12 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,244 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 01:31 PM

When did tennis shoes get so expensive? Went to the shoe store wanted a pair of Nike shoes. Picked up a pair. Tried then on. 125 dollars a pair. No Thanks
  • hamman said thank you

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,343 Thanks
  • 28,648 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 01:43 PM

I buy the Diehard Steel Toe shoes.  They are a nice shoe for the $45 ish.

Saved my tootsies more than a few times too.

The last set I had, the souls kinda loosened quick, but other than that... I have only ever worn them out.  I usually go thru 3 pairs a year, but I hae a pretty active job and play life.

• hamman and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#3 fogler12538 OFFLINE  

fogler12538
  • Member No: 59557
  • 254 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 01:51 PM

I buy steel tip Red Wings. They cost 160.00 , provide great back support and last usually 2 yrs. I am a contractor and definitely give them a good work out. They are well worth the money. I used to buy cheap (45-50 a pair) , my feet always stunk, my back hurt and they would only last 3 months.

Thanks. Jim
  • hamman, tinbender7, dodge trucker and 1 other said thanks

#4 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,244 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 01:52 PM

I pay 212 dollars for my work boots. Metatarsal water proof mine boots are expensive and only last 6 months at the most.

I have a pair of non steel toe rocky boots for home use.

Tennis shoes for going out and relaxing.

II going to check out the shoe dept. They sell surplus or last year's style for cheaper. 40 to 50

Edited by toomanytoys84, December 13, 2014 - 01:53 PM.

• hamman and superaben have said thanks

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 01:56 PM

Costco is a good spot for cheap running shoes. They usually don't have much selection but the price is usually around 20$/pr. 

• hamman and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,670 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 03:18 PM

I only buy boots!  Been getting Wolverines for brand name, yet STILL Chinese made or other odd places. Steel toe each time. I've never been a fan of sneakers, even tho Mama and kids tried to get me into them. Those major brands are way to expensive, and wouldn't last the way I wear them and I like to have my ankles supported more like in a boot. Most major brands that used to be US made are all now going overseas. Think maybe Redwing , but in there more expensive line only might still be made here, but are over $200 most times for those.  Sketchers seem to be well made for casual shoes, not sure if they have sneakers, but probly do.

• HANKG and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#7 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 04:06 PM

That logo on em makes them cost bigs bucks,if you want to style ya gotta pay.I buy the cheapies and my feet are happy.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#8 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,912 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 04:19 PM

Sketchers are pretty well made and comfortable I buy them online and shipping free 59.00 or so
  • toomanytoys84 said thank you

#9 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 05:48 PM

When I was younger my feet did not seem so "picky". Though I have always had to buy the high line work boots if I want even a year out of them; cheap ones I am guaranteed to go thru 3-4 pairs a year.

I have a high arch and hammer toes. Any steel toe boots I try besides Red Wings feel like the "back edge" of the toe cap was made to cut my toes off.  and even at that I have to add the $40-50 for the added insoles or my feet kill me.

Regarding "gym shoes" anything used to do/ from the old Converse canvas to the cheapie Sears that they sold when I was a teen. In High school I liked the Kangarros. and high tops before "AIR Jordans"  now a days the high tops that are still available are so dam stupid looking I would not be caught dead with them.

Buuut ever since I bought my 1st pair of New Balance, I can't wear anything else unless I want my feet to hurt extensively. Not cheap but my feet are important and if they aint happy neither is the rest of me.  and I do hold out for the versions of New Balance (and RWs for work boots) that are made in the USA.

Back in March, I had occasion to make a road trip to Houston. 1st time ever in Texas. We checked out a Western store (I forget the name they had a chain of like 13 stores in the Houston area) and I noticed they had some "Justin" Work boots. Most Justins are pull over cowboy boots that I'd ever seen before this, but I found a pair of 8" lace up work boots with steel toes. USA made too! and a few bucks cheaper than my normal "stand by" RW's.  I tried them on and man I could not believe how comfortable they were. so I bought them.  I dont like the Pinocchio-pointy toes, never been a fan of that style boot. and the steel cap is actually in the point, barely any protection on my big toe and none on my smaller 3. but they are comfortable. 

I worked for years in places that required steel toes, I would usually buy a pair of non steel toe workboots for home. Then when I got hurt and was outta work for a while I still bought RWs but I bought non steel ones. Where I work now I am not required to but they'd "like" us to.  My current RWs which I wear about 90% of the time are non steel. the Justins are steel but may as well "not" be.

I have yet to find a pair of Sketchers that don't hurt my feet.  I used to wear Nike but can't any more. Sometimes that label does mean something.

My last pair of steel toes when I was at the steel mill (they required metatarsals too which I HATED)  I spent $180-some on a pair of "thorogood"   I wore them about 4 hours and was back at my locker by lunch time to retrieve my old RW's.   Those Thorogoods killed my feet bad.  (they had felt fine walking around the carpeted floor of the shoe store) I got hurt shortly later (like a month-6 weeks) and my steel mill days were done. I got by on 2 old worn out duct taped pairs of RW's as I had just spent my yearly allowance and then some on those Thorogood boots, so I had to wait a bit before I could swing it and buy another pair of RW's/ 

Of course I didn't know then, what was going to happen to me in that coming 4-6 weeks.....

Those Thorogoods sat in my work locker for a year before the FMLA act did me in, and I was done with that job.  When I went to clean out my locker I tried to give those Thorogoods to at least 3-4 guys that claimed to wear my size and none could wear those. I wound up throwing $180-something into the garbage.

• toomanytoys84 and fogler12538 have said thanks

#10 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 07:09 PM

I've learned that once you know what shoes you like, you can get absolutely perfect deals online.  I like my Caroline work boots, I've burned up three pairs now since I started on them (about one pair a year, but they are long gone by the time I retire them) and they have treated me well. However, I think the price I would pay locally was about twice what I paid online even on a non-sale day.

Ben W.

• dodge trucker and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#11 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 07:10 PM

Now I'm going to feel like a woman since I responded to a thread about shoes... gee...

Ben W.

• dodge trucker and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#12 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,244 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 07:55 PM

I ended up with no new shoes.

I've went through three pair of new balance shoes in the last 6 months.  My little toe is at an odd angle or something and it chews a hole right through the side.  Both of my shoes, look like new minus a hole I can put my thumb through, Or my little toe.

I guess I'll keep looking, maybe I should just stick with my Rocky boots.  I bought those boots with my first pay check from the mine in 2003.  They have never been used for anything but "going to town".  They aren't work boots but my going to town boots.

I just hate wearing boots all the time because I wear heavy boots all day, then I put on my tennis shoes and I feel like I'm walking on air.

• superaben and dodge trucker have said thanks

#13 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 03:38 PM

I just hate wearing boots all the time because I wear heavy boots all day, then I put on my tennis shoes and I feel like I'm walking on air.

I hear you on that.  I really look forward to when I can swap into loafin' shoes after working all day, but my problem is I don't usually get to do that until 12-14 hours after I first put them on!

Ben W.