Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

For those of you with a wire feed welder

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,137 Thanks
  • 2,269 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 08:37 PM

I have a Hobart Handler 140 and I love it.  I knew I would probably only buy one welder so I researched and came up with this one.  It seems to be the best range for the price and the largest 110 machine they offered.  Overall it's been a really good value.  My question for those in the know is about sheilding gas.  I've been welding without it and doing ok but I've been considering investing in the gas because I heard that your welds come out a lot better.  So, is it worth the investment or am I better off just sticking with the flux core wire?

• hamman said thank you

#2 jabelman OFFLINE  

• Member No: 38843
  • 1,452 Thanks
  • 1,117 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 08:47 PM

I have an older wire feed mig. Depends the amount you use it and for what. I use mine a couple times a year for small projects and i use flux wire with no gas so i never bothered getting an argon tank.
I used my friends with argon gas yes you do get a nicer weld less sloppy. For heaver jobs though i bring out the sticks
  • GTTinkerer, hamman and David Brown have said thanks

#3 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,048 Thanks
  • 4,977 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 08:53 PM

Here is my opinion. I have a Hobart 210 dual voltage unit (highly recommend 110 and 220 capability is great). It came set up for gas but after spending 900 on a welder buying a bottle and such was out of the picture

I used self shielded wire for awhile. Bought bottle and gas shielded wire.

noticed no difference myself.....I think with the gas and self shield it is more forgiving on "dirty" metal

Edited by toomanytoys84, December 12, 2014 - 08:55 PM.

• hamman and David Brown have said thanks

#4 tater195 OFFLINE  

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,252 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 08:55 PM

I am not sure about the 140 but have used a 480v lincoln at work a few times. It is probably apples and oranges, but the difference in the weld is amazing.

I have a 140 and I like not having to worry about running out of gas on sunday in the middle of a project. On the other hand it would be nice to buy the wire at 1/3 the price.

I am not too picky about my welds and dont spend a lot of time cleaning off paint and rust. I have herd that the flux core welds alittle better on this kind of stuff than the argon. Wind is a problem with the argon also. 

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 09:00 PM

I only have flux core capability on my wirefed. When I need something critical welded I take it to a welder who uses a large Miller gas welder. The quality of the welds is much nicer. I'm sure some of that is his experience but there is virtually no splatter or corrosion on the weld. You could pretty much paint it as is.  

#6 Enginerod OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1748
  • 203 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 09:22 PM

The welds do look better with a shielding gas but have a slight better penetration with gasless. I have been using straight CO2 for years, actually has better penetration than argon or argon mix and is much cheaper. Straight argon is only needed when welding aluminum. I also have the handler 140 and find it will weld very thick stuff.

#7 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,262 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 09:28 PM

My MillerMatic 175 does most of my welding jobs w/ solid wire and C25. If something is thicker than 1/4" the ol' Thunderbolt A/C D/C gets put to work. The mig requires more surface prep and you have to be sure it burns in well or the weld will be weak due to poor fusion. To the OP, IMO you'd be better off to stick w/ fluxcore  as it will burn in better than a mig on 110v.

• GTTinkerer, hamman and David Brown have said thanks

#8 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 480 Thanks
  • 409 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 09:32 PM

I have a 220 volt lincoln 175 and have used both flux core and argon/co2 gas.  For looks, I think the mig weld looks much better than the flux core weld but not sure if there's any significant difference in the strength of the welds.  I usually leave flux core in the machine only because I don't want to take the time to connect the argon/co2 tank and change the wire spool when I want to quickly weld something.  As previously stated, wind can be a problem with gas but it isn't a problem with flux core.

• Alc, GTTinkerer, hamman and 1 other said thanks

#9 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,519 Thanks
  • 2,551 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 09:33 PM

DSCF7086.JPG    I also have the handler 140. I've tried both gas and gas less. I prefer the gas which is Argon mix. I'm certainly not a welder by profession but my BIL has that distinction and he really like the handler with gas.  I've welded some 1/4" and 3/8" with it and it did well. JM2CW.                                                                                                                   Roger

• Alc, dthomp17, David Brown and 3 others have said thanks

#10 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 61934
  • 658 Thanks
  • 382 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 09:35 PM

I have a miller wire feed mig. and  i have welded with the gas on it and o my it's a nice weld . But the welding i do ,it is not for show and if you do enough your welds will look great. with practice.

• hamman, dthomp17, David Brown and 1 other said thanks

#11 Traill95 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,542 Thanks
  • 904 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 09:54 PM

I have the tank,It's been empty for several years now. Getting along fine without the expense of keeping it filled.

#12 Username OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,064 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 10:00 PM

I have two migs and they are both gas.Nice looking welds with very little splatter and I think you have a little less wire feeding problems with solid wire.The wire is also cheaper.

• GTTinkerer, hamman, dthomp17 and 1 other said thanks

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 10:20 PM

I have a Hobart 140 also and so far it has been great for me with the flux core wire. I have thought about getting a gas bottle quite a few times but for the limited use I get out of mine I am not sure it would be worth the cost. The cleaner welds would be nice. If or when I do have a larger job to do with the Hobart 140 I will probably get a bottle.

#14 Jazz OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62028
  • 1,348 Thanks
  • 886 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 10:49 PM

The gas is great for welding lighter gauge sheet metal. Other than that you really don't need the expense of gas. Most of my welding is sheet metal for body work so gas is a must. I am sure your welds will improve with practice. You also don't get all the splatter with gas but pretty much just as much smoke!

This pic I used half a bottle of gas to weld in a crossmember and top hats ,,,pretty welds but costly just the same.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0217.jpg

• hamman, dthomp17, David Brown and 1 other said thanks

#15 dropped82 OFFLINE  

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,333 Thanks
  • 1,191 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 11:16 PM

I just picked this up the other day and am really excited to use it. I'm gonna plan on running gas. Still looking for a gun since I didn't get one with it. I
Sorry for the bad pic but it's an Auto Arc 4150 made by Miller. It was one of those deals I couldn't say no to.

Attached Thumbnails

• uploadfromtaptalk1418444171287.jpg
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418444186205.jpg

Edited by dropped82, December 12, 2014 - 11:17 PM.

• hamman, David Brown and Sawdust have said thanks