13 replies to this topic

#1 stanz OFFLINE  

stanz
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 64272
  • 73 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 12:10 AM

Years ago I had a collection of garden tractors from most makes but I got rid of them all due to back issues.  Well, the back is fixed and I needed a Bolens tube frame. I repaired my BIL's 850 a couple years ago and tilled my garden as payment. I purchase a tiller a few weeks ago for $100 and searched craigslist for a tractor and snow blower.  I found a blower for $100 and a 1220 for $150 and purchased them both the same day. (They were within 15 minutes of each other.)

The guy I bought it from didn't know much about it because it belonged to his BIL who had passed away. After a little coaxing the Tecumseh started right up. It smokes a bit but I hope that clears up with some Sea foam running through it for a while.

My big issue is getting the tractor moving. I put it into what I thought was reverse and the motor started to lug and it didn't move. I tried first, second, and third with the same results. I then put it into what feels like neutral and it moves forward!

The posi-traction knob is disengaged and the pin on the right side is out.  Logic tells me that it shouldn't move at all, but it does.  I'm going to do the end-play adjustment tomorrow if it's warm enough.

I'd REALLY like to get this thing running before the next snowstorm. I'm planning to use it at the church I take care of.  I'm getting tired of pushing snow blowers around.

Any help would be appreciated.

tnx,

Stan in MA

Attached Thumbnails

• 1220.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,533 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 07:55 AM

Welcome to GTT. There are a bunch of very knowledgeable Bolens people here. Give them some time and they will offer advice. In the mean time you can check out our Manuals Section. You are allowed 3 free downloads per day. There is an excellant(and large) Tube Frame Repair Manual and there are engine manuals in their own section.

At this time of the year, I become concerned about water/ice in the transaxles. As long as its not frozen, you can drain the water from the bottom. Good Luck, Rick

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,413 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 08:03 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! I hope it's not too much of a challenge to get this moving again!

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 08:11 AM

Welcome!

Judhing by the way that shifter is leaning in the photo I think your shift forks poped out of place and need to be reset. Right now the gears are probably binding and trying to go 2 gears at once.

If the tractor still moves with the pin out most likely the hub has rusted together.

• stanz said thank you

#5 stanz OFFLINE  

stanz
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 73 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 12:02 PM

The shift forks idea sounds about right. I'm warming up with a fresh cup of coffee before going out to open it up.

I printed out the 100 page "Medium Tube Frame Tractors" Service and Repair Manual.

#6 stanz OFFLINE  

stanz
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 73 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 03:54 PM

Problem solved! :dancingbanana:

I opened the transmission, looked in, and said to myself "Shouldn't there be gear oil in there?"  I drove to Napa, picked up three quarts of gear oil, Sea Foam, and a new spark plug.

I drained the tranny and only 20 oz. came out, even with the front of the tractor elevated.  Since I had the cover off I took advantage of the situation and poured the gear oil over all the forks, gears, and whatever.  With the clutch depressed, I went through all the gears and the two ranges, it worked great.  It looks like my reverse geat took quite a bit of misuse as part of the teeth is chipped off.  Still, it works for now.  I laid a bead of Permatex down and closed the case ... DOH! I forgot to align the shifter and range selector before closing the case.  Open, align, close.

I tested it again and everything looks fine. I can't test it under power because there's a concert at the church and the 1220 isn't the quietest tractor.

Quick question: Are the gears from the standard 3-speed tranny interchangable with the 6-speed?  I have access to a parts tractor that had a tree dropped on it, but the gearbox is okay.

Thanks for the help guys.

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 03:59 PM

The cluster gear that often wears on the 3 and 6 speed tranny's are not the same, the 6 speed has the 3 gears on it and the 3 speed has 2 gears with the smallest being built right into the input shaft.

You did use Mineral 90 weight gear oil and not synthetic right?

#8 stanz OFFLINE  

stanz
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 73 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 05:02 PM

You did use Mineral 90 weight gear oil and not synthetic right?

Yup

#9 Bolens800uk ONLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,164 Thanks
  • 918 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 05:36 PM

Sorry for my ignorance, what's 'sea foam' as I have not heard of it here in the UK. Thanks

#10 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,158 Thanks
  • 1,161 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 05:41 PM

Sorry for my ignorance, what's 'sea foam' as I have not heard of it here in the UK. Thanks

Look at this.

http://gardentractor.../?hl= sea foam

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#11 Bolens800uk ONLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,164 Thanks
  • 918 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 05:47 PM

Look at this.
http://gardentractor.../?hl= sea foam

Ok thanks; it's a fuel stabiliser and cleaner. I use a Swedish product in the UK for my 2 stroke machines. it's called Aspen2. I am very impressed with it myself.

#12 stanz OFFLINE  

stanz
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 73 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 08:48 PM

I ran the tractor this afternoon and it shifts fine, reverse is a bit tricky due to the damaged gear. My shifter is a bit loose and it became misaligned during my testing, stuck in first.  Until I fix it I just need to be careful when I shift.

#13 TGaffney OFFLINE  

TGaffney
  • Member No: 10752
  • 40 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 09:21 PM

Good news your 1220 is up and running.  I have a 1225 which I think is an awesome tractor - very strong and reliable.  Out of curiosity what was the Craigslist asking price on your 1220?

#14 stanz OFFLINE  

stanz
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 73 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 08:47 AM

Good news your 1220 is up and running.  I have a 1225 which I think is an awesome tractor - very strong and reliable.  Out of curiosity what was the Craigslist asking price on your 1220?

The price was $150. Once I saw the tractor was complete, I didn't haggle, $150 was good enough. Are you really on the Cape? I'd be interested in the 1225 but that's too far for me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1220