• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#31 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted December 18, 2014 - 09:19 PM

That it is. Thanks for all the wheel horse info. Just picked up a 854 horse to work on next
  • jerseyhawg / glenn and TwoEagles have said thanks

#32 jerseyhawg / glenn ONLINE  

jerseyhawg / glenn
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62978
  • 232 Thanks
  • 133 posts

Posted December 18, 2014 - 10:24 PM

here ya go, banter,  [/size]Good-humored,[/size] [/size]playful,[/size] [/size]or[/size] [/size]teasing[/size] [/size]conversation [/size]
 so you have 5 thats great any old ones, do they all run, any you need info on,
youll find lots of info and help  here at gts, any pic would vary much to see them, 
 need any history on any of them,

TwoEagles

Two Eagles. For you. They all run but the 500 special.

Glenn
20141102_125839.jpg 20140927_114642.jpg 20131209_151041 (2).jpg 20141125_145940.jpg 20140406_162702.jpg
  • TwoEagles and Simpleton have said thanks

#33 jerseyhawg / glenn ONLINE  

jerseyhawg / glenn
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 232 Thanks
  • 133 posts

Posted December 18, 2014 - 10:31 PM

hey Glenn, do you own a 1968 special 500,does it have the orig,h60 221cc tecumseh h60 engine with a recoil start or was it changed for the kohler 6hp electric start, some differant wheel horse dealers did that back then , because Wh,only offered the 500 special with h60 tecum recoil start, motors ,dealers did this to give their costomers the added advantage of a elect starter option,  does it have the orig 4 speed unidrive 1 r 3 forword they are nice machines

Yes sir. Thats me. I started a thread and never got far. The tractor had a garbage engine thats in the dump. I have been searching for a recoil start H60 Tecumseh for it. I understand the "dealers" msde changes. Probably to market and sell it. This is my winter project. It does have the original trans. The motor is the most important key to me. Anyway. I enjoy your knowledge and glad we converse.
  • TwoEagles said thank you

#34 jerseyhawg / glenn ONLINE  

jerseyhawg / glenn
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 232 Thanks
  • 133 posts

Posted December 18, 2014 - 10:34 PM

Sorry fellas. Did a double post.
If a mod can clean this up and delete one for me. Thanks

Glenn
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#35 TwoEagles OFFLINE  

TwoEagles
  • Member No: 64404
  • 33 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted December 19, 2014 - 09:21 AM

i have a friend in ny whos a collector i think he may have that vary motor  ill see. if he does i know he will let it go vary cheap , just because thats the kind of person he is, ill check see if he still has it,,

nice pics ,nice machines , good stuff. 

• jerseyhawg / glenn said thank you

#36 TwoEagles OFFLINE  

TwoEagles
  • 33 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted December 19, 2014 - 12:12 PM

jabel man the wheel horse you just got ,was one of the earlier full scale whs for 1964 had 3 decks option, a 32, 36,  or 42  by offering, had a standerd pond unidrive belt to gear 4 speed 1 R 3 F, had a kohler 8 hp motor again some times swaped out buy the wh dealer, for the kohler 10 hp to give the costomer more options,  but the kolher 8 hp k181S 390 cc  was standered issuein 64

Edited by TwoEagles, December 19, 2014 - 12:20 PM.

• jerseyhawg / glenn said thank you

#37 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted December 19, 2014 - 04:09 PM

I would like to track some attachments for the 854 eventually also need a sleeve hitch
My old man wasnt happy with the new home cheapo john deere. So i picked up a great c85 for him to mow with

#38 jerseyhawg / glenn ONLINE  

jerseyhawg / glenn
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 232 Thanks
  • 133 posts

Posted December 19, 2014 - 04:19 PM

I would like to track some attachments for the 854 eventually also need a sleeve hitch
My old man wasnt happy with the new home cheapo john deere. So i picked up a great c85 for him to mow with

A very capable machine, I have a deck and have been searching for a short frame plow for it. I myself dont need any other attachments. You might come across a snowblower to. Cant wait to hear your comments as you go. Best of luck.

Glenn. Btw,,,just noticed. Another jersey guy.

Edited by jerseyhawg / glenn, December 19, 2014 - 04:20 PM.

#39 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted December 19, 2014 - 04:35 PM

Once i finish tracking the parts down i will start a post for the 854 and the david bradley i also started redoing. And eventually my grandfathers is going to be redone along with my wifes grandfathers case 220 - be kinda cool to do those 2 together.
  • jerseyhawg / glenn and TwoEagles have said thanks

#40 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted December 19, 2014 - 05:49 PM

There was a book written about WH history. I believe it was written by an author named Martino(sp?). Anyway,do you think that book is factual as far as it goes?

• Texas Deere and Horse and TwoEagles have said thanks

#41 TwoEagles OFFLINE  

TwoEagles
  • 33 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted December 19, 2014 - 07:23 PM

hey jableman i know wheres 3 snow blowers sitting last i heard the guy wants 100 for all three i i saw them when i was there didnt look bad at all ill find out if he still has them he is another wh collector up by seneca ny, ill do some calling if he still has them ill give you his number and email sos you can talk to him 1on1

Edited by TwoEagles, December 19, 2014 - 08:08 PM.

#42 TwoEagles OFFLINE  

TwoEagles
  • 33 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted December 19, 2014 - 07:41 PM

lillysdad , heres how i feel about that i never red his book but ill make it a point to do so ,  like any other book im sure its factual to a degree as any book is ,there were a few books writen on the history,of Wheel horse and the Ponds  as all if you put them side by side youll see that they are 50% alike andt The facts are the same as known by all,  they differ in there story telling of the facts they know as they are thefacts as the auther see them, i dont know all the facts i didnt personaly know the people  i was just a kid ,so i have to relie on things ive been told by family as fact as seen by them, but i can tell you this much ive learned more about the actual wheel horse tractor from out side the family from people such as ( red wild hogs horses & deers ) and such people, and most books only tell you the major facts and seem to skip over the little known ones, such as this -  did you know that the, wheel horse tractor  has the longest run of being a small tractor ,than any other  of its kind any where  from being a two wheeler  by the ponds  till  they actually built there first 4 wheeled tractor out of junk in their gruage,until it was sold to Amf ,none of the books tell you that  none of the books tell you the inter mingling and inter facing of ideas  that the ponds had in there designing of the four wheeled tractors in the later years, these are the hard to find and forgotten facts, the facts that make the wheel horse tractor,and machines a part of american industry history, 

Edited by TwoEagles, December 19, 2014 - 08:12 PM.

• LilysDad said thank you

#43 TwoEagles OFFLINE  

TwoEagles
  • 33 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted December 22, 2014 - 12:12 PM

again i did not read the book ,STRIGHT FROM THE HORSES MOUTH   byMartin A  Martino  as of  yet, and i do know of Cecil Ponds forwarding the book but as Cecil told The people at these geathering  for the little tractors., Cecil told every one as he signed their  books for them,,  that all the history was not  in the book yet ,only the major things, there was a lot more to be written ,. but that was never to come about, i have personally been to these such gatherings and talked with Cecil befor he died,

heres a little more info that people might want to know and i was asked about , the idea for the small tractors did not originate witth the ponds alone , in stead it started with the Shaw tractor co,  they made mid sized tractors ." Elmer Pond ,Harold Pond and Glenn Hielman, worked for shaw for many a year . befor going out on their own with the idea to make a small yard tractor as the shaw co wanted to make mid sized and larger tractors only, Glenn Hielmans tractor was the  Garden Master,    Harold Ponds tractor was the Speedx model b, Elmer pond and his son Cecils  was to become the Wheel Horse  after a while after  the walkaway and the ride away these 3 worked togeather and did swap ideas of the making small yard style mower tractors,and incorperated outside ideas that were offered to them.                

Edited by TwoEagles, December 22, 2014 - 01:40 PM.

#44 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted December 22, 2014 - 05:59 PM

Not starting a flame war or anything, but there are folks who think Bolens started the small GT. Do you have some kind of tractor time line?

#45 TwoEagles OFFLINE  

TwoEagles
  • 33 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted December 22, 2014 - 08:19 PM

your righ t :thumbs:  the Bolens did make the first 4 weeeled self structered  G T it started as the Gilson bolens mfg co, then when gilson sold out to bolens, bolens went on to make the first  first 4 weeeled self structered  G T,i think it was around 1915 to the 1920s thru the late 1930s   there abouts.actually i think it was the first in the world  to be made like that a small  gt.

Edited by TwoEagles, December 22, 2014 - 08:40 PM.