8 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted December 18, 2014 - 12:43 PM

Started out as the frame & wheels of a 10 or 1254, a couple hoods, one from a G14 and rear fender and seat from an older tractor.  It was posted on this site as "What is it".  Today I drove it out of the garage in 1/2" of snow. 

I had the 13 hp Chinese engine and set it in using the original mounting holes.  Put a flat iron spacer under the engine to give clearance up front for the recoil start.  This engine proved to be deeper parallel with the crank shaft than the Wisconsin or B&S engines.  Therefor there is no room for the PTO belts or tension pulley as can be seen in a couple of the photos.  Also a standard 4 belt pulley would not work either as it would be to deep and the belts would not line up with the drive shaft pulley.  Purchased a cast iron 2 groove A / B pulley as the price was cheaper and free shipping.  This pulley presented another problem when it came to putting the new 33" belts on.  I used the NAPA green line as they are more durable than the standard FHP black belts.  The belts had to be put on the motor pulley with the pulley off the shaft.  Then work the pulley back on the crank shaft and line it up.

The clutch was adjusted OK as was the brake.  I used the G14 hood as it had some of the side panel cut out already so a little more would not hurt it any.  Cut out the panel enough for the hood to clear the air cleaner when opened.  To get the back of the hood to rest on the dash I had to move the firewall and dash assembly forward about an inch.  The left side of the hood had been heated, stretched and pulled out to allow room for the starter generator pulley & belt prior, I believe but don't know for sure.  I had to cut this bulge, then heat it and flatten the side back out again and overlap the cut area.  Then brazed it back together, along with a couple other broken spots on the hood.  All in all the hood don't look to bad for what it was.

The electric switch was moved to the dash.  A new throttle cable was installed as well as the choke cable.  Fresh gear oil in the trany and a fill of gas, check the engine oil and it was ready to fire up. Started right off and ran like a new one.  Trany shifted great through all gears and ranges.  Drove it down to a lower building and put the blade on and back up to the garage.  Not enough snow to do anything so took the photos and put it back in the garage.

I did make one pass up the drive and back and noticed the blade is lower on the right side.  It carries on the right shoe but the left one is about an inch off the ground.  Going to have to do some checking and see where it may be twisted at.  Have one front tire that is leaving a green spot in the snow each time it goes around so guess the slime is not holding on it as yet.  will have to work on that and probably replace it.  Going to run the old tires as long as they will stay up.  Will wait for Dennis Kirk to have a sale on them.

Was an interesting project to work on and I learned a lot working on it.  Will know a lot more things to watch for if/when I do another re-power project.

re-pow-7.JPG re-pow-4.JPG re-pow-3.JPG re-pow-2.JPG re-pow-5.JPG re-pow-6.JPG re-pow-1.JPG

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,631 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted December 18, 2014 - 01:32 PM

Looks great!  :thumbs:

When we do get a big snow your snow shovel is going to be mighty lonely.  :rolling:

• chieffan said thank you

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,305 Thanks
  • 2,338 posts

Posted December 18, 2014 - 04:47 PM

Heck ya that will work.Exhaust looks really good.

You could put the engine forward a bit if you used a set of engine mounts like these.They used these on the Briggs and Stratton powered G10 and G11 Not sure if they used them on any other models.

DSCF5209.jpg

Basically it uses 4 bolts per side.2 through the engine and 2 through the frame.Those round spacer looking things are welded to the steel plate and are Threaded like nuts.

Edited by EricFromPa, December 18, 2014 - 04:48 PM.

#4 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8713
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted December 18, 2014 - 04:57 PM

great save!!!!!   way to go looks like it will be profitable to you also  .  in Christ  bobby o.

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted December 18, 2014 - 05:01 PM

Heck ya that will work.Exhaust looks really good.

You could put the engine forward a bit if you used a set of engine mounts like these.They used these on the Briggs and Stratton powered G10 and G11 Not sure if they used them on any other models.

attachicon.gifDSCF5209.jpg

Basically it uses 4 bolts per side.2 through the engine and 2 through the frame.Those round spacer looking things are welded to the steel plate and are Threaded like nuts.

Those look OK.  How much does it raise the engine above the tube frame?  How much does it move the engine forward?  If I would do something like that I would need longer belts as the 33" just let me get the pulley back on the shaft and that is all.  Would have to go 1/2" higher and then 34" belts.  I would have to measure to be sure but I think I would need about 1.25" forward to allow for the tension pulley for the PTO.  Then not sure there would be room in front for the pull start; which could be removed with 3 screws.  Will have to do some checking on that and see what can be done.  Those belts are $14 each so not real anxious to go spend another $30 for belts when these are doing just fine.  Thanks for the information.  Will sure keep it in mind.

• MH81 and EricFromPa have said thanks

#6 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,305 Thanks
  • 2,338 posts

Posted December 18, 2014 - 05:50 PM

I had to use a 35" belt on the 1254 that I stuck the G11 engine into.It had those engine mounts.

The engine bolts ended up sitting exactly over the top of the 1st set of Axle mount bolts.I had to put a thick washer under each threaded standoff to clear the front bolts.

I'm guessing it slide the engine forward 1"- 1 1/2"?.

You'll have to measure but if you have someone make a set you can make them to slide it forward as much as you'll need.I think I would weld 2 nuts together and weld the nuts fast to a plate.

I would just use it the way it is for now.Looks like a heck of a good plowing and towing machine.Easy on Fuel and it will be unstoppable in the snow if you get a little weight on the rear.Fill the tires or put some good heavy wheel weights on it.

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted December 18, 2014 - 06:41 PM

EricfromPA said   "I would just use it the way it is for now.  Looks like a heck of a good plowing and towing machine.  Easy on Fuel and it will be unstoppable in the snow if you get a little weight on the rear.  Fill the tires or put some good heavy wheel weights on it."

Exactly what I plan to do, run it as is. Tires are not good enough to put fluid in. They are doing good just to hold air.  I have chains on the thrower tractor with fluid in the tires and bar lugs.  I may switch the chains over to this one for better traction if I don't need them on the thrower unit.

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted December 19, 2014 - 06:14 AM

Great save and repower and now a Very capable looking unit.
Lots of bad tires at my place. Amazing how well a set of tubes will extend their usefulness.
IMHO, tube them and fill them with the fluid of your choice, then chain them up with an old set of truck tire chains. You may have to wait a while, but you can find those at flea markets and yard sales for pretty cheap, then cut to length.

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted December 19, 2014 - 08:11 AM

Great save and repower and now a Very capable looking unit.
Lots of bad tires at my place. Amazing how well a set of tubes will extend their usefulness.
IMHO, tube them and fill them with the fluid of your choice, then chain them up with an old set of truck tire chains. You may have to wait a while, but you can find those at flea markets and yard sales for pretty cheap, then cut to length.

I usually have good luck with slime but not working the best on a couple these old tires.  One had about 4" of tube showing through the tread.  Another had a slow leak, took it off blew it up and the tire split and puked the slime out on the shop floor.  Another failure for slime, but I still like it.  Going to try and pick up some tubes today and get things in better shape for the rest of this winter.  Your right on the tire chains.  Usually a buck will buy them.  Half the people now days don't know how to put a pair of chain on.

• MH81 said thank you