#1 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,325 posts

Posted December 10, 2014 - 11:50 PM

When did it start to get very Windy every time the weather changes?

I've really noticed some strange weather over the last 3 or 4 years.And every time the weather changes it gets Very windy.Like tonight we have gusts up around 60mph because we're supposed to get snow.

Every time it warms up a bit or gets cold or is supposed to rain or snow it gets very windy.Gusts from 40-60mph+.

It was 20F one day then 70F the following afternoon then down to -4F then back up to 38-42F for the rest of the week.And it got windy when the temperature dropped.

Last winter it got down to -18F for almost 3 weeks and more snow than I've seen since I was a youngster which was the blizzard of 1977.

I've never seen weather change so Fast and violently.

That reminds me I have to replace another shingle on the roof.Seems like every time the weather changes I loose a Tab or 2.The roof has only been on for about 16 years but it's been shedding Tabs on the southern most side pretty regularly these last couple years.

• Bill56, Alc, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted December 11, 2014 - 12:47 AM

IMHO I don't know if the weather is changing or folks are paying more attention to it due to the "Global warming" or "Global weirding" or what ever they are calling it now. I'm looking forward to see some of the posts and bet it depends on what side of the fence you fall on.  I don't understand all of it but can't help think if it is such a huge problem then why isn't the world "China" held accountable for all of the crap they put into the air and water? It's not just a U.S. problem. Just for fun look up carbon coupons on the internet and see how the big companies buy and sell permits to discharge crap into the air and water. As far as the roof, my neighbor has had the same problem for some time and finally put on a steel roof. Great topic and can't wait to see some of the replies Thanks.

• Bill56, Alc, EricFromPa and 2 others have said thanks

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,570 Thanks
  • 3,895 posts

Posted December 11, 2014 - 02:16 AM

Its the same here in Missouri.

Look up  "Geo Engineering"  and/or  "Chemtrails"

• Bill56 and tractorgarden have said thanks

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted December 11, 2014 - 02:47 AM

Sorry, but it's my opinion that its the norm. Wind is how High Pressure moves to low pressure areas...
Hot times, cold times etc, etc. The weather tends to by cyclical and every 40-60 years, we start to swing round again.
Somewhere in my parents house, is a picture with drifts to the eaves, the snow head high everywhere else and my great grandparents toughing it out 65+ years ago.
Some of the big rains from last year have some pretty well documented similarities to patterns from 75 years previous. http://ciresblogs.co...repeats-itself/
There is a reason why our parents and grandparents coined the phrases "100 year blizzard" and "50 year flood"... They were smarter than we are.
  • Bill56, EricFromPa, KennyP and 9 others have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted December 11, 2014 - 04:46 AM

I think as we age, we pay more attention to the weather. And I agree with Alan, it works in cycles.

• Bill56, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,515 posts

Posted December 11, 2014 - 05:48 AM

I'm sitting here listening to music from the 60s and remembering cold snowy winters and hot summers(before we had A/C). It was so cold that my old man bought a cab and installed it on his Ford 800 that was used for snow plowing. My mother talked about the cold in the 1930s being so bad that Long Island Sound froze over and people were walking to the island from CT.

The weather has changed in my lifetime but not as much as people seem to think. The earths' average has been creeping up since the Tambor volcano explosion of 1814(?). In New England and most of Europe 1815 was "the summer that wasn't". The earth tends to warm up a little each year but in the last couple decades it has been getting warmer and at a faster rate. Humans have not entirely caused this but we have helped to speed it up.

As the climate changes, the patterns change too. The pressure differences between highs and lows may be increasing a little which would mean higher winds but I'm not sure if the differences have increased.

One of the things to keep in mind is that weather trends are over years and we won't know how it has shifted until after many years.

I heat with passive solar and have noticed that we get very few clear sunny days anymore. There usually is a high layer of haze that greatly reduces my heat gain. So, the climate may be getting warmer but I am not. Good Luck, Rick
  • Bill56, EricFromPa, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#7 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted December 11, 2014 - 07:37 AM

We've had more wind in my area over the last few years plus other strange weather events including my towns first tornado and what the weather service labeled a dericho (?) or inland hurricane.

I'm back to living on the same road I grew up on so I can say this for a fact,back in the 70's you could sled down the hill and around the corner and this past winter was the first one since then that it's been possible,as I told my girls "this is the kind of winter dad grew up on!"

Here's my question; does the air feel colder this winter? I normally have no trouble keeping warm outside but this year the cold just has a little more bite to it.

• Bill56, boyscout862, robert_p43 and 1 other said thanks

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted December 11, 2014 - 07:50 AM

We've had more wind in my area over the last few years plus other strange weather events including my towns first tornado and what the weather service labeled a dericho (?) or inland hurricane.

I'm back to living on the same road I grew up on so I can say this for a fact,back in the 70's you could sled down the hill and around the corner and this past winter was the first one since then that it's been possible,as I told my girls "this is the kind of winter dad grew up on!"

Here's my question; does the air feel colder this winter? I normally have no trouble keeping warm outside but this year the cold just has a little more bite to it.

As far as it feeling colder out, I just figure that's my age again showing. Telling me I'm a dummy for getting out in that cold stuff!

• Bill56, boyscout862 and pigsitter have said thanks

#9 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted December 11, 2014 - 08:09 AM

As far as it feeling colder out, I just figure that's my age again showing. Telling me I'm a dummy for getting out in that cold stuff!

I've been thinking the same thing......I'm just to stubborn to admit I'm getting older! 

• EricFromPa, KennyP and sodisr have said thanks

#10 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,863 Thanks
  • 2,786 posts

Posted December 11, 2014 - 08:52 AM

I respect MH81'S opinion, and yes HP systems and LP systems create wind, but are all the scientists wrong about climate change ? Are they all bought off as some claim, by the liberals even the ones in other countries so there agenda's continue to be funded ? are they all on the take, I don't like insurance company's telling my Dr. how he should proceed with my care and my education does not allow me to argue with those in the scientific community about climate change therefore I'll err on the side of caution.
  • Bill56, MH81, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#11 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,476 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted December 11, 2014 - 09:01 AM

Yea, global warming is true...that's why we had basicaly no summer, maybe 10 days above 90 and we just had a freaking blizzard in NY last month.....looney liberals :loosing_it:  :loosing_it:

I seriously think weather changes with patterns over years. I too remember being little back inthe 70's we had snow all winter, 20* and below temps for weeks on hand. Shoot, in winter of 2001/2012, we got a whopping 1 1/2" of snow in Cincy and rarely dropped below 25*.....the whole winter! Then last year, from Christmas to March I was plowing snow all winter it seemed.

I have other theories too involving Revelations and the end times, but I won'tgo in to a religious discussion.

• Bill56, pigsitter, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#12 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,391 Thanks
  • 1,526 posts

Posted December 11, 2014 - 10:08 AM

I agree with MH81, when I was growing up in Lancaster co. PA in the early to mid 90's we had lots of snow, then about 15 years with very little snow, now the past 4 or 5 years they have gotten more snow again. Just my 2 cents.
  • Bill56, boyscout862 and HANKG have said thanks

#13 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,652 posts

Posted December 11, 2014 - 10:50 AM

[quote name="TAHOE" post="521250" timestamp="1418306478"]Yea, global warming is true...that's why we had basicaly no summer, maybe 10 days above 90 and we just had a freaking blizzard in NY last month.....looney liberals :loosing_it:  :loosing_it

When two thirds of the world is cooking and one third is freezing, guess what? . . . You have global warming! You've got to look beyond your own back yard.

Whether or not the weather is changing, we are still stuck with what we 'fe got and we have no excuse for dirting up where we sleep.
  • Bill56, oldedeeres and HANKG have said thanks

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted December 11, 2014 - 11:30 AM

Probably this is actually two questions.

is there global climate change?

and

are we causing it?

The first is a hotly divided topic, that only close scrutiny of records,time travel and finding an impartial and unopinionated person would answer ... The second will very easily escalate into a political topic. I'm certain no one intentionally suggested we should poop where we sleep... And I was part way thru a very eloquent reply about volcanoes causing more pollution in a few hours we ever have in all of history to date.... This is a no win conversation for any of us. IMHO.

• Bill56, diesel nut, WNYTractorTinkerer and 3 others have said thanks

#15 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted December 11, 2014 - 12:22 PM

I've been thinking the same thing......I'm just to stubborn to admit I'm getting older! 

I'm thinking the same thing....  It's just age.. I used to ski and ice fish and just be outside in the winter... Now I watch the weather and stay in alot more...

• Bill56, EricFromPa and pigsitter have said thanks