I had posted photos of my snowblower back when I first built it up.
Over the years I've made some improvements to it so I thought I would show it to you guys again.
I bought a 1980 Toro Groundsmaster back in 2003 and this is how it looked at the time.
This is how it looks today.
These tractors were built to use for golf coarse maintenance.
Because this tractor has the enclosed cab, it may have had a Toro snowblower or a plow but I didn't get either one of them with it.
The engine in this is a Continental 4-cylinder and is water cooled so the cab has heat in it for winter comfort.
The heater box sets on top of the steering column, right behind the windshield.
This way it blows heat up to defrost the windshield first than back to heat the cab.
When I first got it I searched for a Toro snowblower to go on it but was not able to find one.
So I adapted a 48 inch snowblower off a John Deere tractor.
I added a wing to one side of the blower so it clears a 54 inch wide path.
Here is how it looked when I first got the blower mounted on.
A shot of me using it for the first time.
As you can see, it did a good job of handling snow that was as deep as the height of the blower.
Unfortunately, the snow would some times be deeper than that and it would push over the top of the blower and get under the drive wheels.
So I added a valance to the top of the blower'
That worked fine until the snow started to blow into deeper drifts.
I then welded a piece of angle iron to the front corner of the wing to form a cutter bar.
This will now cut thru snow that is up to 3 foot deep.
The wing on the side of the blower extends out from the blower at an angle.
This caused a problem in heavy or deeper snow as it would pull the blower sideways into the snow bank.
To correct this, I added a skirt to the side of the blower that rides up along the side of the snow bank and stops the blower from being pulled sideways.
You can see here the the angle iron cutter blade is mounted so the it sits out in front of the blower itself.
This, along with the angle of the wing, pulls the snow down in front of the blower.
This works really good now.
With the extra height of the valance on the blower, I ran into a problem with the snow chute.
Sometimes, when the chute was facing straight forward, the snow would pile up on top of the blower between the chute and the back of the valance and clog the chute.
At first, I made up a flat panel that bolted onto the lower part of the front of the chute.
However, this made it so the chute would clog real easy in heavy snow.
So I added an extension to the chute and that took care of the problem.
The snowblower is mounted to the arms that are used to mount the mower deck on these tractors.
It is raised and lowered by an arm the is hydraulically controlled.
The snowblower is driven with a driveshaft from the Toro tractor.
The driveshaft connects to a jackshaft that has a chain that connects down to the right angle drive on the blower.
When I first got this all together, the engine had the type of air cleaner that was mounted on the right side of the tractor ( you can see it in the first photo of the tractor ).
The carburetor would freeze up with this air intake system.
I made up a metal "heat box" that sits on top of the muffler and the air for the engine is drawn thru this heat box.
I never had any more problems with the carb freezing up.
Last winter was the coldest that we have had for a long time.
I ended up putting an electric water heater on the engine so I can plug it in about a half hour before I go out and snowblow.
This makes it easier for the engine to start and I don't have to wait for the engine to heat up before I have heat in the cab.
I have been using this tractor for removing snow since 2003 and I'm very pleased with the way it has worked out.
Edited by jdcrawler, December 09, 2014 - 05:53 PM.