• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 aevansgatech OFFLINE  

aevansgatech
  • Member No: 62323
  • 213 Thanks
  • 261 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 08:27 AM

More of a question out of curiosity but every time I see an Ariens for sale it's priced at least 200% higher than similarly sized well known brands. Was there something special about these tractors? Significantly better durability? 

It also looks like new Ariens models have Briggs & Stratton engines. So far I can't find much of a difference between other good GTs at lower pricepoints

• HANKG said thank you

#2 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,877 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 09:48 AM

Maybe its the inherently great German engineering Case tractor's also come with a higher price tag.

#3 aevansgatech OFFLINE  

aevansgatech
  • Member No: 62323
  • 213 Thanks
  • 261 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 11:11 AM

Were the old models sold in the US? Perhaps its a low volume thing too?

#4 KohlerJunkie OFFLINE  

KohlerJunkie
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 62626
  • 8 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 11:36 AM

If you're talking about the older GT models, They were Built very, very well.

A little bit hard to work on, but not too bad. Plus they're very heavy so traction isn't really a problem. My 17 right now, probly weights near 1000 pounds.

My GT 17 also has front PTO also Front lift arms mid PTO rear pto 3 pt hitch, steering brakes, (some have power steering.)

Maybe they are just more rare were you live, beacause by me they're getting so cheap.  Right Now there is a GT 18 Power steering Front, Mid and rear Pto With a 60? inch deck and a 2 stage snowblower for $600.

• JDBrian said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 11:47 AM

If you're talking about the older GT models, They were Built very, very well.

A little bit hard to work on, but not too bad. Plus they're very heavy so traction isn't really a problem. My 17 right now, probly weights near 1000 pounds.

My GT 17 also has front PTO also Front lift arms mid PTO rear pto 3 pt hitch, steering brakes, (some have power steering.)

Maybe they are just more rare were you live, beacause by me they're getting so cheap.  Right Now there is a GT 18 Power steering Front, Mid and rear Pto With a 60? inch deck and a 2 stage snowblower for $600.

They are a nice tractor if you can find one that hasn't been abused and neglected. They are a bit pricier than most but not as high as CC or JD in this market.

• sideswiper said thank you

#6 KohlerJunkie OFFLINE  

KohlerJunkie
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 62626
  • 8 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 12:34 PM

They are a nice tractor if you can find one that hasn't been abused and neglected. They are a bit pricier than most but not as high as CC or JD in this market.

Agreed. Heck I can't Find a JD 110 for under $600 around me!

Edited by KohlerJunkie, December 12, 2014 - 12:41 PM.

#7 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,877 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 07:22 PM

I did not mean to infer they were made in Germany, just that the company was started by Henry Ariens

#8 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,531 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 08:35 PM

I guess you are thinking of the S and GT series, the big boys of Ariens. 

I think there are various reasons, heavier built, fairly well engineered, and not mass produced like the bigger manufacturers. Ariens bought the S series line from Sperry New Holland back in the 70's. 

#9 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 08:53 PM

and look at brands like MTD, Simplicity, Allis  Ford/Jacobsen, and such;  they all had another brand that while painted different and had different stickers but otherwise were the same as  a tractor sold under some other name  while  Ariens is just Ariens.   You cant take a structural part like a frame or a hood or a front axle or a deck from anything "but" another Ariens, and have it fit/work properly.  I am not sayin that something can't be "made" to work  but nothing else is a direct swap. Engines transaxles etc, yeah. there is some interchange there, as these are parts that were not made "by" Ariens  but were outsourced. and also outsourced by the others,

#10 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 10:45 PM

I am on my 2nd Ariens S/GT series tractor;

this is the 1st that will run and actually be used. my 1st one just sorta passed thru here untouched by me because it was so much more a basket case  than this one I now have was when I got it.  I was not working at the time (I was on Disability because of the chain saw kickback I experienced) had no extra parts for it or the engine which was in boxes,  No $$ to begin to think about trying to piece it back together.... so I passed it on not knowing that ~5 years later I'd have this one. If not the tractor itself I'd like to have the tiller attachment that I passed along with that 1st tractor, back....

Now just those tillers themselves, bring more money than the tractor tiller deck and snow blade brought me back then, combined!

#11 sideswiper OFFLINE  

sideswiper

• Member No: 5140
  • 19 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 09:06 AM

I have Three  S16H's Two of them are running & the third just needs a new carb & Coil then it will be working again the drive shaft broke right at the Transmission & it broke the Gear inside the Charge pump i was able to get a used housing & the Two gears for $50 on ebay they wanted close to $300 for just the Two gears on the internet. I have Two snow blowers, Snow Blade, Tiller, Three decks,& rear Blade for Grading my Driveway. I also have a Hard Cab for One Tractor & a Hard Top Soft Sided Cab for another. These are great little tractors & mine are worked Year round

• dodge trucker said thank you

#12 suieswam OFFLINE  

suieswam
  • Member No: 10196
  • 25 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 10:11 AM

the old New Hollands were designed in New Holland, Pa. and built in Belleville Pa.  till they were sold to Ariens in the early 70's they just changed the paint!  I helped to build the prototypes  was a great tractor 

• sideswiper, shorty and dodge trucker have said thanks

#13 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,239 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 11:21 PM

I sold mine for 600 or 700 bucks. Gt17. It was a nice tractor. I used it to cut a bit then got tired of it.

They are quirky in my experience

#14 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 11:34 PM

Ariens are a great GT in my book and if you pull the body off the look a lot like a JD140 or early 300 series. Big block Kohler shaft driven to a hydro pump and a Dana 20 rear axle.