jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 04:37 PM

I had posted photos of my snowblower back when I first built it up.
Over the years I've made some improvements to it so I thought I would show it to you guys again.

I bought a 1980 Toro Groundsmaster back in 2003 and this is how it looked at the time.

22_1.jpg

This is how it looks today.

SAM_0252_zps5f395db3.jpg

SAM_0251_zpsf127d23d.jpg

SAM_0254_zps152c4a84.jpg

These tractors were built to use for golf coarse maintenance.  
Because this tractor has the enclosed cab, it may have had a Toro snowblower or a plow but I didn't get either one of them with it.

The engine in this is a Continental 4-cylinder and is water cooled so the cab has heat in it for winter comfort.
The heater box sets on top of the steering column, right behind the windshield.
This way it blows heat up to defrost the windshield first than back to heat the cab.

SAM_0253_zps439bfe6b.jpg

When I first got it I searched for a Toro snowblower to go on it but was not able to find one.
So I adapted a 48 inch snowblower off a John Deere tractor.
I added a wing to one side of the blower so it clears a 54 inch wide path.
Here is how it looked when I first got the blower mounted on.

DCP_0001-2.jpg

A shot of me using it for the first time.

DCP_0001_1.jpg

As you can see, it did a good job of handling snow that was as deep as the height of the blower.

DCP_0001_6-1.jpg

Unfortunately,  the snow would some times be deeper than that and it would push over the top of the blower and get under the drive wheels.
So I added a valance to the top of the blower'

DCP_0003-2.jpg

DCP_0002-4.jpg

That worked fine until the snow started to blow into deeper drifts.
I then welded a piece of angle iron to the front corner of the wing to form a cutter bar.
This will now cut thru snow that is up to 3 foot deep.

29_zps59dd09dd.jpg

30_zps86b28968.jpg

The wing on the side of the blower extends out from the blower at an angle.
This caused a problem in heavy or deeper snow as it would pull the blower sideways into the snow bank.

To correct this, I added a skirt to the side of the blower that rides up along the side of the snow bank and stops the blower from being pulled sideways.

You can see here the the angle iron cutter blade is mounted so the it sits out in front of the blower itself.
This, along with the angle of the wing, pulls the snow down in front of the blower.
This works really good now.

SAM_0257_zpsaaefada0.jpg

With the extra height of the valance on the blower, I ran into a problem with the snow chute.
Sometimes, when the chute was facing straight forward, the snow would pile up on top of the blower between the chute and the back of the valance and clog the chute.
At first, I made up a flat panel that bolted onto the lower part of the front of the chute.
However, this made it so the chute would clog real easy in heavy snow.

27-1.jpg

So I added an extension to the chute and that took care of the problem.

31a.jpg

The snowblower is mounted to the arms that are used to mount the mower deck on these tractors.
It is raised and lowered by an arm the is hydraulically controlled.

32_zps4a1b960c.jpg

The snowblower is driven with a driveshaft from the Toro tractor.

29-1.jpg

The driveshaft connects to a jackshaft that has a chain that connects down to the right angle drive on the blower.

30.jpg

31-1.jpg

When I first got this all together, the engine had the type of air cleaner that was mounted on the right side of the tractor ( you can see it in the first photo of the tractor ).
The carburetor would freeze up with this air intake system.
I made up a metal "heat box"  that sits on top of the muffler and the air for the engine is drawn thru this heat box.
I never had any more problems with the carb freezing up.

SAM_0255_zps7849a43f.jpg

Last winter was the coldest that we have had for a long time.
I ended up putting an electric water heater on the engine so I can plug it in about a half hour before I go out and snowblow.
This makes it easier for the engine to start and I don't have to wait for the engine to heat up before  I have heat in the cab.

SAM_0256_zpsd9dcee0c.jpg

I have been using this tractor for removing snow since 2003 and I'm very pleased with the way it has worked out.

Edited by jdcrawler, December 09, 2014 - 05:53 PM.

• NUTNDUN, Bruce Dorsi, hamman and 11 others have said thanks

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 05:05 PM

Very nice Ray. I like the way you have tweaked it as problems arose from using it. With that said. When you move to warmer climates I think you should leave it at my place, and i promise if you get home sick to use it you would be welcome to come up anytime during the winter to get your fill of it again.  LOL Seriously, it looks and works great. Your skill at adapting and making things work amazes me. Thanks for sharing. Sure could of used it here last winter.                            Roger.

• jdcrawler and propane1 have said thanks

#3 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 05:25 PM

Thanks for the pics and write up. Great job.
  • jdcrawler said thank you

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 05:32 PM

Nice. I like that.  Heated cab. Noel

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 05:58 PM

That's a neat machine. I have a Toro also, a 322D with the Mitsubishi K3D diesel in it. I don't have the cab though! If I had a blade for it, I'd use it for pushing snow! Thanks for bringing it past us again!

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 06:48 PM

You were born to be an engineer with all those improvements you figure out.  :thumbs:

Ben W.

#7 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 07:05 PM

I had not seen these pics before. 

GREAT WORK, RAY !!! 

I have become a great admirer of your workmanship and skills after seeing your various projects.  ...Restoration projects are one thing, but your creativity and engineering on these "out-of-the-ordinary" modifications is greatly appreciated by me.

I had questions about the snowblower adaption, but I found all my answers in the photos.

Thanks for posting this! 

• jdcrawler and Moosetales have said thanks

#8 EricR ONLINE  

EricR
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9495
  • 393 Thanks
  • 278 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 08:09 PM

That Toro would be the ultimate snow machine in my book, GREAT job!

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 08:14 PM

Ray you did an awesome job with that Toro just like you do with all your projects. Definitely a great snow moving machine now and it is nice that you took us through it's process from start to finish. Thanks for the great post.

One thing I do want to ask is with the extra additions for the snowblower to eat more snow how much has it affected the speed at which you can clean a path? I am sure it slowed it down some but curious to hear how much. 

#10 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted December 10, 2014 - 10:18 AM

One thing I do want to ask is with the extra additions for the snowblower to eat more snow how much has it affected the speed at which you can clean a path? I am sure it slowed it down some but curious to hear how much. 

It does slow down some when the snow is real deep or it is wet and heavy but I have learned to use only 2/3 or 1/2 of the cutting  width in those conditions and it works fine.

Most of the time though, it moves along at a good pace.

With this tractor having a 4-cylinder engine, it has a lot more power than the John Deere tractor did.

If you look back at the photos of the chain drive on the blower, you will see that I have a larger sprocket on the driveshaft driving a smaller sprocket on the blower.

This makes the auger rotate faster than  it would normally spin and moves the snow out of the way quickly.

I very seldom have any problem with the chute clogging with the force of the higher spinning auger.

Edited by jdcrawler, December 10, 2014 - 10:19 AM.

• KennyP, Cat385B, EricR and 1 other said thanks