16 replies to this topic

#1 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 07, 2010 - 12:08 PM

Anyone have Creeping Myrtle (or whatever it's called) in their yard? It's taking over here! There is no grass left in some areas of my lawn. I researched some "cures" for it, last year. I know there are some sprays out there that will work. The article said that the best time to spray is, in the spring, when the little flowers appear. Apparently this stuff is pretty hard to get rid of... not your average lawn weed to kill.
Anyone have any ideas/thoughts on the subject?:help:

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 07, 2010 - 01:03 PM

I never heard of the stuff but I would go for the spraying routine in the spring and see how your luck goes.

#3 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted March 07, 2010 - 03:29 PM

Heard of Creeping Charlie.....I thought a Creeping Myrtle was some sot of tree or shrub.....May be wrong

edit.....Looked it up..... Vinca minor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Creeping Charlie..... Controlling Creeping Charlie

#4 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 07, 2010 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for the reply, and posting that link, poncho62. That looks like the same stuff that's growing in my yard. I have a lot of shade, and last year was a very wet year, so I can understand why it's thriving so good. I hand pulled a lot of it out of the flower beds last year. I'll have to see about getting something to spray on the lawn and see if I can get ahead of this stuff before summer gets here.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 08, 2010 - 02:23 PM

That Creeping Charlie is around here too, but mostly in my farmyard area. So far my yard is clear of it.

#6 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 08, 2010 - 03:54 PM

I've lived at this house for 27 years. My lawn was great for a long time. I think the problem is, that the trees in the area have gotten big, and there's not enough sun to dry the yard. According to what I read, Creeping Charlie thrives on moisture. I guess the best thing to do, is get it killed off, and then seed some new grass that is good to grow in shaded areas.

There's no grass left in one part of my yard. It's probably an area about 25' square. Pretty much just mud now, with the old Charlie vines laying on top. Do you guys think I should spray, when the right time comes to kill this stuff off, and then plant the grass?

Or would it be best to start from scratch... till it up, as soon as it's dry enough, plant the grass, and then use weed killer and fertilizer in hopes that the new grass will take hold before the Charlie comes back?

I'm kind of lost on this. Any help would be appreciated.

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 08, 2010 - 05:23 PM

2-4-D should kill the vine, and if any drift goes out, it's harmless to grass. It'll also kill flowers dead. I'd spray as soon as it shows sign of new growth, then sow grass seed asap. That fertilizer that also kills dandelion may kill that vine too.

#8 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 08, 2010 - 06:15 PM

2-4-D should kill the vine, and if any drift goes out, it's harmless to grass. It'll also kill flowers dead. I'd spray as soon as it shows sign of new growth, then sow grass seed asap. That fertilizer that also kills dandelion may kill that vine too.

Thanks, I'll try that. I've got to be careful spraying. I was out there, today, and noticed the flowers are already starting to sprout.

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 08, 2010 - 07:14 PM

Thanks, I'll try that. I've got to be careful spraying. I was out there, today, and noticed the flowers are already starting to sprout.

2-4-d "Lo V" is best. The "Lo V" stands for low volitility, so almost no chance of vapors hurting stuff. You could toss an old bed sheet over any flowers & you'd be safe to remove the sheet immediately. Thing is, I'm certified for pesticides, so I can get these chemicals easily. You may have to get a less powerful version at a lawn & garden center.

#10 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 08, 2010 - 07:40 PM

I was just looking up some different sprays offered. One of the suggested products was "Ortho Weed-B-Gone Max Plus Crabgrass Control Concentrate". It's around $12.00 a bottle at the local Farm & Fleet store... makes 12 quarts. Guess I'll give that a try. Good idea about the sheets. Thanks for the help!!

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 08, 2010 - 07:51 PM

I was just looking up some different sprays offered. One of the suggested products was "Ortho Weed-B-Gone Max Plus Crabgrass Control Concentrate". It's around $12.00 a bottle at the local Farm & Fleet store... makes 12 quarts. Guess I'll give that a try. Good idea about the sheets. Thanks for the help!!

Yep, it has 2-4-D in it. It should work great!

#12 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted May 02, 2011 - 09:51 PM

I use Trimec on my lawn for creeping charlie/jenny
You how to reapply again 7 to 14 days later.
Works if it is not in the rainy season.
you also need to spray about ten to twenty feet into your neighbors yard, so it stay over in his.
I also use my EZ-Rake and sweep the yard about 3 or 4 times a years, it helps

good luck

#13 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted May 02, 2011 - 09:58 PM

Funny that this thread resurfaced today. I was just noticing how healthy "Charlie" is still doing in my yard... never got it sprayed last year!
Going to try and get it done as soon as it dries up a bit and the wind quits blowing.

#14 matts OFFLINE  

matts

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2175
  • 48 Thanks
  • 166 posts

Posted May 02, 2011 - 11:09 PM

if you will add some sort of surfactant to the 24d it will be more likely to kill the vine. The 24d I use requires a non ionic surfactant. Its a good chance the farm and fleet can set you up with somthing beter that the ortho junk. If 24d is bought in less that 1 gallon you wont need an applicators license. If you cant find a surfactant, uses dawn soap.

#15 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted May 03, 2011 - 01:02 PM

If you are starting from scratch I would use Round-Up, (Glyphosate) it is none selective, so you kill everything and then reseed.
Allow about 1.5-2 weeks for it to totally kill and everything will be dead.
No special timing with this either.