• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bill3t OFFLINE  

bill3t
  • Member No: 57907
  • 44 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted December 10, 2014 - 12:49 PM

my little gt almost all back to gether. moter turns over. no spark. not sure yet what it needs. has the 14 hp kohler and solid state ignition. my other gt has the point set up and just needs little clean up and checking and starts up again. think it mite need new ignition but need to trouble shoot it first. bill

#2 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted December 10, 2014 - 06:00 PM

Hi,

The Kohler K series engine manual has troubleshooting checks for the components in the solid state ignition engines.

Be aware that parts for these engines are hard to come by and expensive when you find them!

Chuck

If you don't have the K series engine manual, it is a free download from a number of places.

• superaben and bill3t have said thanks

#3 bill3t OFFLINE  

bill3t
  • 44 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted December 10, 2014 - 06:42 PM

this little tractor was used hard then left for dead before i got it. mite use a differet ignition if curent one is dead. bill

#4 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,009 Thanks
  • 835 posts

Posted December 10, 2014 - 08:08 PM

Hi bill3t, here's a site that maybe of some help he has lots of information on Kohler engines, scroll down and there is some ignition information.

http://gardentractor...om/a1miller.htm

#5 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • Member No: 8702
  • 77 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted December 10, 2014 - 09:14 PM

One option is that it may be possible to convert it to points if the block has the right holes predrilled. Good luck.

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 05:20 PM

Checking for Grounds on all the components is the First thing to do. Good spark plug?  Wire connections all clean and tight? Ground/stop wire from switch or engine not touching some place it shouldn't be? If you have painted this, make sure wires go to bare metal areas. ON the trigger mounts and the coil bolts I like to use star lock washers between the component and the block or screws to bite into metal and get good contact.

Edited by glgrumpy, December 16, 2014 - 05:22 PM.

#7 bill3t OFFLINE  

bill3t
  • 44 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 08:05 PM

going to work on it tomarro a little. hopefully it just a conection fix and not a new ignition. plug wire and coil conection were a little rusty. this thing sat for years out doors forgoten.tested the plug wire on my other gt. still works. i did buy a new key ignition. the old one was rotten and no key with it. starter tuns over. test lite shows curent to ignition. got head lites. and  pto moves. some before tear down photos would have ben helpfull. i did find a slightly melted terminal on the b part of rectifyer think its called. could be a clue to a past failure. thanks bill

#8 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 08:55 PM

Make sure you have all good connections and make sure the coil and rectifier are grounded good.You will also need a magneto ignition switch for solid state ignition,in case you did not know.It should have spark with the coil to ignition wire disconnected and by jumping the solenoid.

#9 bill3t OFFLINE  

bill3t
  • 44 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted December 19, 2014 - 01:23 PM

i finaly got to testing my ignition parts usuing the kohler test procedures. ignition tested positive for ohms. trigger switch tested failure for continuity. snaped the terminal off on the ignition. mite file the casing down a little to fix. bill

#10 bill3t OFFLINE  

bill3t
  • 44 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted December 20, 2014 - 11:07 AM

i finaly got to testing my ignition parts usuing the kohler test procedures. ignition tested positive for ohms. trigger switch tested failure for continuity. snaped the terminal off on the ignition. mite file the casing down a little to fix. bill

anybody want to sell a trigger sw. at a reasonable price. bill

#11 bill3t OFFLINE  

bill3t
  • 44 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted January 13, 2015 - 06:34 PM

i fanaly got my new battery ignition parts installed. mite be diving before the weeks over.b