Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What are some of your most memorable moments with your tractors?

tractors memorable moments

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,532 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 06:50 AM

Three stand out for me. Thirty years ago, in a heavy snow I was using my WH Raider 9 to plow the common driveway for 6 of us. The snow was deep and heavy so, with the blade at an angle, I'd get pushed sideways. Two neighbors(and friends) came out to see how I was doing. They were a little drunk and in a great mood. They climded onto the hood of the tractor and we plowed that way for the next hour. It was pretty funny, 3 mid thirties Army vets acting like little boys playing. Alteast they had warm seats.

Second is putting my son on his first GT when he was two. A neighbor sold me a Magna Trac GT for Ricky to play with. I cleanned and tuned it then put a ball hitch on it. We used it to pull around our log splitter. Ricky wanted to try driving it so I dettached the logsplitter and put him in the seat with hands on the wheel. I pull started it and put it in creeper gear. He had a great time driving it around our yard.

Third was when Ricky was 12. We were visiting the home of two of our Boyscouts and noticed their dead AC Big Ten. I offered to fix it for them and took it home. Gas tank and carb full of water. I gave it and the mower deck a full going over and got it started. I told Ricky to give it a test drive by mowing the yard. He came back and told me "I want to keep it". I promised to find him one and we brought it to the owners. I got him one a few months later and he drove it all through our woods with his friend on the Magna Trac. We now have that Big Ten too. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, December 12, 2014 - 06:52 AM.

• Delmar and propane1 have said thanks

#17 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 07:45 AM

I think my most memorable moments were making road trips to various parts of Indiana . Talking , no listening to dealers of Elec-Traks involved during and after the prototyping days gets it for me . I left a pic or two in other threads here . Someday the pieces will all fit together .

The Elec-Trak wit Bolens decals has boot scuff pads on the floorboards . The dealers knew how to deliver .

#18 aevansgatech OFFLINE  

aevansgatech
  • Member No: 62323
  • 213 Thanks
  • 261 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 08:31 AM

I'm very new to this, but I'd have to say the first snowfall about 2 weeks ago was the most fun moment I've had. I bought my GT specifically for pushing snow and boy did it push snow!

Unfortunately the ground was dry when I showed it to my dad and brother for the first time, but we had a lot of fun just riding around for fun

• Delmar and propane1 have said thanks

#19 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

AfterShock95
  • Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 10:42 AM

My would have to be when I used a friend of mine spike tooth harrow not a little one it was 4 ft by 4 ft 5 rows of teeth that you could adjust it had to weight 65 lbs I had my son bring out the sears and I let him go threw the garden to level it out he was only six at the time he would ride through the garden then I would pull the lever to rotate the teeth on it so he didn't tear up the yard he was out there for hours now he is 19 and in college and has a busy life so the father in son time is way to short now .
  • Delmar, boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,268 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 12:45 PM

Early in my childhood, spending time with Dad in the garage. Now Ryan and Kaylen have to as well, but I hope they appreciate the time together later on when we are apart.

My Dad hasn't been gone all that long, and I still find myself talking to him (as in Dale, what did you do with that???)
I miss him greatly and the fun and angst we had together wrenching on stuff.
  • DH1, Sparky, wvbuzzmaster and 5 others have said thanks

#21 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,607 Thanks
  • 7,659 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 12:54 PM

When I was carrying it's. Sundstrand Hydro trans and lost my footing!
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#22 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 01:33 PM

With my Garden tractors it's going to plowday's with my dad.  With the farm tractors there are many.  Sitting my daughter on the seat of either the JD A or my Case RC and letting her drive while I walk behind and monitor her.  They are both hand clutch and I have them set so she can latch them and also pull them back and let the pulley brake stop the tractor.  More enjoyable to watch all the people on the parade route cheer her on then it is to drive them myself.  Double tree pulling with my dad is something I have always enjoyed.  He on our modified H and me on the M.  Getting the restoration done on our 15-30 McCormick Deering was a HUGE deal for us as well.  Having history with 5 generations of my family make it a tad special.

• MH81, KennyP, Delmar and 1 other said thanks

#23 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,798 Thanks
  • 2,197 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 04:02 PM

I have 2 

The day I took the 195 out of the garage and tested the loader for the first time. Great feeling to see it do what I hoped. 

The second is when I brought home the Motomower and told my son, Matt , it was his and we we're going to restore it together. A soon as I got it off the truck , he was on the seat. The smile on his face is something I won't forget.

• MH81, Delmar, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#24 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,531 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 08:15 PM

The day that I left my son drive a tractor alone for the first time. He was so surprised when I told him to take it for a spin. His mile wide grin was something to remember. Every couple of weeks he asks if he can drive again. The little mower has made many laps around the yard this year.

• Delmar and boyscout862 have said thanks

#25 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,532 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 08:42 AM

The day that I left my son drive a tractor alone for the first time. He was so surprised when I told him to take it for a spin. His mile wide grin was something to remember. Every couple of weeks he asks if he can drive again. The little mower has made many laps around the yard this year.

Now that is quality time! Good Luck, Rick
  • shorty said thank you

#26 PaulL OFFLINE  

PaulL
  • Member No: 49081
  • 111 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 02:26 AM

Towing my daughter and grandkids around the lake behind my '71 Gravely C8.  They got to try ice fishing for the first time.  Got some strange looks from the snowmobile folks.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN5053_edited.JPG

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#27 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 443 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 02:27 AM

Here is mine: a few years ago Fred Young drummer for the Kentucky Headhunters came to my place to PU a Original Cub Cadet he bought from me...it was one of three I got from a widow lady not far from where we live. Her husband had a nice collection of vintage iron(farm & garden) and I told Fred that she was selling most of that collection. He wanted to see and so we went. We get there and I introduce her to Fred and she says "wait a minute, I have one of your CD's...could you sign it for me?". When she returns with it (and a Sharpie marker) grinning from ear to ear, hands over the CD to Fred to sign it. He looks at the CD and says "well ma'am...I'd be glad to but I don't play in this band, I play the drums for The KY Headhunters". The CD was a band called "The Tractors". He signed it for her anyways~      

#28 richwoodrocket ONLINE  

richwoodrocket

16 year old JD lover

• Contributor
  • Member No: 57205
  • 147 Thanks
  • 177 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 09:41 AM

I had asked my grandpa how the tiller on his JD 317 worked. He explained it to me then asked if I wanted to take it for a spin! I couldn't say yes fast enough.

#29 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 12:48 PM

I've had several, but one of my favorites was driving the jd 200 home from the neighbor's place where we unloaded it in 2009 when I moved to NY with my mom, dad, and sister.

#30 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,306 Thanks
  • 4,658 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 01:45 PM

So many memories..  From the first time mowing the lawn as a young lad then working fields all hours of the day as a teen..  There is literally too many times and memories..  Here's one I will always cherish..  It's one of my grandson & I on the 4310:

Grandpa&MasonTractor (2).jpg

• KennyP and EricR have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tractors, memorable, moments