#1 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1978
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted February 28, 2011 - 03:45 PM

I have had my tractor for a couple of weeks and have got it running good and have used it a few times and love it. I was told that you are suppose to run hydraulic equipment at full throttle. Is this true? My tractor seems to build up a lot of heat under the hood at full throttle. Is this normal with these tractors? I have been idling it around and using the throttle as sparingly as possible to keep the heat down under the hood. I hope that I am not hurting anything by doing this. My tractor seems to lose a little power when it gets hot. Instead of spinning the tires it just slows down when pushing with grader blade ect. It really isn't that big of a deal yet but if it gets worse I think it would be a big deal. I have only noticed this when I ran the tractor for an extended period of time like an hour or more at a time. I think I will change the oil in the system to see if that helps. I was going to put 10w40 in it. What is the best oil to put back in it? I was told that I might have a worn pump or drive motor. I want to try and pressure test my system but I have no idea how can anyone help? Also I have a spare drive motor I could put in it if it is bad but no spare hyd pump. Also was wondering if I could put a hyd filter on it somehow? Any help with any or all of these questions would be very much appreciated.

Edited by olcowhand, February 28, 2011 - 06:06 PM.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 28, 2011 - 05:34 PM

I have had my tractor for a couple of weeks and have got it running good and have used it a few times and love it. I was told that you are suppose to run hydraulic equipment at full throttle. Is this true? My tractor seems to build up a lot of heat under the hood at full throttle. Is this normal with these tractors? I have been idling it around and using the throttle as sparingly as possible to keep the heat down under the hood. I hope that I am not hurting anything by doing this. My tractor seems to lose a little power when it gets hot. Instead of spinning the tires it just slows down when pushing with grader blade ect. It really isn't that big of a deal yet but if it gets worse I think it would be a big deal. I have only noticed this when I ran the tractor for an extended period of time like an hour or more at a time. I think I will change the oil in the system to see if that helps. I was going to put 10w40 in it. What is the best oil to put back in it? I was told that I might have a worn pump or drive motor. I want to try and pressure test my system but I have no idea how can anyone help? Also I have a spare drive motor I could put in it if it is bad but no spare hyd pump. Also was wondering if I could put a hyd filter on it somehow? Any help with any or all of these questions would be very much appreciated.

Josh, as oil thins with heat, it does allow easier bypassing in worn areas. Might be a worn pump or drive motor. You have a spare drive motor to swap out & see if it's that, but maybe do a pressure test first. Not getting to really use that tractor myself, I don't have a working knowledge of testing procedures for that tractor.

Edited by olcowhand, February 28, 2011 - 06:07 PM.

#3 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted February 28, 2011 - 05:43 PM

Thought about changing the oil in it should I use regular motor oil like 1o w 40?

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 28, 2011 - 05:51 PM

Thought about changing the oil in it should I use regular motor oil like 1o w 40?

Shell Rotella 15W40 only! I doubt Cecil has changed the oil since I got it going for him.

#5 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted February 28, 2011 - 06:01 PM

Shell Rotella 15W40 only! I doubt Cecil has changed the oil since I got it going for him.

OK thanks.

#6 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted March 01, 2011 - 10:08 AM

Does anybody know how to run a pressure test on these tractors?

#7 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted March 01, 2011 - 04:29 PM

IMG00336.jpg

There is a 1/4" hex plug on the control valve

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG00344.jpg
  • IMG00341.jpg

#8 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted March 01, 2011 - 04:29 PM

and youll need a 5000psi gauge. got it all from northern. thats a 1/4" hose i think 3'

#9 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted March 01, 2011 - 09:02 PM

So you check the pressure sitting still and then in motion or what do you check, how do you know if things are worn?

#10 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted March 01, 2011 - 10:37 PM

Change the hydraulic oil to 15-40 or 30 motor oil. You can drain the system by that plug. Crank it over till nothing else comes out. Once you have done that and replaced the oil. Get it up to temp then see what the pressure is in low range and dead head it against a tree or something

#11 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted March 01, 2011 - 10:45 PM

Ok going to have to pick up a length of hose and valve. What should the pressure read?

#12 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted March 01, 2011 - 10:56 PM

Mine pops up to 2600, but it drops down when the relief opens up at like 2200 or 2300

#13 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted March 01, 2011 - 11:00 PM

Ok thanks Will have to get that stuff and check it out.

#14 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted March 04, 2011 - 07:14 PM

Still haven't got the gauge and lines but no need can tell something is wrong. I re-plowed the garden today and didn't think I was going to be able to finish it. The tractor did really good for the first 5 rows or so and then it just wouldn't pull the plow very good no tire spin at all and I was having to bump the 3 point up and towards the end of the garden I wasn't plowing very deep at all. After I finished I unhooked the plow and took it for a drive in high gear and it wouldn't go very fast and it wouldn't go up the driveway which is not very steep at all. Like in 30' it maybe rises 6' (my 4 year old can pedal her bike up it) LOL. I have a spare parts tractor that has a control valve and a drive motor. I took the old motor off and hooked the lines up to it and it turns. I can't tell if it is going to be any better than the one I already have. It is a big job to change the drive motor take 3 point off, rear end completly off, take axle out, ect ( BIG PAIN). I was wondering if ingersoll or anyone else for that matter sold kits to rebuild these drive motors. I would like to know that the motor is working 100% before putting it on. Also if they have kits for the control valve and the main hyd pump itself.

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 04, 2011 - 08:26 PM

Sorry to hear this Josh. I wouldn't do anything with the motor until testing the output pressure of the pump. Not likely in the control valve though. I don't think the valve would allow that much bypass no matter how worn.