• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• Member No: 5067
  • 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 01:33 PM

Well it's finally time for some new shoes for the 224.  I believe the ones on it are the originals.  If so they've lasted over 30 years, but it's finally time to replace them.

SOO, my questions to all you more experienced owners are:

What size, what ply rating, and tread pattern for the front? 

It currently has 6.50 X8 2 ply turf tires.  There's still plenty of tread, but the sidewalls have cracked to the point they no longer hold air very well.  Should I replace them with the same thing, go to a 4 ply turf saver tire, or switch to the tread pattern to a ribbed style like most agricultural tractors?

What size, ply rating and tread pattern for the rear tires?

It currently has 8.50 X 12  2 ply turf saver tires.  The tread on these has worn significantly over the years, but they still hold air.  Should I replace them with the same thing, go to the optional 10.50 X 12 with the same tread pattern, go to a 4 ply version of either, or consider agricultural style traction tires?

The machine gets used primarily to tow a trailer hauling mulch, leaves, fire wood, sand and gravel.  It goes up and down hilly terrain on a regular basis.  However with extended use last fall I've learned to control the wheel spin to a point that I can climb relatively steep hills with heavy loads and not loose traction.  It does occasionally get pressed into mowing duty, but those times are few and far between.

Thanks for your input.

• hamman and tinbender7 have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 02:53 PM

For the activities described, I would look for the three or five rib tire.
  • superaben said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,486 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 03:34 PM

I'm not a fan of front AG's as I see no purpose for them. Like Cat said, a good ribbed tire will work just as well. I would think the wider rears would help in traction because of a wider footprint.

#4 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,114 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 03:45 PM

I would use 3 rib on front, with either 2 or 4 ply tires. If you have front end attachments 4 ply is better. Steering is greatly increased for the better with three rib. No slippage.  For the rear use farm tractor ag tires. Amazing traction. 2 or 4 ply.  2 ply better for traction, 4 better for carrying weight, but may not see any real difference between the two.   Depends on your needs.  Just my opinion, there will be others.  Noel

#5 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,626 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 04:17 PM

I'd put tubes in the fronts and run them another 20 years.  Total costs should be about $15 if you install them yourself.

On the rear I'd get ATV tires.  Cheaper than ags and still offer great flotation and traction.    

• Appalachian and propane1 have said thanks

#6 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 08:43 PM

Thanks for the input and keep it coming. After reviewing the first few responses I did a little research and came up with a couple options for tires.

So far for the rears I'm thinking 23x10.50-12 Carlisle Tru Power 4 ply
I've found several vendors with prices all over the map. The highest has been nearly $200.00 per tire while the lowest has been $100.00 per tire. Let me know what you think as far as this brand and price. If there are other recommendations I'd be glad to hear about them

For the fonts I'm thinking 16x6.50-8 Carlisle Rib 4 ply
The price on these has also been all over the map from a high of $89.00 to a low of $41.00. Again let me know what you think.

Edited by projectnut, December 14, 2014 - 08:43 PM.

#7 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 09:59 PM

I'm running the original tires on my 68 ford.  Air up the rears a couple times a year.  Had to break down and get a tube in one of the fronts this year.  Cost $15 mounted at the local tire shop, they were happy for the business and i was happy not to break my back on a 45 year old bead.  I prefer the original look, good luck

#8 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 01:56 AM

Tru Powers outback and the tri-rib by Firestone up front. They are a great steer tire and don't leave any marks on the lawn and work good with the push blade. Bonus is they steer like a dream. :thumbs:

Not cheap, but should last a lifetime.

#9 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,114 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 06:00 AM

I have Duro ag tires on the rear of mine. Noel.

#10 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 12:41 PM

For the fonts I'm thinking 16x6.50-8 Carlisle Rib 4 ply
The price on these has also been all over the map from a high of $89.00 to a low of $41.00. Again let me know what you think.

Don't know if your prices include shipping but if not, these guys match the $100 price for the rears and do a bit better on the fronts.  Plus they give A LOT of other more affordable options.  Plus they have pretty frequent sales with reduced prices on the tires or on shipping.  I've used them multiple time for auto and L&G tires with no bad experiences.

http://www.tires-eas...cart-tires.html

Edited by Canawler, December 15, 2014 - 12:41 PM.

#11 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 01:21 PM

Don't know if your prices include shipping but if not, these guys match the $100 price for the rears and do a bit better on the fronts.  Plus they give A LOT of other more affordable options.  Plus they have pretty frequent sales with reduced prices on the tires or on shipping.  I've used them multiple time for auto and L&G tires with no bad experiences.

http://www.tires-eas...cart-tires.html

I did a little more price checking this morning and found a local tire dealer that sells Carlisle garden tractor tires. They quoted me a price of $78.00 for the 23 X 8.50 X 12 Tru Power tires in 4 or 6 ply. They also quoted a price of $92.00 for the 23 X 10.50 X 12 Tru Power tires also in 4 or 6 ply.

They recommended the 3 ribbed ag tires on the front for easier steering. I don't know if Carlisle makes ag tires in the 16 x 6.50 x 8 size.

I was all set on the 23 X 10.50 x 12 tires for the rear when I noticed they are meant for a 8.5" wide rim. The 23 X 8.50 X 12 tires are meant for a 7" rim. The tractor is about 100 miles away and I don't remember which size rims it has. I was told I could put the larger tires on the smaller rims but the tread would have more of a crown rather than being straight across.

I would like to use the larger tires because they're the same size as the ones on my JD 445. If the bolt patterns are the same I may consider a set of wheels that will allow me to change them from 1 machine to the other. Somehow a simple attempt to purchase a couple new tires has become complicated.

#12 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 01:46 PM

All season use in Wisconsin involving load bearing duties , not involving turf saving , would need chains I think .  Tire quality would be a lesser factor .

#13 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted December 19, 2014 - 01:17 PM

Another update on the tire situation. I was leaning toward the Carlisle 23x10.50x12 Tru Power tires for the rear. After closer inspection I see it has Goodyear 23x8.5x12 turf saver tires on 7" wide rims. The larger Tru Powers will fit on the rims but leave less than 1/8" clearance between the tire and hydraulic motor. Since that doesn't sound like a good plan I'm going to stick with the 23x8.50x12 Tru Powers.

For the fronts I'm trying to find some Firestone 16x6.5x8 Tri Rib ag tires. So far the only place that I can find them is online at Miller Tires. I'd prefer to find them locally if anyone can match or come close to the price. A local tire dealer is searching the area to see if any are available. Hopefully they will find what I want. If not I'll have to see if anyone else makes a similar tire.

After some intensive research I think the afore mentioned tire combination is best for the type of work this tractor does. It may be a little tough on the lawn if it gets pressed into mowing duties, but since that's only happened a couple times I'm not going to worry about it.

#14 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted December 19, 2014 - 01:29 PM

Check the "add on's" from the local guy. After sales tax, road tax for an off road tire (I never did understand that one) and disposal fee, you will be adding close to $15 a tire that you wont have to pay by buying online. The down side of that is you have to mount the tires yourself or pay to get it done

#15 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted December 19, 2014 - 05:26 PM

In the fabulous I live in   , state, commonwealth , lack of wealth , whatever  - 

They tax you when your sleeping

They tax you when your awake

They tax you when you've been bad

So pay your taxes for goodness sake