• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 01:43 PM

TwoEagles, I'm going to make all of your posts it's own thread and call it, Wheel Horse History in honor of you.

• olcowhand said thank you

#17 TwoEagles OFFLINE  

TwoEagles
  • Member No: 64404
  • 33 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted December 18, 2014 - 12:53 PM

ok here we go, back in the day ,one of the biggest if not the biggest at that time was the Lauson motor not to be mixed up with the lawson engine used on  mcs, but was used by WH , the lauson co was bought buy a compressor co. by the name of Tecumseh  products inc, then the motor was called the tecumseh- lauson  later just the Tecumseh motor- by a established part of tecumseh products called tecumseh power products,-,tecumesh power products as tecumseh compressor products ,were from TECUMSEH MICH befor they moved the motor part tecumech power products,---Tecumseh products was named after Tecumesh Mish witch was named after,-  Grate panther in the sky, - Chief  Tecumseh- of the People of th South Winds- Indians- The Shawnesse- or as we say the Shawnee.  Chief Tecumesh ,was my great, great, grand father, thus my name -wings of the morning sky-  Chief TwoEagles,- east of the river Shawnee.

as time went on the wheel horse co ,also started using the kohler , and even tried a industrial motor made by wisconson , used on walk behind tractors for some companeys , should you find a wh 4 wheeled tractor with a wisconson in it it could be oring, a special ,and thats one of the money machines i was talking about

Edited by TwoEagles, December 18, 2014 - 12:55 PM.

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#18 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 18, 2014 - 01:31 PM

TwoEagles, Now that what I'm wanting to hear about. THANK YOU for sharing this info about your family. Do you have any documentation or photos of any of the engines and things your family worked on. I think if you do, we can put together a very interesting Article for here and get the information out to the public. Thanks Again friend !!

• olcowhand, KennyP, jerseyhawg / glenn and 1 other said thanks

#19 TwoEagles OFFLINE  

TwoEagles
  • 33 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted December 18, 2014 - 02:51 PM

sorry to say i dont,  as any letters and content were absorbed by the brittian familys witch in thoes days were a big industrail name tied in with the Eaton faimly  owner of s of eaton mfg makers of axels of all kinds, Eaton tractor and eatom lift trucks and eaton equiptment cyris eaton was a pritty big mogel at the time so were the brittians   and the Hurlbuts of witch im am the adoped son, between the three they had maney intrests in the farming ,tractors large and small , they had vested concerns in the farming and yard industries, and had holdings in most all motors made for that industry large and small untill the depression came witch wiped out both the brittians and hurlbuts, Eaton made it thru with out to much damage done to him or his companys, and became even larger and world wide industry,    as the adoped son to this i was not privee to any of the papers and writtin paper work as a lot af it was donated  to the large libearys and museums in ohio and Mish, and also a lot was done on the sly with only word of mouth and a hand shake, in thoes days your word and a firm hand shake was the deal and a bond , as were such deals done with wh ,tecum, ponds, lawsons,and indian mcs, and other larger corps,  so alls  i was left with was the hearsays and the memories and a hairatage that i really wasnt suspossed to have any part of  as a adoped member ofthe family, but i still know what i know ,and a lot of the behind the seans things that whent on or the backroom deals as they were called,

but now as i grow older alot is starting to fade in to the past, as if they arent talked about and refreshed form time to time ,memeriores as all else just fade away and forgotten with time  

Edited by TwoEagles, December 18, 2014 - 03:26 PM.

• olcowhand and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#20 jerseyhawg / glenn ONLINE  

jerseyhawg / glenn
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62978
  • 224 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted December 18, 2014 - 04:33 PM

Texas deere and 2 eagles. I really enjoyed the banter between you pros.
I am virtually a wheel horse newbie.

Glenn
  • Texas Deere and Horse and TwoEagles have said thanks

#21 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 18, 2014 - 04:58 PM

We're not bantering back and forth, we're just getting all the info we can out for the folks that may not know about the Wheel Horse history. It's all good info that we both are sharing. 

• olcowhand and jerseyhawg / glenn have said thanks

#22 TwoEagles OFFLINE  

TwoEagles
  • 33 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted December 18, 2014 - 05:10 PM

Hi there  :wave: im kinda a newbie my self, if theres i can help you with, i will, im knda of a historin on small tractors , :reading_the_manual:  you know a master in my mind only, 

Texas deere sure seems to knows alot about the subject i know right up front hes done his home work on these thing ,he really fills in things that i leave out or have forgotton , the intrese in this stuff is what i really like and i believe Texas deere is like that also,

what kind of tractor do you have?

Edited by TwoEagles, December 18, 2014 - 05:12 PM.

• olcowhand and jerseyhawg / glenn have said thanks

#23 TwoEagles OFFLINE  

TwoEagles
  • 33 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted December 18, 2014 - 05:39 PM

heres the problem when you go back in time on thes small tractors there was so much involvement on these machines by unkown people and small investors that they get lost th the name it self such as wheel horse , other than the ponds their selfes there were other people with ideas that they  inorperated in to their owne ideas and then into there product witch was the wheel horse tractor, ,as the company grew there were out side intrests that financed them and invested in them,  werent really big enough to pull this off by their selfs as big as they were thay almost lost it all by trying to grow to big to fast in a post war era  but were bailed out by other family members and outside intreste the first actual 4 wheel tractor really set the hall mark for witch the wheel horse co would head into the future after dropping the 2 wheeled version,

and Texas deere and i dont banter we share info  fill in history spots and correct mistakes info that may be wrongly put out there as i did a bit back there that he cought it and he was right, thats not banter thats sharing at its best , again welcomed to the forum :wave:  

Edited by TwoEagles, December 18, 2014 - 05:43 PM.

• olcowhand and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#24 TwoEagles OFFLINE  

TwoEagles
  • 33 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted December 18, 2014 - 06:00 PM

heres a little history did anyone know that back when Wheel horse was being sold that it was offered to the Kohler engine co, and they turned it down, witch later they kicked them selfes all over for screwing that one up,

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#25 jerseyhawg / glenn ONLINE  

jerseyhawg / glenn
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 224 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted December 18, 2014 - 07:59 PM

We're not bantering back and forth, we're just getting all the info we can out for the folks that may not know about the Wheel Horse history. It's all good info that we both are sharing.

I must have used the wrong word /phrase. As I thought banter was just conversation between folks. Ummmmmm, I better look that up.

Glenn

#26 jerseyhawg / glenn ONLINE  

jerseyhawg / glenn
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 224 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted December 18, 2014 - 08:03 PM

Hi there  :wave: im kinda a newbie my self, if theres i can help you with, i will, im knda of a historin on small tractors , :reading_the_manual:  you know a master in my mind only, 

Texas deere sure seems to knows alot about the subject i know right up front hes done his home work on these thing ,he really fills in things that i leave out or have forgotton , the intrese in this stuff is what i really like and i believe Texas deere is like that also,
what kind of tractor do you have?

I own 5 wheel horse tractors. Somehow I fell into this wonderfull hobby recently. I enjoy it the best. Wheel horse is my brand. Great, real built machines. And to think they do what I need done to. A bonus.

GLENN
  • Texas Deere and Horse and GlenPettit have said thanks

#27 TwoEagles OFFLINE  

TwoEagles
  • 33 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted December 18, 2014 - 08:41 PM

here ya go, banter,  Good-humored, playful, or teasing conversation 

so you have 5 thats great any old ones, do they all run, any you need info on,

youll find lots of info and help  here at gts, any pic would vary much to see them, 

need any history on any of them,

TwoEagles

#28 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted December 18, 2014 - 08:59 PM

I am sort of partial to them too. I logged thousands of hours cutting my grandparents lawn. I still remember going to the dealer with them and getting a free hat that was 30 some years ago. Still have the tractor and the hat.

Edited by jabelman, December 18, 2014 - 09:00 PM.

#29 TwoEagles OFFLINE  

TwoEagles
  • 33 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted December 18, 2014 - 09:02 PM

hey Glenn, do you own a 1968 special 500,does it have the orig,h60 221cc tecumseh h60 engine with a recoil start or was it changed for the kohler 6hp electric start, some differant wheel horse dealers did that back then , because Wh,only offered the 500 special with h60 tecum recoil start, motors ,dealers did this to give their costomers the added advantage of a elect starter option,  does it have the orig 4 speed unidrive 1 r 3 forword they are nice machines 

• jerseyhawg / glenn said thank you

#30 TwoEagles OFFLINE  

TwoEagles
  • 33 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted December 18, 2014 - 09:14 PM

jabel man is that a copar in you pic