in the power unit.
Gas Bumper Machine Nut Machine tool

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Bumper Automotive exterior

Here it is with the tail unit slid up to give an idea of what it will look like.
Seems a bit long but came cut a few inches if needed. Any thoughts on that?
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

Attachments

#17 ·
It's amazing the things a person misses when they are away.:D This is looking like a great build,you're doing a great job Ducky.:thumbs::thumbs:

#18 ·
Caught it Dan. You are on the ball.
Silicon RTV will be my friend.:laughingteeth:
Going to look for a rubber gasket for the top.
Probably should go with 140 or oo flow-able grease.
Although 00 may not get into the chain.

#19 ·
ducky said:
Caught it Dan. You are on the ball.
Silicon RTV will be my friend.:laughingteeth:
Going to look for a rubber gasket for the top.
Probably should go with 140 or oo flow-able grease.
Although 00 may not get into the chain.
Well, being you have new chain, it already has lube inside the chain, so running in extra heavy lube will prevent that lube from coming out. I think even the heaviest gear oil will work into the chain though. Our silage mixer wagon runs the front chains in a 140 gear oil bath, and they sure stay oiled inside & out, so I think heavier would do fine too.

#20 ·
olcowhand said:
Well, being you have new chain, it already has lube inside the chain, so running in extra heavy lube will prevent that lube from coming out. I think even the heaviest gear oil will work into the chain though. Our silage mixer wagon runs the front chains in a 140 gear oil bath, and they sure stay oiled inside & out, so I think heavier would do fine too.
Thanks Dan always good to here for experience.

#21 ·
I've used a spray that was made for motorcycle drive chains on my bikes , that worked pretty well , it was kind of sticky so it didn't fly off as easy as oil ,

#22 ·
Alc said:
I've used a spray that was made for motorcycle drive chains on my bikes , that worked pretty well , it was kind of sticky so it didn't fly off as easy as oil ,
That's another way.
My thoughts as to a closed case was to keep the dust and mud out with this being a tractor I plan to use quit a bit. Thx.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.