#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 08:00 PM

Ok guys, need some help. For the past two days now, our computer screen has been showing shadow lines. The appear as rub marks like when you use a pencil on paper, and if your hand starts to sweat, it smears the lead. Along the edges of the screen are light black vertical lines, and it appears that the screen image is slowly getting darker and darker each passing day. I'm assuming the screen is slowly dying, but just wanted to double check that it isn't something more?  

Any help, or confirmation will be greatly appreciated.

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 08:03 PM

Yep, screen is dying. You may get a good bit more use out of it. Both of my monitors at work have the smear marks you mention and they have been going for over a year since they developed them.

• MH81, tractorgarden and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#3 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 08:22 PM

Well, if I disappear for a while, don't take it personally. With Christmas right around the corner, and layoffs being mentioned again at work, I'm pretty sure the monitor isn't going to be top priority right now. It will drive me nuts not being on here, but at least I'll get some projects done around the house.

Thanks George!

• MH81 said thank you

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 08:29 PM

Well, if I disappear for a while, don't take it personally. With Christmas right around the corner, and layoffs being mentioned again at work, I'm pretty sure the monitor isn't going to be top priority right now. It will drive me nuts not being on here, but at least I'll get some projects done around the house.

Thanks George!

Troy,

I have a spare monitor that you would be welcome to.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#5 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 08:39 PM

I just got off the phone with my father-in-law, who I called before posting this message, and he told me to try turning off the computer and the monitor, unplugging everything from the outlet, and letting everything sit for fifteen minutes. He claims this will reset the computer back to factory standards, electronically. Since he used to work for RCA many years ago, he says he can't understand why the screen would shadow, since there isn't a picture tube like was used in the older monitors or televisions. He never thought pixels went bad.

Any truth to unplugging the whole unit and letting it sit for fifteen minutes? As for the monitor George, Thanks for the offer, and I'll keep you posted on the status.

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 08:43 PM

I just got off the phone with my father-in-law, who I called before posting this message, and he told me to try turning off the computer and the monitor, unplugging everything from the outlet, and letting everything sit for fifteen minutes. He claims this will reset the computer back to factory standards, electronically. Since he used to work for RCA many years ago, he says he can't understand why the screen would shadow, since there isn't a picture tube like was used in the older monitors or televisions. He never thought pixels went bad.

Any truth to unplugging the whole unit and letting it sit for fifteen minutes? As for the monitor George, Thanks for the offer, and I'll keep you posted on the status.

I wouldn't worry about unplugging the computer itself. Maybe just the monitor. Unplugging the pc wouldn't do anything other than possibly reset the hardware clock if the battery on the motherboard is bad.

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 08:55 PM

Besides doing that, run some scans on that thing. My old XP unit was doing that then just failed to start back up.

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,266 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 08:56 PM

Troy, odds are it will be needing replaced soon.

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,699 Thanks
  • 8,892 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 09:44 PM

It's from posting pics of tractors other than John Deeres. You should know better.

You need a 318 grille badge, and glue it to the back of the monitor. That will fix it right up. If you add a Diesel grille emblem from a 430, the colors will brighten up.

If you want the computer to run faster, glue another emblem to the tower.

• MH81, KennyP, JDBrian and 1 other said thanks

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 10, 2014 - 11:09 AM

It's from posting pics of tractors other than John Deeres. You should know better.

You need a 318 grille badge, and glue it to the back of the monitor. That will fix it right up. If you add a Diesel grille emblem from a 430, the colors will brighten up.

If you want the computer to run faster, glue another emblem to the tower.

Troy, don't pay any attention to Cat.  Everybody knows that the Diesel emblem  increases contrast not brightness!!

• KennyP and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#11 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 10, 2014 - 11:11 AM

I agree with George, it sounds like the monitor but if you want to be sure find someone who will loan you their monitor and swap the two out.  If the new monitor looks good then you know but if the new one has the same issues then the problem is your video card.  You more then likely have an onboard card which means it is part of the mother board but the good news is you can get a pci card and plug it in.  But my money is on the monitor going bad.  There is good news there as well, you find used monitors in your local classifieds and craigslist.  You can also find refurbished ones on Newegg and Best buy.  Good Luck.

• KennyP and johndeereelfman have said thanks