• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted December 17, 2014 - 05:41 AM

I hadn't spent much time on the laptop since getting this desktop, so I fired it up and ran some scans on it. Found some Malware in the restore area. Got that cleaned out and made a new restore point. Uninstalled some things not needed. Updated some drivers. Ran the defrag. Made another restore point. It's working pretty good again.

Then I copied some of the files over to this one so I didn't have to search them out. Ran some scans on this one. I now have my PDF's, pics, drawings and such stored in 3 different places as I did another backup on the external hard drive after all that. I am missing a few things after the old XP desktop went belly up. Trying not to lose things again.

I talked to a friend about the old XP puter. He said his son may be able to get my files off the old hard drive, so he is taking it to him. Hope he can. May be a while, though.

On the external hard drive, I do not leave it hooked up. That way if I get something on here and need the backup, it will not be infected. Looking at what else I can put on there to help with rebuilding this one if needed. So far, I am backing up the full system and my files/pics.

• olcowhand and Oldford have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted December 17, 2014 - 08:06 AM

I need to get that proactive.
  • olcowhand said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted December 17, 2014 - 08:13 AM

I'm really happy with the external hard drive I have. It's a Toshiba Canvio 1TB, USB 3.0 +2.0. Comes with the backup software on it. When I plug it in, it opens the backup program. Just pick your files to back up and go. Only thing I am not happy with is the cord is real short (12"), but the puter has USB ports on the front. It also has 10GB Cloud storage.

• olcowhand and MH81 have said thanks

#4 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted December 17, 2014 - 08:33 AM

10 GB cloud is pretty good for free.  We have been having issues and slow speeds with our internet the last few day so a tech is coming today to check out AT&T's portion of the system.  Some how when ever they come they always blame it on the house wiring but then magically it starts working again. 

How long have you had the Toshiba external drive?  That Seagate I had didn't last a year, had it replaced under warranty and that lasted a grand total of 6 months.  I've got a WD external I've had for at least 7 or more years.  I've carried that thing all over the country when I was working and it is still going.  I backup my home folder to it.

• olcowhand and chieffan have said thanks

#5 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 17, 2014 - 08:41 AM

Me too!

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted December 17, 2014 - 08:42 AM

10 GB cloud is pretty good for free.  We have been having issues and slow speeds with our internet the last few day so a tech is coming today to check out AT&T's portion of the system.  Some how when ever they come they always blame it on the house wiring but then magically it starts working again. 

How long have you had the Toshiba external drive?  That Seagate I had didn't last a year, had it replaced under warranty and that lasted a grand total of 6 months.  I've got a WD external I've had for at least 7 or more years.  I've carried that thing all over the country when I was working and it is still going.  I backup my home folder to it.

I haven't had it very long, Bill! Just got it after getting this desktop last month.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted December 17, 2014 - 08:42 AM

Me too!

What was the name of the software you used to use? Did it work well for you?
Acronis, wasn't it?

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted December 17, 2014 - 08:44 AM

It has a 2 year warranty!

#9 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 17, 2014 - 08:46 AM

Yes, Acronis, and it works super!  Still use it, but never used all it's features, which I should.  I lost the CD, but it's already on my computers.  I've only used the hard disc clone feature.   I need to get a new hard drive for this PC and make a clone to have on hand.  Makes replacing a hard drive just plug & play.

#10 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted December 17, 2014 - 08:49 AM

It has a 2 year warranty!

That beats Seagates 1 year.

• KennyP said thank you

#11 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,664 posts

Posted December 17, 2014 - 09:05 AM

Isn't that that stuff that loosens 'things' up??  

Use the old H/D from your desktop as a backup.  That's what I did to mine.  I have a 320 GB data storage unit now.  I plug it in and back recent data up then unplug it.  Being it's USB 2.0 the speed's slow but I have things backed up in a 4th location (along with Zip drives) and I'm safe!  Learned the fried H/D lesson years ago.  I won't lose the memories again!

• KennyP, HDWildBill and chieffan have said thanks

#12 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,163 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted August 22, 2015 - 12:18 PM

OK, I have seen the talk about a cloud, "10 GB cloud" , etc.  Just what is this cloud stuff?  I have a couple real dark clouds hanging over this thing most of the time but they haven't done me any good that I know of.

I read the "definition" under the computer terms but it didn't make a lot of sense to me.  To many big words that weren't invented yet way back when I went to school.

Edited by chieffan, August 22, 2015 - 12:44 PM.

#13 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted August 22, 2015 - 01:17 PM

Think of it this way.  You have a will or an important document that you want to make sure is safe.  So you decide you want to register it with the local court house.  So you get in your car and drive to the court house and they make a copy of it and register it to your name.

Storing file's on the internet (cloud) is the same thing.  You have a file you want to save but worried about loosing it if your computer crashes, so you create an account say with DropBox and copy the file to one of their serves.  It is the same thing as the above example.  You have the important document, you transfer it to a place for safe keeping. 

Don't let terms confuse you.  Cloud is simply a term that means you have access to a computer somewhere in the world but do not have physical custody of it or control over it. GTT could be considered the cloud, loosely, because you can upload pictures here and you have access to them from any other computer as long as you login.  If your home computer should die for some reason you still have your pictures because George backs the server up each day. 

Another example would be say you have a photo of your grandchild on a tractor you just love, it would really hurt you if you lost that photo.  You decide to share it here on GTT and put it in you Gallery. 2 days later your Hard drive goes belly up.  Have you lost that special photo?  No you put it in the "Cloud" here on the GTT server so when you get your computer fixed you can download it back on to your computer and you still have that special file. 

I really don't know how to explain it any better.  Perhaps someone else has a better way.

• olcowhand, WNYTractorTinkerer and chieffan have said thanks

#14 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,163 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted August 26, 2015 - 03:26 PM

Now that makes a lot more sense to me.  Sounds like a real good idea too.  Never knew there was such a thing.  I know there are all kinds of backup stuff out there but never really trusted them that much and was concerned about the security aspect of it all.  May have to look into it.  Thanks much for that great explanation in terms a normal person can understand..

#15 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,664 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 08:18 PM

My picture sizes are bigger than the space allowed on GTT so that's why I have multiple copies of everything..  2 laptops, a desktop and two sets of flash drives..  I think I'm safe!

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, September 01, 2015 - 08:18 PM.