Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 10:06 AM

Anyone see this?

http://arstechnica.c...dows-7-updates/

One of this week's Patch Tuesday updates for Windows 7 has been withdrawn after some users discovered that it blocked installation of software containing digital signatures, including first- and third-party software, and even other Windows updates.

The problem update is called KB3004394. The purpose of this update was to change how Windows updates its collection of root certificates used to authenticate SSL and TLS connections. Without the update, Windows is meant to poll for certificate updates once a week. With the update, this frequency is increased to once a day.

Unfortunately, this apparently simple change has had severe consequences for some users of Windows 7 Service Pack 1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1, with users reporting that Windows Update, drivers from both Nvidia and AMD, and some third-party software including Virtual Box are all unable to install correctly. The error code 0x8004FF91 seems to be a common finding.

Microsoft has issued a second update to remove the bad update from affected machines and has withdrawn the original update for Windows 7. However, the company continues to offer, and recommend, the patch for Windows 8, 8.1, Windows Server 2012, and 2012 R2.

This withdrawn update is the latest of several updates that Redmond has pulled this year. The certificate update isn't the only patch from this Tuesday that was withdrawn; an Exchange 2013 update was also withdrawn temporarily after problems were discovered by end users. The Exchange patch has now been updated and reissued. It's unclear how widespread the certificate problem—or any of the previous problems that have caused patches to be reissued—really is, but there's nonetheless a growing sense among many Windows users that patches are less reliable, and more frequently withdrawn, than they used to be. This concern is compounded by Microsoft's decision to lay off many dedicated software testers earlier in the year.

With Windows Update so important to keeping Windows users secure, a loss of confidence would be very bad news. But if this kind of problem continues, that seems like an inevitable outcome. While IT departments might be able to test updates in a lab before deploying them, providing some protection against faulty fixes, home users have no such luxury. Users have to have confidence that installing an update won't break their machine. Broken, withdrawn updates shake that confidence.

Edited by Trav1s, December 13, 2014 - 10:07 AM.

• KennyP, HDWildBill, TomLGT195 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 10:19 AM

Perhaps this is the source of my 5 failed installs on mom's toshiba laptop last week.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,526 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 10:27 AM

Thanks for sharing the info!

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 10:43 AM

Clear indicator of a problem with Quality control. Thanks for sharing.

#5 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 03:55 PM

Sad when this happens on a workhorse like 7 and only increases my dislike of M$.

#6 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted December 22, 2014 - 12:41 PM

So I broke out the same machine this week and rebuilt it for the 6th time.  Wiped the drive, let Windows recreate partitions as needed, and reinstalled Win7 with all updates.  I found a nifty tool that allowed me to extract the original OEM code from the old drive and use it to activate Windows since the sticker on the bottom is unreadable.  Installed the rest of the software and sent it back to my parents. The patch/update problem is fixed but still was a huge headache.

• KennyP said thank you

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,526 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted December 22, 2014 - 12:53 PM

Glad you got it fixed again!

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted December 22, 2014 - 01:15 PM

M$ put out another patch to remove the first patch.  All you really needed to do it dl the new patch and run it to remove the errant patch. I like Infoworlds take on this.

No doubt about it: Microsoft has the all-time best Windows malware delivery system.

I ran into this on the new puter I got.  Talking with others about this I have come to the conclusion that it is better to set the windows update to just notify you when there are updates available and then wait 3 -5 days before you install them.  That way the patches can be tested and a fix in place if there is a problem. I have read in a couple of articles that M$ has down sized their Quality Control department and it shows. 

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,170 Thanks
  • 4,515 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 03:07 PM

Sad when this happens on a workhorse like 7 and only increases my dislike of M$.

7 a Workhorse ? ? ?   More like a sick donkey to me !@!

#10 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 07:34 PM

That's why I switched to Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon running for a bought 2 months and love it. I decide what to up date or not or get rid of.