81 replies to this topic

#31 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 08:40 PM

I want to quit dipping in a bad way. Moreso for money than health. Such an expensive habit.
  • trowel, Chopperhed and zippy1 have said thanks

#32 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,239 Thanks
  • 5,076 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 08:44 PM

I work with an older fellow. He was a 2 pack a day smoker for 40+ years. One day he was speaking to an ex-smoker who gave him the name of a pill that he took to quit. My co-worker went to his doctor & got a script. Doc said to take them for a month. Fellow took one the next morning & was violently ill for two weeks. Hasn't craved a butt since that day. Even the smell makes him nauseous. If you are interested, send me a PM & I'll give you the name of the pill.

If it is the same pill I know of it is not good. I know two people you have taken it and had horrible side effects. More mental than physical
  • trowel, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and Chopperhed have said thanks

#33 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 08:45 PM

I work with an older fellow.  He was a 2 pack a day smoker for 40+ years.  One day he was speaking to an ex-smoker who gave him the name of a pill that he took to quit.  My co-worker went to his doctor & got a script.  Doc said to take them for a month.  Fellow took one the next morning & was violently ill for two weeks.  Hasn't craved a butt since that day.  Even the smell makes him nauseous.  If you are interested, send me a PM & I'll give you the name of the pill.

I greatly appreciate the offer, I can not afford to miss work and besides, as long as I am working it is not strong.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner and Chopperhed have said thanks

#34 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,847 Thanks
  • 3,191 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 08:56 PM

We had a friend who was both an alcoholic and a chain smoker. He went to AA and managed to get off the booze, but had to try and quit the smokes by himself, there is no support network for smokers. Said the tobacco addiction was much harder than the drink, but he did finally just go cold turkey and beat it. Now he drinks more coffee than Willie, but he is sober and can breath again, lol.
  • GTTinkerer, trowel, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#35 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 09:20 PM

Just keep telling yourself  "I can do it"  and you will. I quit in 1986 and am glad I did. 

Good luck to you!

• trowel, oldedeeres and Chopperhed have said thanks

#36 cootertom OFFLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 717 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 09:44 PM

Let's figure this out, @ $3.50 per pack times 2 packs a day times 365 days=$2555=a lot of G.T's          :wallbanging:

• trowel, oldedeeres and Chopperhed have said thanks

#37 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,875 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 10:02 PM

I have 14 smoke free months under my belt and I feel way better I did it with the patch it took about 6 weeks I was soon forgetting to put on a new patch on and that's when I realized I did not need them anymore, you can do it to .

Edited by HANKG, December 14, 2014 - 10:06 PM.

• Alc, trowel and oldedeeres have said thanks

#38 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 01:34 AM

Man I wish you all the luck in the world to get yourself rid of the smokes.

I quit about 28 years ago and substituted the smoke for chew :wallbanging:  done some dumb things in my life, and that one ranks right up there. The chew is a bi@#$ to stop. I'm going to be what's known as a looser, because it's a loosing battle for me. Tried a number of times, and I become one angry, cranky S.O.B. THERE IS NOTHING out there to help us dippers quit. But the worst part is I enjoy it, no one knows I'm doing it, and it keeps me functioning. When I tried quitting I couldn't function at all, and constantly eating something.

Someone told me about hypnoses. He was a two pack a day smoker when he went to be hypnotized, still has two packs in his glove box to this day, and has no craving what so ever. And that's been better than five years ago. :thumbs:  sorry about the blah, blah, blah. 

But again, good luck.....pulling for you.

• MH81, trowel and oldedeeres have said thanks

#39 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,268 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 05:02 AM

Let's figure this out, @ $3.50 per pack times 2 packs a day times 365 days=$2555=a lot of G.T's          :wallbanging:

Where the heck can you get smokes for $3.50?
Up here in PensylTaxia, the smokers are paying for all sorts of stuff.
When I quit, the cheap ones were about $5. I think they are $5.30 now
  • GTTinkerer and trowel have said thanks

#40 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 05:04 AM

Move to Saskatchewan...smokes are $18 a pack.  Get some of the smoking cessation aids,,nicorette gum. Buy $100 worth of the stuff and consume it voraciously if needed.. Up here the cigarette packs all have gross pictures on them of cancerous mouths,,warnings of IMPOTENCE!!!!!!  Google smoking side effects,,,that's big fun... I saw a kid toss a gift from his grandma on the ground...it had been left in her car,,she being a smoker and the kid tossed it and said "EW! It stinks like grandma!"  Boy was she embarrassed. I only have 2 friends who smoke and both are on their last legs so quitting is not worth the aggravation for them or their families...

GOOD LUCK

Edited by Jazz, December 15, 2014 - 04:36 PM.

• Alc, trowel and oldedeeres have said thanks

#41 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 07:21 AM

For the past several weeks I have dedicated at least two days out of the week to smoke only few, for each passing week I keep reducing and fighting. I intend this week to be the one, plan on going cold turkey on or after Wendsday.

I am quitting for me.

The cold turkey method seems to work for some folks but you may need a bigger lighter to get that turkey lit! Jesse, you impress me as a strong willed person. That should be a big help to kick this addiction to the curb.

• trowel and oldedeeres have said thanks

#42 cpg OFFLINE  

cpg
  • Member No: 57994
  • 244 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 08:35 AM

I agree with the every time you would buy a pack just keep a tally and add it up. I had a friend who quit and was talking to me about it and looking for motivation at the time; together we figured out that if he quit smoking he could save enough each month to make the payment on the fishing boat he wanted. He hasn't hardly smoked since then and he actually said that when he got a craving he just thought about the savings and went to the dealer every now and then to look at the boat again as a reminder. Definitely good to set a goal to stay focused on!

Edited by cpg, December 15, 2014 - 08:36 AM.

• trowel and oldedeeres have said thanks

#43 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,239 Thanks
  • 5,076 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 10:02 AM

I would of been happy to pay 3.50 a pack, mostly paid 4.75 to 5.50 a pack!!  Thats even more saved in a year.

• trowel said thank you

#44 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 10:29 AM

Rooting and praying for you, Jesse.
  • trowel said thank you

#45 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 09:08 PM

You can do this, Trowel, like so many others rooting you on have already said. I smoked 35 years unfortunately and when I quit on my 50th birthday (8 years and 10 days ago) it wasn't for my health, I'm afraid. I got mad that the state was adding a dollar per pack tax to the price and I refused to give those crooks more money than they already dig out of my wallet! I bought a bag of Jack Links jerky and that's what got me easily off the smokes. Still probably eat too much jerky but even at today's meat prices it is still much much cheaper than smoking.

DAC

• MH81, Alc, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks