Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

How To Remove The Grass Screen On A Kohler K301 In A Cub Cadet 123?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 10:23 PM

I don't think this is the original engine that came in this tractor. How do you remove the screen? Mine is loose. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_3478.jpgpic.jpg

#2 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 495 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 11:22 PM

You need to either take the engine or drive shaft out then take the cup with the pulley off and its held onto the back of it by 4 little screws.   If your that far in to take the screen out you might want to look closely at the pin in that end of the drive shaft and if its worn at all replace it.  Its a hardend solid piece instead of a roll pin.  Hope this helps   

Stewart

• Alc and Gabriel have said thanks

#3 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 10:24 AM

You need to either take the engine or drive shaft out then take the cup with the pulley off and its held onto the back of it by 4 little screws.   If your that far in to take the screen out you might want to look closely at the pin in that end of the drive shaft and if its worn at all replace it.  Its a hardend solid piece instead of a roll pin.  Hope this helps   

Stewart

These screws? I broke one off trying to tighten it (I think it was too long and that's why it wouldn't go in any farther).

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_3478.jpg8.jpg

Edited by Gabriel, December 16, 2014 - 10:26 AM.

#4 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 495 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 12:43 PM

Those 4 bolts hold the end of the drive shaft.  The 4 that hold the screen are on the back side and can't be seen unless the cup and screen are removed.  They're 8-32 I believe and take a 1/4 inch wrench to remove them.  There's either a bolt or nut holding the cup onto the end of the crankshaft and then it comes off as 1 piece.                   Stewart 

• Gabriel said thank you

#5 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 04:00 PM

I'm not trying to be smart here, but why do you want to remove it?  It looks to be in good shape.  Without it that thing is going to suck all sorts of bigger debris up into the fins and it will run hotter than it should.  The pulley should have a nut on it under the drive for the hydrostat pump.  Once that nut is off be careful with the pulley as it is only aluminum and there is a locating pin that is part of it that sticks into the flywheel.  I have had them snap off in the flywheel before.  The 4 bolts for the drive flange are 1/4" about 3/4" long.

Edited by IHCubGuy, December 16, 2014 - 04:02 PM.

• Gabriel said thank you

#6 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 10:49 PM

I'm not trying to be smart here, but why do you want to remove it?  It looks to be in good shape.  Without it that thing is going to suck all sorts of bigger debris up into the fins and it will run hotter than it should.  The pulley should have a nut on it under the drive for the hydrostat pump.  Once that nut is off be careful with the pulley as it is only aluminum and there is a locating pin that is part of it that sticks into the flywheel.  I have had them snap off in the flywheel before.  The 4 bolts for the drive flange are 1/4" about 3/4" long.

I need to remove it because it is loose and hits the flywheel shroud. I want to see what needs to be done to fix it, then I will put it back on.

Edited by Gabriel, December 16, 2014 - 10:52 PM.

• IHCubGuy said thank you

#7 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 10:52 PM

Do you mean the pulley that bolts to the flywheel?

#8 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 10:54 PM

Reread your post. Now I understand. Thanks.

#9 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted December 17, 2014 - 12:08 AM

I need to remove it because it is loose and hits the flywheel shroud. I want to see what needs to be done to fix it, then I will put it back on.

Now I understand the logic.

That pulley doesn't bolt to the flywheel.  The nut on the end of the crankshaft hold it and the flywheel on.

• Gabriel said thank you

#10 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted December 17, 2014 - 10:31 AM

That pulley doesn't bolt to the flywheel.  The nut on the end of the crankshaft hold it and the flywheel on.

Thanks. Now I understand.