49 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 04:49 PM

When I had my topic/story going about trucks a few months ago, some guys chimed in saying they wanted a mid sized truck, not a 50k diesel, and the options are limited.

Just in case anyone is interested

http://www.autocarhq...-engine-rumors/

Possible 2016 or 17 Ford Ranger.  Reg cab to 4 door cab!

I am super excited about this.  Not that I will run out and buy one, but Rangers have been the BEST trucks I have owned. 

• Alc, hamman, tinbender7 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 05:27 PM

I had a '95 Ranger and we really enjoyed that truck.  It was a lease at the time and to this day I wish I had bought it out right.

• Cvans said thank you

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 05:35 PM

New Colorado is Truck of the year and has all that here now.  A little Diesel is coming later if you like those. Not sure that will "Pull like a train" as noted in the Ford ad!   Problem with these mid-size truck is the price isn't much cheaper than a Full-size and then is limited to lighter loads and smaller interiors. Never cared much for small in trucks I have owned. Have had some cheapy S-10's in past, one with long box even and didn't keep long. Anything in a Crew Cab style now days has little bitty boxes on t hem to fit in your garage!  Big deal! 

• Cvans said thank you

#4 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 05:47 PM

According to a friend of mine who just retired from GM, they will be offering a 6 cylinder Duramax with a Allison transmission in the Colorado and Canyon in the near future. They are still testing it. Will be interesting to see this. I can imagine the pulling power it has as well as torque. I was at the gas station the other day and saw a Jeep Liberty with a diesel in it. Never knew that. If they still made a small pickup with a diesel in it they would sell a lot of them.

Roger.

• propane1 said thank you

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 05:53 PM

My mother said if I can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all. But I'm gonna try.

I work for a construction company based out of St. Paul, MN. Where Ford Rangers used to be made. One of the many reasons .......

Okay, try again.

We have two former Ford plant employees working with us, and I know two others personally. With the last redesign of the Ford Ranger being all the way back ....

Darnnit.

We have the contract to clean up the former Ford Ranger plant site. The amount of .............

Strike 3. I'm out.

• Gtractor, hamman, tractorgarden and 3 others have said thanks

#6 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 06:22 PM

Maybe I can help Cat a little with this  .   The original Henry objects were designed for the little farmer , the common working man , the average everyday person  .

In the last hundred years , windows have gotten bigger to chuck things out of .

#7 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 07:14 PM

Maybe I can help Cat a little with this  .   The original Henry objects were designed for the little farmer , the common working man , the average everyday person  .

In the last hundred years , windows have gotten bigger to chuck things out of .

Actually, I was leaning towards the economics of the backside, not the frontside. Bruce Laumeister would agree completely, imho.

#8 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 08:29 PM

GM, Ford, or Chrysler, it's nice that there are people out there buying their products and keeping people employed. I think we are going to see more small diesels coming from the manufacturers. It's the easiest way to jack up their mileage numbers. Just wish they could do it without increasing the price by 30%. My other gripe is not having a standard transmission available. :mad2:   

Edited by Cvans, December 16, 2014 - 08:30 PM.

#9 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 09:11 PM

I went and looked at one of those new Colorado's and was not impressed !!!  I want a small truck to bop around town in and move my stuff from here to there, The truck I looked at was huge, I walked rite by it two or three times thinking it was a Silverado.  why must they make these trucks so GD big.  if I wanted a big truck I would go buy a big truck.  and furthermore that ford is possibly the ugliest thing I have ever seen.  who are these engineers designing these things ??  Looks like something my nefew draw with a crayon.  would look good with a soccer mom and her two kids riding around town.  wonder what the men are going to use ??

OK sorry, I am done.  I really don't like where the new trucks and cars are going, they are getting bigger and beefier every year and they wonder why they cant get the mileage up to where the European models are.  Make them small and economical and the average guy will buy it.  I have had Honda's from the mid 80's that were easier to work on and more economical than the new crap.  probably better for the environment as well.

Pete

• Alc and propane1 have said thanks

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 09:18 PM

Auto makers say the Deisels and manuals no longer sell well and they need to have a certain volume of sales to make it a viable option to carry.  Diesel isn't that cheap anymore, and you have to do the Urea and many filter thing with them now days, that costs more. Myself don't mind a BIG truck with a 4spd as in old days, but really not a fan of shifting constantly with 5 or more speeds like most vehicles seem to have in them now days. GM and X-ler had their trans plant for the big 5spd together, cause was only way to have the trans be cost effective for both company's.  NOW, orders were low and they closed that pland and both quit offering one. Even the Fords have foreign made manuals in some of their offers last few years, not sure they have now.

ON that Dura-max Six, not sure they would put it in the smaller truck?? It is Still a BIG engine, have seen them in past. I work in big truck plant and we had some setting around about 4 yrs ago. Then the big crash and bancrupt and was put back on shelf. Talking now about bringing it back again, but nothing happening at our plant about it. Idea was to have a Diesel in a half-ton and not the 3/4 or bigger it takes now for bigger engine.

#11 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 09:26 PM

I went and looked at one of those new Colorado's and was not impressed !!! I want a small truck to bop around town in and move my stuff from here to there, The truck I looked at was huge, I walked rite by it two or three times thinking it was a Silverado. why must they make these trucks so GD big. if I wanted a big truck I would go buy a big truck. and furthermore that ford is possibly the ugliest thing I have ever seen. who are these engineers designing these things ?? Looks like something my nefew draw with a crayon. would look good with a soccer mom and her two kids riding around town. wonder what the men are going to use ??
OK sorry, I am done. I really don't like where the new trucks and cars are going, they are getting bigger and beefier every year and they wonder why they cant get the mileage up to where the European models are. Make them small and economical and the average guy will buy it. I have had Honda's from the mid 80's that were easier to work on and more economical than the new crap. probably better for the environment as well.
Pete

I agree completely. Did not like a single thing about the new Colorado. It's a Silverado made "slightly" smaller. If I wanted to spend that much coin I'd buy a full size.

I refuse to buy domestics but if this new Ranger is anything like my old ones then I'll have one in my garage in 5 or more years. I want the tacoma to hit 400k.

#12 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 09:30 PM

New Colorado is Truck of the year and has all that here now. A little Diesel is coming later if you like those. Not sure that will "Pull like a train" as noted in the Ford ad! Problem with these mid-size truck is the price isn't much cheaper than a Full-size and then is limited to lighter loads and smaller interiors. Never cared much for small in trucks I have owned. Have had some cheapy S-10's in past, one with long box even and didn't keep long. Anything in a Crew Cab style now days has little bitty boxes on t hem to fit in your garage! Big deal!

How much did chevy pay for truck of the year?

They are in a class of 3 trucks. Frontier tacoma and colorado.

Last review I read pitted them all together. The colorado won because it drove like a car and was faster by 2 tenths of a second zero to 60.

the tacoma hasn't been redesigned since 2005. A 10 year old design is almost as good as Chevy's latest greatest wow. Brag to your mom about that one and she will pat you head and give you a cookie.
  • petrj6 said thank you

#13 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 09:58 PM

My mother said if I can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all. But I'm gonna try.

I work for a construction company based out of St. Paul, MN. Where Ford Rangers used to be made. One of the many reasons .......

Okay, try again.

We have two former Ford plant employees working with us, and I know two others personally. With the last redesign of the Ford Ranger being all the way back ....

Darnnit.

We have the contract to clean up the former Ford Ranger plant site. The amount of .............

Strike 3. I'm out.

When I squash you in my Ranger, you will concede that it managed that feat as cleanly and nicely as any other off brand truck you might be referring to.

Ben W.

#14 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 10:03 PM

When I squash you in my Ranger, you will concede that it managed that feat as cleanly and nicely as any other off brand truck you might be referring to.

Ben W.

My post was not meant to imply I dislike the Ranger. Quite the opposite. My problem is with the company that built it, shut that plant down, pulled up stakes and headed for greener pastures.
  • superaben said thank you

#15 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 10:06 PM

My post was not meant to imply I dislike the Ranger. Quite the opposite. My problem is with the company that built it, shut that plant down, pulled up stakes and headed for greener pastures.

And in that I actually do agree with you.  Ford is not the all-American brand anymore, and I concede that. 

At least they didn't get bailed out. 

Ben W.