UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 02:28 PM

I went to walmart to look for a pair of compression gloves for the arthritis in my thumbs. I wasn't going to waste money on a pair online only to have them be worthless. The only pair they had had a chart on the box to see what size you wore. My hand was bigger than the whole box. I couldn't even get my fingers in them let alone my whole hand.

I wound up with a pair of fingerless motorcycle gloves. They look funny but they work to keep my hands warmer and still let me use my fingers. .

Wonder when I can try a pair of compression gloves in mansized? Has anyone ever used them?

Edited by UncleWillie, December 15, 2014 - 02:29 PM.

• hamman, boyscout862 and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#2 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 02:42 PM

My Father-n-law swears on Copper hands Gloves..he has pretty big hands...

• FrozenInTime said thank you

#3 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 03:05 PM

All the reviews I have read on them say they fall apart pretty fast. Maybe if you have arthritis you are supposed to sit quietly

• FrozenInTime and Auburn David have said thanks

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,624 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 03:31 PM

Be careful not to get your compression ratio too high or you won't run on the low octane stuff [coffee] any more.  You'll have to run premium [190 proof]  :rolling:   :poke:

• HDWildBill and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#5 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,645 Thanks
  • 1,059 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 03:49 PM

I think them china men that make those charts have small hands or should I say child labor.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 03:57 PM

Willie, from what I found online, I'd say we'd go through a pair every couple days when we're hard at it.  

#7 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,892 Thanks
  • 2,794 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 04:15 PM

I would think that not a cure, but for all around comfort would be heated gloves again depends on what your doing.

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 04:40 PM

I've always found it difficult to almost impossible to work with gloves on.  I've watched other guys working on cars and bikes with Mechanics glove but when I use them I don't like losing some of the feeling of touch.

• Jack, KC9KAS, dodge trucker and 4 others have said thanks

#9 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 04:41 PM

Never heard of compression gloves, BUT, I DO use the weight lifting gloves at walmart, fingerless and have a hefty padding in the palms for driving Fork Truck. They have two kinds. One has a wrist strap to snug around wrist, don't care for them, usually cut that strap off and that doesn't work well.  the other has a velcro closure strap you can pull over as you wish, real short, they are much better. BUT, again, I can use large and still be fairly tight, and really like the Extra large to get on/off easier, have to remove many times during a night. SO,  maybe they won't fit you either?  The heavy palm pads wear pretty good as I turn the steering wheel all night and pivot it in my palm as I turn. Left one wears out then first, but takes awhile, several weeks.  I have seen HD Biker gloves in the stores but they get big $$ for not so nice construction and don't look like they would be any better. I pay $9.99 for the Wally World ones.

• Alc, HDWildBill, FrozenInTime and 1 other said thanks

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 04:46 PM

I have never liked the Mechanic's gloves to work in either, not sure how those people can use those. Can't feel and must be hard to put on small fasteners and such. PLUS, the things I handle dirty would crap up a pair in two hours would think and soak in maybe? Who wants to spread the gunk onto other things and tools you work with? I'm not afraid to have blackened hands in daily life, I just tell people I'm a Mechanic and that ends it! Ha! Besides have now found those Citrus and other odd "flavored" hand cleaners really work well when cleaning up. AND, the parts cleaner and Laquer thinner for the Mean stuff!

• HDWildBill, dodge trucker, FrozenInTime and 1 other said thanks

#11 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 05:54 PM

I use Mechanix gloves when I am working but I do have to take them off an awful lot for small bolts and stuff. And I have gotten caught in an engine before and couldn't get my hand back out. I only wear them to keep my hands movable when it is cold out.
  • HDWildBill, FrozenInTime and Auburn David have said thanks

#12 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 07:19 PM

I've always found it difficult to almost impossible to work with gloves on.  I've watched other guys working on cars and bikes with Mechanics glove but when I use them I don't like losing some of the feeling of touch.

:iagree:

#13 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 07:24 PM

Never heard of compression gloves, BUT, I DO use the weight lifting gloves at walmart, fingerless and have a hefty padding in the palms for driving Fork Truck. They have two kinds. One has a wrist strap to snug around wrist, don't care for them, usually cut that strap off and that doesn't work well.  the other has a velcro closure strap you can pull over as you wish, real short, they are much better. BUT, again, I can use large and still be fairly tight, and really like the Extra large to get on/off easier, have to remove many times during a night. SO,  maybe they won't fit you either?  The heavy palm pads wear pretty good as I turn the steering wheel all night and pivot it in my palm as I turn. Left one wears out then first, but takes awhile, several weeks.  I have seen HD Biker gloves in the stores but they get big $$ for not so nice construction and don't look like they would be any better. I pay $9.99 for the Wally World ones.

Just because they have the HD logo doesn't make then any better and in a lot of cases they are not nearly as good as the other brand.

• UncleWillie, FrozenInTime and Bill 76 have said thanks

#14 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 09:30 PM

Me too I have a hard time wearing gloves trying to pick things up & handle small items. My son works at Amazon & he wears these gloves. I got me some & they work great. I can pick up a coin, start a nut on a bolt etc. There material handling gloves. They won't protect from real cold weather but they work great when its not too cold out. 

http://www.ebay.com/...=item234690fabb

Edited by Sawdust, December 15, 2014 - 09:31 PM.

• Alc and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#15 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 10:44 PM

we have med supply shops around here, where you can see and touch items like gloves, braces and etc. you should have  something similar there?