• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,733 Thanks
  • 2,920 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 10:52 AM

Has helped me so much with my first rebuild. Most of us don't have extra tractor funds to go & buy a bin full of parts at one time. I made a list of what I would need as the build progressed in that order. It has been so nice when that part was needed to go to my bin & simply unwrap then install. First check with our vendors on here, craigslist, ebay etc long before you need it.
  • NUTNDUN, Bolens 1000, tinbender7 and 8 others have said thanks

#2 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

AfterShock95
  • Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 11:16 AM

That's a good idea no more wating for parts
  • tinbender7 and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,274 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 11:16 AM

Very good info Jim. It is hard to come up with the lump of cash needed sometimes when rebuilding or restoring a tractor.

• Sawdust and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#4 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,546 Thanks
  • 2,550 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 11:29 AM

Funny, Craig and I were just talking about this on Sunday night. I told him I wanted to start buying the little odds and ends now, and start stocking the shelves for when the time comes to start restoring. Then I sat down and started adding up the money required to have everything ready for all 11 tractors. With tires, paint, nut's & bolts, decals, etc, I think the final number was right around $3,285.00. Too much to be putting out all at one time, so I think I'll just buy a little at a time each week and go from there. The Parts guy won't be real happy with me ordering/buying two or three of the same part, each week, for about four weeks in a row, but he is supposed to make me, the customer, happy and satisfied. :smilewink:   

• Texas Deere and Horse, tinbender7, GlenPettit and 2 others have said thanks

#5 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,733 Thanks
  • 5,091 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 12:50 PM

Good idea Jim.

My restore projects take so long....buying parts as I need them isn't an issued :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:

• tinbender7, Sawdust and Dayton_King have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 10,350 Thanks
  • 7,838 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 01:55 PM

The other side of the coin is that I've bought ahead and then not needed the part. This has applied to cars, trucks, tractors and the house. I have a bunch of new old stock parts that I bought from Whitney 30 years ago for my Datsun. I can't bring myself to throw them out(I keep hoping to find someone with one). I've probably lost 200 sf in my basement to spare parts and another 500sf to spare lumber. Just be carefull or you will fill up your shop like I did. Good Luck, Rick

• tinbender7 and Genem have said thanks

#7 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,546 Thanks
  • 2,550 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 04:33 PM

The other side of the coin is that I've bought ahead and then not needed the part. This has applied to cars, trucks, tractors and the house. I have a bunch of new old stock parts that I bought from Whitney 30 years ago for my Datsun. I can't bring myself to throw them out(I keep hoping to find someone with one). I've probably lost 200 sf in my basement to spare parts and another 500sf to spare lumber. Just be carefull or you will fill up your shop like I did. Good Luck, Rick

Or better yet, you buy parts and put them away for safe keeping, forget that you have them, then find them years later after the tractor is completely restored! 

• boyscout862, pigsitter, superaben and 2 others have said thanks

#8 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,733 Thanks
  • 2,920 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 06:06 PM

If you have been following my MTD 990 rebuild you'll know I lost some wire that I will need soon. I bought it back in the summer & I can't find it anywhere. I have my other stuff I bought with it but no wire :wallbanging:  I'm sure after I go buy more I'll find it later. It won't be too bad I can always use wire for the other tractor's.

• Bob IN said thank you

#9 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 13,248 Thanks
  • 17,421 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 06:20 PM

I usually start stocking parts for a restoration about a year in advance on stuff I know will need to be replaced once I choose which tractor I'm going to restore..... If you buy a little at a time its not too bad,set of tires one week, engine parts another, paint mixed up, decals  and before you know it you have almost everything you need.

That way your not waiting 2 weeks for a part that's holding up re-assembly on a restoration or shelling out $3 grand at a time

• superaben and Sawdust have said thanks

#10 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,763 Thanks
  • 1,464 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 07:36 PM

I had been doing the same thing, sort of. Try to get the machine in usable condition. You will discover what needs to be replaced/fixed, then keep and eye out for those parts. Been collecting parts for over a year for the Ford LGT195. Still using the machine as necessary. Someday I will take it apart for a complete restoration.  

• Sawdust said thank you

#11 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,752 Thanks
  • 1,723 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 09:09 PM

Sometimes you have to pick up parts when they are available and really have no choice as to when to buy them. Restoring an old heap like I'm working on now has become a huge undertaking and a big challenge at times. It seems like when I come across a part I need and put off buying it, I end up missing the boat later on when I can't find the part at all. I don't have deep pockets, so some things just have to wait. Luckily I have the critical parts now and most of what's left is is about 500 or so gallons of elbow grease.
I guess what I'm saying is that if the parts are common, you have a choice as to when the best time is to buy parts. If what you are restoring is less common and the parts are NLA, keep a few bucks stashed for when those parts turn up.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#12 MountainBuzzMan OFFLINE  

MountainBuzzMan
  • Member No: 69923
  • 75 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted May 01, 2015 - 07:07 AM

The other nice advantage about spreading the parts purchases out is it turns into noise on the monthly credit card bill.  The wife won't clue in you spent $1,500 on a restore.   But yea, I have created a good bit of NOS myself that way. 

• Sawdust said thank you

#13 grattone OFFLINE  

grattone
  • Member No: 66237
  • 290 Thanks
  • 208 posts

Posted May 01, 2015 - 07:21 AM

I LIKE IT,  I are new at this restore thing. While reading these replies, Everyone has a different approach and all are still a little confused BUT I didn't read anyone say they were giving up. I think I'll say confused and try to enjoy it. 

Gratton

#14 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,642 Thanks
  • 1,063 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 08:15 AM

If the price is right otherwise I buy as needed.  It is much easier to buy parts than doing the actual work on a project. Many times I have seen project cars where the owner has given up on a vehicle needing a total frame off, no work done but the chrome peep mirrors and thousands of dollars of other parts on the shelf. The "project manager" needs to be aware of their abilities/ambition.

• classic said thank you