• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 TwoEagles OFFLINE  

TwoEagles
  • Member No: 64404
  • 33 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 10:00 PM

and now my 2 cents on restored price, they are the worst of all,some one gets an older gt for 100 or so  then does what they call a restrre on it  and then wants thousands for it , because its old and now nice and so called restored , big rip off dont be fooled been there done that also  bought a old restored WH for big bucks only to find out it was not worth half of what i paid for it, to be worth any thing really they have to be a special to begin with of the first single digit number in a series  line or first or vary last made of its kind , witch there a lot of them out there a lot more than any one would ever think i find them all over the place, these are the money machines, and any can find them if they look for them, an they arent hard to restore at all even smashed up and in real junk condishion, they can be saved and restored for not much at all , it just depends where you get the parts for it from  and dont beafraid to dicker with them for it  most of the time if you dont buy it it will just sit there and rot away, and remind them of that  after all i have never seen lines of people lined up makings offers for what i wanted, and ive delt with pickers , people on ebay  ,forums, out side auctions , the whole deal, you name it been there done that,  ill never buy a restored item again untill i know its actual worth, every one watches tv then gets the idea that they can run out  get some thing,old for cheap fix it up, only to find out what they have isnt worth any thing  but now they have to sell it big to some sucker just to get the money they back they poored into it , and usually they dont get their price and end up with it or taking a big loss just to get rid of it and they wil never do that again,so please be aware of what your really getting, how much its really worth , series , maker dates models ,the should all line up , if not the its not a actual restore its a make over , not a restore, and dont buy from so called pickers  they sell the real junk junk,waiting to pray an some one, as i said ive been down these roads too many times befor, ,and learned a lot , just never learned how to spell and type right,  any info that i have is yours for free just ask and il be happy to try and help you along your way, dont be fooled do some home work befor you get involved in restorations,

• Texas Deere and Horse and Genem have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 09:01 AM

Two Eagles, Welcome to GTtalk. I'm not sure where you are getting your model info for the Wheel Horses you own. But I highly doubt you own any "Raider" model tractor built before 1968 as that was the first year Wheel Horse introduced the Named series. If you can share some ID tag info and maybe some photos, I will help identify what you have. Sounds like some very nice tractors you have there.
  • Bolens 1000, rustyoldjunk and TwoEagles have said thanks

#3 TwoEagles OFFLINE  

TwoEagles
  • 33 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 01:31 PM

of course your right,  sorry about the mistaken infothe raiders did not come out till the mid 67 they were called 68s they were the raider 8s ,witch i just sold , the raiders 9s witch i have 2 of came out in 68 for 1 year and in late 69 became the raider 10 same machine with some slight changes but then changed to raider 10 , as i said i get a little ahead of my self from time to time  thanks for calling that to my attention,  as far as the named series goes wh did use names way back ill find the names for you raiders were not the first names used-,ill get some pics of my machines for you these were the raiders i owned and  still own- ,the 8   12 and 14 are sold and in service- as i said ill get some pic in my next listing  

Raider 8 8 hp   1968 - 1978 Raider 9 10 hp 42" deck 1968 Raider 10 10 hp   1970 - 1975 Raider 12 12 hp   1968 - 1978 Raider 14 14 hp
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 01:57 PM

Not to knit pick, but just so we have the correct info for anyone who might read this. The Raider, Charger, Electro and GT-14 where produced from 1968 thru 1972. In 1973 WH started calling all the model either 10HP thru 18HP Automatics or 8 Speeds while keeping a few of the Ranger, Commando and Raider models in the line up. In 1974 WH went to the A, B, C and D Series tractors while still having a Ranger and 2 Raider models. In 1975 All WH tractor were using the A thru D model designation. I hope that helps with anyone who was wondering what they might have.

• rustyoldjunk said thank you

#5 TwoEagles OFFLINE  

TwoEagles
  • 33 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 02:14 PM

hey great stuff and thanks for that info also in late 54 - 59 they made a rideaway with a pond drive and in 59 they also made a surburban and in late 61 they made a lawn ranger that came out in 62, and other named models that really never be came public, also i get my info from family sorces as they had a lot of concerns tied up in wheel horse and amf and farmall,way back then, i must say youve done your home work and i think thats so great,

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 02:23 PM

Thanks TwoEagles, I've been around WH products since Dad got our first one in 1968 a 1967 model "1257". WH was the brand tractor I ever owned when I got out on my own and still have it and mow with it every week or so. It's a Auto 14, 1973 model. I have had over 50 WH's over the years.

• ACB112Guy and TwoEagles have said thanks

#7 TwoEagles OFFLINE  

TwoEagles
  • 33 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 03:29 PM

wow thats really great, i never had that many but ive had my share about 28,  my reliitves  help design the wheel horse tractor style  back in the early 60 , then they also helped design the sears suburbans and the amf small tractor witch at that time looked vary much like the sears tractor  they also had a hand in the international cub low boy, and some of the first small tractors for farmall-  witch some of the later 60s modle wheel horses  look alot like mostly hoods and front ends , i my self prefer the suburans by sears as they are larger heaver and alot stronger than the wheel horse and actually have a better dual shift trans but wh out built the sears and remained more popular at that time  but nothings is as heavy or pulls harder or can out preform my 1978 massey ferguson 1450 14 hp, its a beast with its 2 speed infinate drive, not even my newer husqvarna, 25 hp tractor  can out preform it il get some pics posted tonight , i hve to go out to feed my peacocks andthat takes a while--  later guys--and thanks

Edited by TwoEagles, December 15, 2014 - 05:35 PM.

#8 TwoEagles OFFLINE  

TwoEagles
  • 33 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 04:12 PM

http://i61.tinypic.com/2e194id.jpg my raider 10
http://i58.tinypic.com/uopib.jpg my raider 9
http://i61.tinypic.com/dwb9dd.jpg raider 9 again
http://i60.tinypic.com/71sf21.jpg my massey
http://i57.tinypic.com/2568juw.jpg my suburban 16 hp
http://i62.tinypic.com/2i87ogl.jpg my suburban 14 hp
http://i57.tinypic.com/25fm5og.jpg - my massey14 hp- black one is a Q pro huskavarna 25 hp and my little gray craftsman 18 hp, --- the raider 9 and 10 are in fix up mode getting ready for sanding and paint
http://i61.tinypic.com/zn8p08.jpg this is what the gtses look like when i get them

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by MH81, December 27, 2014 - 07:35 PM.

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 09:23 PM

I take it you must be related to the Pond family since they did all their own design work right up until Cecil sold the Co. to AMC in 1974. I would be very interested in any information you might have or know as I find it all very interesting to say the least. Thanks.. :thumbs: 

• TwoEagles said thank you

#10 TwoEagles OFFLINE  

TwoEagles
  • 33 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 11:20 PM

ok hears the little i remember about that , mr cicel pond started the co in his garuage, he made the two wheeled walk behind tractor  ,even called the walkaway tractor, im not quite sure just when his son got involved,  but the son started the four wheeled tractor ,the ride away, later changed to wheel horse, but it was of a hoodless design and the axel was stright,, , and were sold as so , later a designer from my family offered up a hood and front end designe to the ponds  witch the son took and  incorperated it into the wheel hores designe as his own, i dont know if there was money exchanged or not that was never talked about thru the years,  the frame and trans drive were of the sons origonal design called the pond drive the motors were tecumseh lauson engines   , this all ocured befor american motors bought them,    the person who offered the hood and front design was a engineer for a larger tractor co, moline i belive  and did small tractor designing on the side , there were other small tractors he helped with on the side also  but thats neither or there, you must remember that this all took place while there was a war going on , an i was a baby at the time born in 1946  so the things i know wrer over heard thru the years or told to me directly as i asked about it later in life  but for years my family kepy in contact with the ponds and kinda of followed there progress  untill amc bought them, then it all seemed to fall apart and contact was no longer made   

Edited by TwoEagles, December 15, 2014 - 11:22 PM.

#11 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 11:40 PM

Great info, but let me offer a little to fill in the holes for you, if you don't mind. Elmer Pond was the Dad who started building the 2 wheel tractors on his own with the help of his son Cecil. Elmer got started by assembling Speedex 2 wheel and 4 wheel tractors for his brother "Harold", who had designed and developed the Speedex line. Elmer was fed up with how the parts fit together and all the problems his customers had with the Speedex tractors, so he decided to build his own line and called them the Pond Tractor. Later on, Harold got into a court battle with Elmer over using the Pond name and that's when Elmer and Cecil decided to call their tractors "Wheel Horse". That's about all I can add to what you have shared with us. Glad to have you here and offering up some great info from the early years of Wheel Horse. THANK so Much !! :thumbs:

#12 TwoEagles OFFLINE  

TwoEagles
  • 33 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 11:53 PM

this is great stuff ,heres a little more i know  i know what  about the speedx saga as i worked for speed x they were built right here in ravenna untill they went belly up and your right on all counts , heres a little question for you one of the engines most all small tractors used back then were what,? they were named after my great great grand father,

Edited by TwoEagles, December 15, 2014 - 11:56 PM.

#13 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,723 Thanks
  • 4,283 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 10:18 AM

this is great stuff ,heres a little more i know  i know what  about the speedx saga as i worked for speed x they were built right here in ravenna untill they went belly up and your right on all counts , heres a little question for you one of the engines most all small tractors used back then were what,? they were named after my great great grand father,

Welcome to the forum, I think all the engines used in the early years were Briggs and Stratton. Another little tidbit of info, Harold and Elmer both got their start in the tractor business working for Shaw in Galesburg Kansas. There was also a brother inlaw (Heilman?) tht went on to buld the Garden-all tractors in Liberty IN.

• Texas Deere and Horse and TwoEagles have said thanks

#14 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 01:41 PM

Welcome to the forum, I think all the engines used in the early years were Briggs and Stratton. Another little tidbit of info, Harold and Elmer both got their start in the tractor business working for Shaw in Galesburg Kansas. There was also a brother inlaw (Heilman?) tht went on to buld the Garden-all tractors in Liberty IN.

Thanks Doug, I forgot to mention that, had all but forgotten it.

#15 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 01:42 PM

As far as I know they used Lauson, Clinton and Briggs & Stratton engines in the early years. There maybe one that I have forgotten about.