• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cpg OFFLINE  

cpg
  • Member No: 57994
  • 244 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 08:05 AM

I have a Massey Ferguson 12 hydro that I am just starting the restoration on. It is a total basket case pulled from a field so it will probably be a long project but I have always loved the look of the Masseys and my hope is to have a good original restoration as it will just be a show and parade tractor. Does anyone know where to get aftermarket chrome hubcaps for these tractors? I know the original Massey covers with the emblem are probably about impossible to find so even a pair of basic aftermarkets would be good; just not sure if anyone actually does reproduce them. If not I will just go with the silver painted wheels. Thanks for any help.

Here is what I am starting with. It also came with a Massey 10 shell that I am using as a sheet metal donor.

2014-06-08 19.28.54.jpg

Edited by cpg, December 16, 2014 - 08:09 AM.

• limebuzz, MH81, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 09:31 AM

http://gardentractor...y-moon-hubcaps/

• Jacksdad and cpg have said thanks

#3 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 09:45 AM

FYI, some the sheet metal will not swap. The steps and various other parts are different between the two. You can switch that nice aluminum dash cowl which will be a nice upgrade for the 12.

Too bad you are so far away, I have a much nicer 12 that I would sell you for cheap and its complete.

Edited by tweidman, December 16, 2014 - 10:21 AM.

• Sawdust and cpg have said thanks

#4 cpg OFFLINE  

cpg
  • 244 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 09:56 AM

Thanks. I think the only things I will swap are the seat (actual seat as the seat pan I believe is different with the hydro 12), the hood and grill which I test fitted and they work, and probably the nicer dash. I have been keeping an eye out for a nicer Massey to use mine as a parts donor but they are tricky to find and either too far away or sell before I can get to them.

#5 cpg OFFLINE  

cpg
  • 244 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 10:11 AM

Thanks for the link; I missed it on my search. I will look into some of those things mentioned.

#6 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 10:21 AM

Massey hubcaps are rare but I've seen them on ebay a few times...very pricey. Run a regular search while your restoring. Keep us posted.

#7 cpg OFFLINE  

cpg
  • 244 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 10:52 AM

It will be a long project so I am keeping an eye out for something; hopefully affordable. Right now I just have it sitting in the workshop ready to be torn down the rest of the way and sanded. Once I start making some progress I will be sure to start a restoration thread.

• Sawdust said thank you

#8 MFGray OFFLINE  

MFGray

• Member No: 154
  • 129 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted December 17, 2014 - 12:27 AM

In one of the early sales brochures posted in the Manuals section, the first Massey 10s and 12s are shown with plain hubcaps without the MF emblem.

• Sawdust said thank you

#9 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • Member No: 40
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted December 22, 2014 - 12:07 AM

I've had luck looking up the Cub Cadet part number for the 3000 series plain chrome hubcaps. They were used on the 40th anniversary edition I believe. The front caps are NLA but the rear caps are still available, and spendy. I can't remember the part number but you can look at parts lists on their website. The front caps are easier to find since they were commonly used on older golf carts. There are many golf cart accessory sites that should have them. As far as the logo goes, I don't think any make had them until the late 60s. I have a 1966 Cub Cadet accessory book that shows a tractor with hubcaps without the IH logo.

You could always get measurements and have nice decals made and place them on the center of the caps. I think most people would not notice unless you pointed it out. Good luck.

• Sawdust said thank you

#10 cpg OFFLINE  

cpg
  • 244 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted December 22, 2014 - 08:42 AM

Another question I just realized is I don't have rims; what size are the rear rims for these tractors? Started looking up replacement GT rims and I know they are 12's just wondering if they are the 12x7 rims? I am assuming that is the size I need for running 23x8.50-12 tires. Also, would I be able to get a set of narrower tri-ribs to fit my current rims with 16x6.50-8 tires? The front tires are shot and I would like to put bar tires and tri-ribs on it as I think they look really cool that way for shows.

Edited by cpg, December 22, 2014 - 08:44 AM.

#11 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted December 22, 2014 - 09:29 AM

The rims should be 12x7 unless it came with narrow tires. I think the offset is the same as what John Deere and Jacobsen used since the transmissions were similar.

#12 mac102004 ONLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1420
  • 225 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 01:35 AM

Original MF hubcaps are hard to come by and $$$$. I have a full set for the 10/12/14/16 and the front pair for a 7/8. I think I paid more for them then my 10 and 2 12's put together.....if you need any measurements or pictures I can help you out.

• RAJ, limebuzz, MH81 and 1 other said thanks

#13 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 10:22 AM

I'd like pictures and measurements posted if you have time. I mentioned this idea to a decal guy a while back and he had some good ideas on how to make it look right.