• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 duck7675 OFFLINE  

duck7675

• Member No: 1850
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 09:02 PM

Wondering how to "check" the fluid level in the transmission on an 1976 MF10.

How often should this fluid be changed?

What type of fluid (ATF?) would you recommend I use when I change it?

I'm sure it's in the manual, but better to ask here.....How much is supposed to be in there?

First time Massey owner and loving every minute of it.

Thanks in advance.

#2 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 09:32 PM

Hi and welcome

There's a drain plug on the bottom, a level check plug on the front and under the seat there's a rubber hose with a cap for filling.
Normal gear oil is fine I think it holds 2 or so lt. and I don't know how often to change it but if you don't know when it was last done then just change it, it doesn't cost much.

#3 duck7675 OFFLINE  

duck7675

• 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 28, 2011 - 06:24 AM

Thanks.

So I am assuming if I remove the "level check" plug and I don't see any oil. I should add some? Until it does show.

I've found several "manuals" that list step by steps on how to perform various maintenance tasks. But none on changing the tranny fluid.

Anyone else come across this particular task in this format?

I'm the type that likes to have "directions" to follow before doing something.

Thanks

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 28, 2011 - 06:28 AM

Anytime you have a oil level plug, which in a lot of cases this will also be where you fill the item with oil also. In the case of your transmission on the MF10 like Dough said there is a rubber line with a breather plug under the seat that you can use to fill the transmission with. Once you drain all the old oil out with the lower rear plug and put the plug back in place and tighten it up. You want to remove the front oil level plug. Fill the transmission until you can see the oil touch the lower part of the threads. Some fill till the oil starts to actually come out but that makes a mess.

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 28, 2011 - 06:30 AM

I think gear oil would me more preferable mainly because the Peerless transmissions are on the noisy side and a thicker oil like gear oil helps quite them down some.

#6 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted February 28, 2011 - 02:19 PM

I think gear oil would me more preferable mainly because the Peerless transmissions are on the noisy side and a thicker oil like gear oil helps quite them down some.

I wonder how a synthetic would perform as far as the noise? My MF dealer suggested I go to synthetic when I change my hydraulic fluid in my compact, but that thing takes 10 gallons!

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 28, 2011 - 02:33 PM

I wonder how a synthetic would perform as far as the noise? My MF dealer suggested I go to synthetic when I change my hydraulic fluid in my compact, but that thing takes 10 gallons!

I know it wouldn't hurt. It might help but I honestly can't say for sure. There has been almost nothing but good said about the thick, gear oil type synthetics so it might be worth a try. I know I wouldn't want to buy 10 gallons of it though LOL.

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted February 28, 2011 - 10:32 PM

Owners manual specs 4 US pints of 90 w gear oil. For all the more you'll have in this, it's well worth changing. Since the last time it was changed, there's probably been water in it & particulates from wear. Possibly been decades since the last change & it should've been done every 100 hours according to the manual.

#9 duck7675 OFFLINE  

duck7675

• 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted March 01, 2011 - 05:51 AM

Thank you to everyone.