36 replies to this topic

#31 stanz OFFLINE  

stanz
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 64272
  • 73 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 11:19 PM

Those dual mufflers sound amazing.I have a Snapper LT16 and it's the best sounding engine I've heard in quite a while.

1 thing though you might want to either turn the ends out or make dual stacks out of them.It might be a little Warm on your feet  :flamethrower: :rolling:

I cut the pipes so that the exhaust now goes straight down.  That's good enough for now, it sure is a LOT quieter with the exhaust going away from me.  They point forward in an LT16 so you don't hear half the noise they put out.

Still haven't seen a decent snow since I put this together. Rain, 1/2" snow, sleet, everything but a decent snow.  All we have is ice, spreading salt every day.

#32 stanz OFFLINE  

stanz
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 73 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 07:05 PM

Well, we got about 6" of wet snow and the Sno-Caster did okay, not great, but okay.  It clogged a bunch of times but part of the problem is what I was trying to clean.  The sidewalks of the church have hard turns and are mostly 4' wide.

The turning radius of the tractor with Sno-Caster installed meant I did a LOT of forward-reverse to make the turns.  The loose shifter caused problems for me again, I need to address that. 

Oh, and I had to put chains on the tractor.  It had been over 40 years since I did that, I had forgotten what that was like.  Once the chains were installed it was unstoppable.

The turning radius is a killer for me.  The rig does what it's supposed to do but I can't use it!  I'll sort out all the little issues and sell it.  I'll keep the other 1220 for all my other needs.  I'm not a collector any longer, if I can't use it, I'm not keeping it around.

It will make a nice rig for someone.

#33 stanz OFFLINE  

stanz
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 73 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted January 25, 2015 - 08:53 AM

Well, I may have spoken too soon. My plow truck broke last night, if I can't fix it in the next 24 hours I'll use the Bolens for the driveways. We have a bigger storm coming Monday-Wednesday, hopefully it will be nice fluffy snow so the Sno-Caster can blow it far.

#34 stanz OFFLINE  

stanz
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 73 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted January 27, 2015 - 02:19 PM

Well that was a disaster! :wallbanging:  The Bolens fired up and blew the snow just fine for a couple hundred yards then I noticed I couldn't shift, the tractor stopped dead and the starter refused to budge.  One of the drive belts had popped off somehow and jammed up the works.

I couldn't push the tractor since it's got to be over 800 pounds with a loaded Sno-Caster, and my weight box.  I ended up pushing it a couple hundred feet with my plow truck.  Push, straighten, push, repeat.

After that I fixed the plow truck and I'll do the small stuff with my '84 Snapper large frame blower.

The Sno-Caster did work great and the shifter fix worked well.  Now I gotta figure out what went wrong.  I'm guessing it's a problem with the belt idlers.

#35 stanz OFFLINE  

stanz
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 73 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted January 27, 2015 - 07:11 PM

The starter is fine, the negative battery terminal came loose.  I'll figure out the belt issue

#36 stanz OFFLINE  

stanz
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 73 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 12:10 PM

The belt drive pulley came loose on the engine and slid back.  Hmmm

#37 stanz OFFLINE  

stanz
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 73 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted January 30, 2015 - 12:29 PM

The pulley will not slide again. The engine shaft is threaded so I put a three inch bolt in it, secured with Loctite Red Thread Locker.

Unfortunately the drive belts are shot, I wish I had recorded what size I used, doh! :wallbanging:

That's gonna be a fun job to do again.  The PTO belts are okay. 

I may just work on the "pretty" 1220 since all it needs is a bit of wiring and a fuel leak fixed.  I could actually use the plow today, light snow.