• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 972 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 11:13 PM

I found a 444 for sale. Decent shape. I know nothing about them, but it think they are cool. I have a Suburban, Simplicity Landlord, 185 Deere and a few David Bradley's.

My question: can I use the plows I have for my Suburban with the 444? I know Sears is unique and it's not a Cat 0. Will I need to start looking for Case specific attachments? What do I need to look for on this tractor? Long term I want to build a front end loader for it but initially I just want to hang a push blade on the front and use it to plow my garden.
  • Oldford said thank you

#2 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted December 17, 2014 - 12:31 AM

I ran a 444 back in the early 80s, I loved that tractor.

without seeing the attachments,  and knowing what hitch option you have, I can't say for sure.

The unit I ran had a basic sleeve hitch with hydraulic lift. It was a good solid tractor for tilling and blowing snow

I have no idea if the hitch met standard dimensions, or if it was Case specific.

I do remember doing awesome wheelies on it though, with the tiller on and doing great donuts on wet grass when mowing.

What can I say, I was 10

• JBRamsey said thank you

#3 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted December 17, 2014 - 06:46 AM

I found a 444 for sale. Decent shape. I know nothing about them, but it think they are cool. I have a Suburban, Simplicity Landlord, 185 Deere and a few David Bradley's.

My question: can I use the plows I have for my Suburban with the 444? I know Sears is unique and it's not a Cat 0. Will I need to start looking for Case specific attachments? What do I need to look for on this tractor? Long term I want to build a front end loader for it but initially I just want to hang a push blade on the front and use it to plow my garden.

If it doesn't have a sleeve hitch they usually go for around 150 used, tho you may need to add shipping.  You could drag a plow but to run a tiller you'd need to install a hydraulic pto.  They usually run a couple hundred and you may have to search for a bit but they are around.  A tiller would run 300-up in decent shape.

As for front attachments it would depend on the year.  Early tractors were tan/red and the real early ones had propietary attachments.  After 71 or so they went to "snap fast" which will fit all years of case/ingersoll front/mid attachments.

I would start by asking what fluid he put in the hydraulic tank.  It is supposed to be motor oil, not hydraulic fluid, so that can indicate maintenance.  15 or 20 weight is spec.  Check the strength of the drive, it is all hydraulic and can get expensive and messy to fix.  A few pumps and valves in the system, they run a couple hundred apiece and some are hard to access.  Good news is all replacement parts are still available from Ingersoll dealers.

As for adding a loader it has been done but most Case guys would say keep the 444 for heavy gardening and find a 600 series factory built loader with heavier front end, reduction steering, heavy frame, etc.  good luck

#4 york0060 OFFLINE  

york0060

• Contributor
  • Member No: 748
  • 275 Thanks
  • 141 posts

Posted December 17, 2014 - 09:32 AM

I use the Suberban attachments behind my JD 318, i just had to make some extensions to  move the 3 pt attachment area wider. they seem to work just fine. I have a plow and cultivator.

Attached Thumbnails

• pin4.jpg
  • pin5.jpg
  • pin3.jpg
  • pin8.jpg

#5 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 972 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted December 17, 2014 - 12:08 PM

Based on the serial number, it's an early model--69, 70 or 71--9635902.  The pic looks like it has a three point hitch. Thanks for the feedback.

00q0q_Er2dde2cNn_600x450.jpg