#17 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1978
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted March 05, 2011 - 12:48 AM

Ok going tomorrow to get stuff to pressure test the pump.

#18 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted March 05, 2011 - 01:19 AM

Apache Hydraulic Hose — 1/4in. x 36in.L, 1-Wire, 2750 PSI | Hydraulic Hose | Northern Tool + Equipment

Valley Instrument 2 1/2in. Stainless Steel Glycerin Gauge — 0-5000 PSI | Filled Gauges | Northern Tool + Equipment

and a double female fitting to join them

#19 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted March 05, 2011 - 11:39 PM

Ordered the stuff hopefully be in in a few days. Thanks for the links YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!

#20 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 05:19 PM

I got the gauge and line in and hooked it up to the control valve where the hex head plug is like this.
100_35421.jpg
It reads 0 at idle and full throttle. when you put a load on it it read something. The more the load the more psi. Driving around less than 1000 the most I ever saw on it was about 2000 when the tiller was on and running deep and motor had huge load on it almost died. What do you think? I don't know what any of this means it didn't act the way you described it of jumping up to 2600 and dropping when relief valve was opened. Here is the video sorry for the crappy camera work.

#21 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 05:20 PM

I was running tiller in video and it was bogging down the motor and making the gauge rise

#22 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 05:42 PM

If the pump is holding 2000psi I would say its OK.

When I put mine against something that is not moveable and put the pedal all the way down the relief opens at 22/2300. Does yours around the same?

And assume you are running the engine at WOT, all the fins are on the fan and the cooler is clean?

Where is Tom A

#23 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 09:41 PM

I was just watching the gauge as I was tilling and when it was under a heavy load it read about 2000. Tomorrow I will push against a tree and see what it says. If I push against the tree at full throttle what do you mean the relief valve opens? I still have the gauge hooked up. So I just need to go up to a tree and push and see how high the gauge goes before the motor dies? It has a new fan blade on it and sprayed the cooler down with wd-40 and hosed off.

#24 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 12:14 AM

The motor shouldnt die. If your motor dies it has weak ignition, worn out, running on one cylinder. When the engine is loaded up before the relief valve opens up it will bog down, but shouldnt stall. The relief valve is protection for the system. You dont want your pump to get between a rock (the object youre trying to move) and a hard place (the power of the engine) the pump will explode under too much pressure, the relief valve stops that from happening. The relief valve should open at 22/2300 something like that.

#25 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 12:33 AM

Ok that's what I was wanting to hear. It makes perfect sense now. Can't wait until in the morning so I can test it out. By the way just for reference how do I find out what pump I have on mine? I would like to get a spare possibly from northern or somewhere any ideas and possible about the kits for the drive motor found one place that sells them for 88 bucks. Also if you know I would like to possibly get a new motor for my tiller maybe upgrade to more power any ideas? Thanks for everything mike.

#26 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 12:52 AM

Hydriv can tell you what pump you have and I think he said you can get a replacement for $200.

I dont know anything about hydraulics but I dont think you are going to get the tiller to perform better. If you want it to have more ripping power you will need a larger displacement motor on the tiller $$$, which with the pump you have will spin it slower. If you got a larger pump you might need different mounts, bigger lines, and the travel speed would be too fast.

I read that if you spin tillers in reverse they do a nicer job?

#27 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 01:13 AM

I will have to pm Hydriv and find out. Yeah I guess it does alright I am just use to running a tiller behind a ford 3910 (turn everything to dust). I have already switched the tines on mine and only run it in reverse. Anyways thanks for all the help I am going to dead head it tomorrow and hope the gauge reads 22 to 23oo.