• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• Member No: 5067
  • 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 01:36 PM

I got the tires off the rims yesterday. I spent several hours cleaning the rust and crud off the rims. Now it's time for some touch up paint. The rims are the standard Case off white but I don't know the part number. I'd like to find a couple spray cans if at all possible. Does anyone know if the white is available by the individual spray can, and if so who carries it. So far I've only found 1 place (online) that carries it, and they only sell it by the case.

#17 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,319 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 09:25 AM

I cant help you with the color, but I recommend Rustoleum paint. It last longer and covers better than anything else I have tried 

#18 mrmd OFFLINE  

mrmd
  • Member No: 62285
  • 207 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 10:33 AM

My local farm store carries a "Van Sickle" brand of paint in most all ag colors. I,'ve used J I Case power white on several projects.

#19 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,319 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 11:17 AM

My local farm store carries a "Van Sickle" brand of paint in most all ag colors. I,'ve used J I Case power white on several projects.

I have used the van sickle stuff, the spray bomb stuff is kinda hit and miss. They are sometimes thin and run like crazy or so thick they plug up. (yes I do shake them good). The bulk paint is cheap but needs a clear coat or it will fade in a few years.

#20 oliver2655 OFFLINE  

oliver2655
  • Member No: 26808
  • 37 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 12:56 AM

i agree with some sort of ag tire on the back of it. always offers a nice look and traction when you need it! :thumbs: but for the front tires, i personally am a fan of the 5 rib tires as i think they will have less wear and tear on the lawn. i like the way they look over the 3 rib tires. they are also cheaper than the 3 rib tires and came in 6 ply so hopefully they will last forever. we got ours from miller tire.

Edited by oliver2655, January 02, 2015 - 12:59 AM.

#21 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 09:15 PM

I got the rear tires today. Carlisle 23X8.50X12 Tru Power ag treads. Contrary to popular belief they were $75.00 each plus 5.5% sales tax. No additional taxes or "fees".

I had to order the Firestone 3 rib front tires from Miller tires online. They were actually slightly more expensive at $70.00 each plus $28.50 shipping. Hopefully the new tires will last as long as the originals and I won't need any more tires for another 34 years. I wonder what the price will be when I'm closing in on my 100th anniversary. Then again maybe I won't have to worry about it.

Edited by projectnut, January 02, 2015 - 09:16 PM.

#22 Rick OFFLINE  

Rick

Tractorholic

• Member No: 344
  • 15 Thanks
  • 168 posts

Posted January 06, 2015 - 12:23 PM

I had those firestone tri-rib tires from miller tire on my john deere 140. The first set wheather cracked after 8 months so they sent me another set. This set did the same thing but it took 5 months so I went with a 5 rib tire from carlyle. I will never buy anything from miller tire again

#23 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 12:39 PM

I had those firestone tri-rib tires from miller tire on my john deere 140. The first set wheather cracked after 8 months so they sent me another set. This set did the same thing but it took 5 months so I went with a 5 rib tire from carlyle. I will never buy anything from miller tire again

Hopefully my tires will last considerably longer. Everything is setting in the basement waiting for a break in the weather. I cleaned the rims and got the paint. I want to get the rims painted (in the garage) before installing the tires, however the temps haven't gotten much above 0*F for the last week. I'm getting pressed for time because I have to leave town for several weeks in the near future. If I don't get things completed within the next couple weeks everything will have to wait until I get back.

I would have sworn that when I originally looked up the tires on Millers website they said "Made in America". When I got them they clearly say "Made in Vietnam". I went back to the site to verify what I thought I'd seen earlier, but couldn't find anything. I looked at so many different tires I could have made a mistake.

#24 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted March 21, 2015 - 12:32 PM

Well, I finally got the new tires installed this weekend. It took a lot longer than I expected, mainly because life got in the way. The whole project went on hold while we spent a few warm weeks visiting friends in Florida. I expected to get the rims cleaned and painted within a couple days of returning home, but the best laid plans got put on hold while we dealt with other more pressing family matters.

The rims finally got painted and the tires mounted a week ago. This last Thursday we made the trip to the cottage, and mounted them to the tractor. I couldn't believe the difference in handling and traction. With a small foot print on the front tires it handles and steers much quicker and easier. The rear tires grip the turf like glue. There was absolutely no problem climbing the same hill I could barely make it up with the turf tires.

Everything's come together just in time. There are a couple more trees to remove this spring. It should be much easier to haul away the wood than it was last time. If the tires last as long as the old ones I'll be a happy camper
  • KennyP said thank you