10 replies to this topic

#1 akretowicz OFFLINE  

akretowicz

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2090
  • 148 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted February 28, 2011 - 06:30 PM

The Springfield 2 wheeled tractor i recently purchased has ratchets on the inner hubs. Can anyone knowledgeable in these things please tell me how they are supposed to work? I want to use this thing this summer, and feel it will be a good idea to be able to safely operate it. Thanks!

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 28, 2011 - 06:39 PM

I think they are just to allow for easier turns, but I can't say in a truly educated way.

#3 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted February 28, 2011 - 06:43 PM

I think they are just to allow for easier turns, but I can't say in a truly educated way.

:ditto:

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted February 28, 2011 - 07:58 PM

Easier turning & "free-wheeling". I don't think many or any of the ones with the dogs had any kind of reverse.

#5 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted February 28, 2011 - 08:38 PM

Any ratcheting hubs I've used allow one wheel to turn faster than the other on turns - not one slower than the other. The slow one is still locked to the axle. But there is a big BUT. They both can turn faster than the axle like running away down a hill. Or a tiller hooks up and drives the tractor rather than till the ground. The dogs kick out and things get real fast.

Garry

#6 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted February 28, 2011 - 08:47 PM

You're right, Garry. I never thought about the problem of a tiller "pushing" the tractor. That could get real interesting, real fast!!

#7 akretowicz OFFLINE  

akretowicz

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2090
  • 148 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted March 01, 2011 - 09:03 AM

So, when I started this thing, the axles turned. I have locked the ratchet dogs up. Now, I am sure the axle isn't supposed to turn when it is idling. That is what the engagement lever is for. I believe the belt may be too wide. It should just sit there when it is idling. I believe the belt is 5/8" wide. It does not sit down into the pulley too far either. The engine driven pulley.

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted March 01, 2011 - 12:27 PM

May be the wrong width, may be the wrong taper. Also some belts are deeper than others & ride on the bottom of the pulley when used in the wrong application.

#9 david b OFFLINE  

david b

• Member No: 3086
  • 1 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 02:41 PM

the ratchet hubs have clickers in the inner part of the hubs these are called clutch pawls. the clutch pawls are what drive the wheels they go around when the axle makes a reveloution. when the motor goes . do you understand how they work now simple mechanics dave .

#10 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 10:31 PM

Easier turning & "free-wheeling". I don't think many or any of the ones with the dogs had any kind of reverse.

Yes , DB tractors were built to do this, when using there reverser system. You had to change out the orginal hubs and dog, replace them with a sliding in the hub unit. This basiclly let you have a dog for forwards, then by pushing the R rod, the center off the hub turned and the other dog then grips the hub. I also have an edko tractor that does this in a more complicated way using an internal spring.

#11 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1918
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 11:17 AM

I Don't know if the system you have is anything like the David Bradleys but perhaps watching these two videos i made showing how the DB Ratcheting Hubs & Reverse Mechanism work may shed some light on it for you. I Have many Pictures as well if they would be helpful, just let me know. Good Luck, DanO'

‪How David Bradley Tractor Wheel Hubs Ratcheting Mechanism Work.‬‏ - YouTube

‪How David Bradley Tractor Reverse Hub Mechanism Works.‬‏ - YouTube

Edited by DanO, July 25, 2011 - 11:23 AM.

• akretowicz said thank you